Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 4:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Modern Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Modern Arnis vs. Pekiti Tirsia

I train in Modern Arnis. But, I was wondering about Pekiti Tirsia is their a difference? From my understanding Modern Arnis touches basis with it all (Escrima,Pekiti Tirsia, and Arnis)I like doing Modern Arnis. Is Their a school in Toledo,OH (Pekiti Tirsia)?

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 8:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayy1 View Post
    I train in Modern Arnis. But, I was wondering about Pekiti Tirsia is their a difference? From my understanding Modern Arnis touches basis with it all (Escrima,Pekiti Tirsia, and Arnis)I like doing Modern Arnis. Is Their a school in Toledo,OH (Pekiti Tirsia)?
    http://www.pekiti.com/

You want to know the diference? O.k., I'll play...

Modern Arnis (Nice, here's some exemplary stick play for you):
    YouTube - ARNIS Grand Master "Rodel" Dagooc

Pekiti Tersia (wait for it, wait for it... EFIING BADASS!!!!!!)
    YouTube - Philippine Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (PMCMAP)

And that about sums it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 9:53pm

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Modern Arnis does not have the depth of Pekiti in middle range.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 10:10am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
    Modern Arnis does not have the depth of Pekiti in middle range.
    Have you studied both? In the same vein, it can also be said that Pekiti does not have the depth of Modern Arnis in close range AND long range.
    I have not trained in either styles so I really can't say for sure.. just my POV.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor has studied both. Pekiti hass everything at long range that Modern Arnis has. Modern Arnis however does not have the middle range methods as Pekiti has.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulogod View Post
    Have you studied both? In the same vein, it can also be said that Pekiti does not have the depth of Modern Arnis in close range AND long range.
    I have not trained in either styles so I really can't say for sure.. just my POV.
    Pekiti Tersia has PLENTY of close range, if you do some digging you should be able to find it on the web.

Also, check the documentary "Kali Means To Scrape", they spend a good amount of time with it's Grand Tuhon, Leo T. Gaje jr. They don't get into the minutia of the art, but you get a lot of history and some really great training footage of both Leo with his nephew Romel, and their PMCMAP stuff. The minutia you can find elsewhere if you look for it.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:28am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The long range stuff in pekiti tirsia is pretty far along in the curriculum, so a pracitioner who has only been doing a year or two might not have a very large toolbox there. Tirsia Largo, "The Eye", Wago Terada, and the Contradas are all different body mechanics than the earlier subsystems. They all require progressively finer timing too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have studied both systems and it's kind of hard to talk about the specific differences between Modern Arnis and Pekiti Tirsia because a lot of the specifics depend on who is teaching it to you. With that being said, these are some of the general differences I've observed.

Weapon preference: Pekiti Tirsia does a lot of knife and sword work compared to Modern Arnis. For that matter, Pekiti also does work with long weapons and guns so there is more focus on variety in general. Modern Arnis spends the majority of training time on single stick, empty hands, and knife defense. There is some knife work, but Remy did not like to teach a lot of knife work publicly because he did not want his style to get a bad reputation. If you train with an earlier generation Arnis instructor there will likely be more espada y daga as well.

Training method: Both styles take a very different approach to training. Pekiti Tirsia tends to take a more athletic approach. In the beginning you will probably do a lot of footwork and striking which can be a good workout. When training technique, Pekiti Tirsia tends to be more dynamic than Modern Arnis with a focus on combining angular footwork and weapon motion as opposed to crashing down the center (this is partly related to tactics). Finally, there is usually more focus on live drilling and sparring with the Pekiti groups I have seen as opposed to a technique repetition focus in Modern Arnis.

Tactics: Both systems are actually focused more on close/middle range fighting as opposed to long range fighting in my experience, but they take different approaches. Modern Arnis was influenced by Balintawak so they will crash directly into the opponent using hard style blocks to stop and control the opponent's weapon. They often finish with a joint lock, disarm, or throw. Pekiti Tirsia focuses more on cutting angles and quartering the opponent to deliver a major attack with the weapon. They also will lock, disarm, or throw, but it often seems secondary to delivering a major shot with the weapon. Part of this focus on angles seems to come from preferring blades to sticks since it is a lot more intimidating crashing up the center against a blade as opposed to a stick.

Fashion: Pekiti Tirsia practitioners seem to like camo and stylish berets whereas Modern Arnis practitioners seem to like modified karate tops with belts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fashion: Pekiti Tirsia practitioners seem to like camo and stylish berets whereas Modern Arnis practitioners seem to like modified karate tops with belts.
    Pekiti guys like wearing all black too.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast