Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    11/03/2009 5:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    I remember Jeff from the Kali Tudo videos. I've never seen somone so exemplify silat in MMA sparring before.
    Filipino Silat, Malay Silat, Sumatran Silat, Indonesian Silat, or Dutch-Indo Silat?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2009 8:41am

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Have you ever had to use it in a real fight?
    Nope, and I hope I never do.

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 7:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Nope, and I hope I never do.
    I hope you never do too!

I have, and they honestly don't work as good as you'd think. They hurt like hell, but do not put people out of the fight.

I'm trying to find a video from a South Korean protest where several police officers beat a man severely about the head with their batons (the same as you have, and I had) and he never goes down. He's bleeding, he's dazed, but he's walking away from the altercation with his friends. I'm having trouble finding it for you though.

My experience was getting rat packed by a couple of dirt bags downtown. One of them was swinging a skate bord at me, the other was going empty hands. Skate board wouldn't commit, or come into range. Empty hands goes for a hay maker, and I clock him on the wrist full power. He flinches, he recoils, but then he comes back for more. One of their friends step in my way and gets the baton, full power to the temple. They walk it off complaining. Mean while, empty hands gets me pined, and skate board starts wailing on me. A shitty night on many levels. ( you all can say what you want about what YOU would do and whatever, but the fact is, when pinned, I couldn't effectively deal with the guy pinning me without skateboard beating my skull in. Now that's t3h r34l $tr33t for you...)

Long story short, those batons are for ****. Weather it the fact that they are hollow inside, or maybe some of the energy is soaked up in between the links, they just don't deliver enough force to do the job right. (I have also bent one all to hell one bashing in a car window. That's right, they are weaker than a car window.)

Now I carry a knife. Legality, brutality, whatever. The next time someone tries to OUTNUMBER AND BRAIN ME they will fucking bleed, and lose mobility, and will not be able to pin me down for their dirt bag ***** friends. (had I cut that guy where I hit him, he would not have been able to hold me down. He probably would have been out of the fight, and I would have been gone, or tearing through his bitch ass friend on my way to getting gone.)

That has been my experience, relying on the telescoping baton as an equalizer against multiple armed opponents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always carry at least one pocket folder. I simply like to have options. I don't plan on a couple of strikes from a baton finishing the fight. I hope that they will give me time to either strap on the PF Fliers and get the heck out of dodge or keep my assailants at distance until I can resort to other options.

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 8:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I always carry at least one pocket folder. I simply like to have options. I don't plan on a couple of strikes from a baton finishing the fight. I hope that they will give me time to either strap on the PF Fliers and get the heck out of dodge or keep my assailants at distance until I can resort to other options.
    Well, hopefully you'll never have to do any of those things. But I wanted to save you the trouble that I found myself in when the dang asp was all I had for backup.

Good luck, and train safe!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, you too. I also carry concealed so if it is a situation where I seriously think something bad is going to go down, I will more than likely just draw my firearm right off the bat.

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 12:03pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Filipino Silat, Malay Silat, Sumatran Silat, Indonesian Silat, or Dutch-Indo Silat?
    Mande Muda
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345