Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2004 9:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What about Bruce Juchnik and Kosho Ryu?

There's a new school here called Kosho Ryu. I talked to the instructor and his own instructor is Bruce Juchnik. I researched it a little on the internet and found that Juchnik studied verbally under James Mitose while Mitose was in prison. The only problem I have so far with their system is the adherence to the Mitose myths. The instructor was friendly but the only skills I saw were his stick work. He said that they incorporated FMA stick style into the system.

Does anyone know about this school?

ps the good thing is the cost is only 50 or 60 a month and they are open from noon to nine pm and anyone can join all the classes they want.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 10:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try again, maybe no one has any experience with this group?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kosho Ryu has a questionable history but many of the pple now recognize that. Bruce doesn't make any outlandish claims and what he tells is fact. All his training was oral but he did train with others from William Chow (founder of Kara ho Kempo head now by Sam Kuoha) who was aa student of Mitose. I have met some decent Kosho pple and some awful ones but all were nice. They do have a big family and following and Mitose definite quallifies as BULLSHIDO but his mark on the MA world is very significant.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have personal experience with Juchnik, his dojo is my neck of the woods (as is Folsom State Prison). The guy is interesting I’ll give him that. About 10 years ago he offered to come to our dojo and gave a class. Things had already gone south between Larry Tatum and my instructor and my instructor was already looking for ways to make what we did more effective, so my instructor agreed.

Juchnik himself came to our black belt class and demonstrated what he thought and how the way he did things had advantages of a lot of the American Kenpo stuff. He had some solid ideas and represented himself quite well. The things he was showing was better than most of the American Kenpo stuff we had seen from others. The problem was most of the stuff we was suggesting we either were already doing or had already done in the past and moved on to something even better. Still there was enough there to start a loose association between our schools. Unfortunately it was short lived and didn’t quite work out for either party.

Juchnik organizes a series of seminars called “The Gathering” or something like that. This is the first major Juchnik event that I went to and my experience is documented in my “Worst Seminar I Ever Went To” article/thread. Juchnik taught there, he did the “knife self-defense” portion that entailed using your conceal knife to stab an unarmed attacker that grabbed your lapel. The section was technically, if not morally or legally, sound. There was other good stuff there, but the bad stuff was really bad. To be fair I should point out I don’t remember any of the other instructors being directly being directly linked to Juchnik, although Juchnik did endorse them as “Masters” of there respective arts.

Like a lot of guys at the top of their organizations, Juchnik has his quirks. Although is white and American, he constantly speaks in broken english in a apparent attempt to sound more “Japanese”. He outwardly stresses things like discipline and order using the Japanese as and example, but when my instructor went to visit him at his dojo, Juchnik’s school and personal office seemed full of chaos and clutter. Like many top dogs, he seems to have bought into a little too much of his own hype, and carries himself with a little too much ego.

For us working with Juchnik had potential, but there just wasn’t enough there for a long term relationship. After a few months he and my instructor that we were just going in different directions. Juchnik wanted to teach, not share ideas. I don’t really know how many hard feelings there were, but I do know we were taken of the mailing list and not “invited” to attend anymore Gatherings until just recently.

I’d say this school your talking about is worth a shot. I guess it all depends what progress Juchnik has made in the last 10 or so years, and how directly this instructor follows his teachings.

Skeptic

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 11:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied for a short while at a Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo school before it closed and found their focus on practical application refreshing. The other nice part was the lack of the "Camaro Boy" macho posers who thought that they looked really cool in black gi's. Sheeeessh! The school I studied at was under the guidance of Roland Roemer, who trained with Juchnik, if I recall my history correctly.

I am thinking about going to a Kosho Ryu school but am pondering if I should get my sloppy ass to a gym for a little while first. Don't necessarily wanna be suckin' wind my first day there.

Definitely go check it out and keep us posted.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 1:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went in and worked out a bit. The second time the instructor, Shihan/sensei Perales asked me again what I was there for and I came off offending him. He said "You've come into my school to judge me?" I asked if I should leave and he said no, it was ok, but he was pissed at my attitude. (It's all Bullshido's fault). He also asked if we should get the gloves on and go for it. I said no. So that night we did sieza for almost a half hour and at first I was ok, then I was miserable and then I started laughing. He had to help me stand as my legs were gone and said with some surprise that I had done well. I think I had come on to him a little hard and maybe he's sensitive and he though I was a jerk. He also teaches stick and sword and one of the things that he said while we were in agony was "If I can't trust you to sit still, why should I trust you with a sword?" Being an old trad guy I'd done seiza before and have no problem with that sort of thing. He told me later that the point was to break thru the ego. It did. I actually had a personal problem had been bugging me for a week that I solved while being tortured and I felt great. When I was still stumbling from numbness I told him that I was now ready to put on the gloves and go for it. We got a good laugh out of that.

Punisher implied that J, the master, is a bit full of himself and this may be reflected in his students, I imagine. But I do like the guy and he knows a lot of things that I don't. Like jo, bo, sword, wrestling, the three versions of naihanchi kata, and has a very good sparring ability to take advantage of my over-extensions and imbalance.

So I am training there two or three times a week. His class is refreshing in that there is none of the stand in line doing air drills. He seems to play it by ear, depending on who is there and the energy, we do stick, wrestling, spar, drill, or whatever. He stars with a bit of standing meditation and then we form groups of two or three and he goes from group to group giving instruction. Usually everyone is working on the same sort of thing, but sometimes not. His emphasis seems to be on balance. We have done several drills that I thought were Mickey Mouse. Like push back and forth until one person is dumped. I did think it was Mickey Mouse, but then he threw me five times in a row and even stubborn old Pat had to agree that there was something to it. After an hour of practice I went with him and did manage to throw him but we both knew I had to use too much force.

The relaxed atmosphere is refreshing. I was working out with one mellow school (emotionally) and one that was getting more and more "drop and give me twenty" yelling bs. When I got yelled at I walked to the side of the room, got the instructors attentions and bowed and haven't been back. Shihon never yells except for kiai and while hitting hard never seems to get very upset about stuff.

When I started a month ago I was the only bb student. Then two weeks ago a big kempo bb joined and last week a TDK (whom I talked about in the Osiris BB thread) bb woman joined. So the class seems to be taking off. It's great to have four black belts in a small class of maybe ten of us total. The skill and energy of the group has improved a bunch with the new bbs. (He has us wear our belts, though making very clear we are ranked in other systems - he honors the other systems and said it is good for the n00bs to see older people who have done this for life)

Skeptic

Posted On:
    3/30/2004 12:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to see you like the place.

In general, I've found the Kosho Ryu folks I've met to be a decent group, as I said in a previous post. There was one guy that some would consider on the fringe, but only because he had a proper atttitude toward training: train hard and with intent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 4:18am

Style: Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howdy-Howdy!

First time poster, long time reader.

I came up with this the other day, thought I would post it here and spark this thread alive again:
    The Martial Arts Collective Society

Hanshi Bruce Juchnik is the founder and president of the Martial Arts Collective Society. He is the head of Kosho Ryu Kempo and is considered to be the unifier of the Martial Arts and of Kempo.
    Pretty big claim there. I don't think that many people have heard of him internationally.

"All your bases are belong to us".
    Last edited by mekugi; 6/04/2004 4:20am at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 10:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kosho Shoeri Ryu Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fug, who and where is this dojo, I may know the guy. I'm a Kosho guy and have met a bunch around the country (at seminars).

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have personally known and associated with Bruce Juchnik for just under sixteen years. While he is the preverbial business man he is verry ligit. There have been instructors at the gathering that have not stood up to the test, as well as instructors i will never forget. The main goal was not to be the "uniter of martial arts" but to unite martial artists and get them to lose the ego behind "my system is better".

In the years of attending the gathering i have made countless connections with some top notch martial artists. I do not always agree with Bruce and admit i have been dissapointed once or twice. However he has been tenfold the supporter and senior advisor i respect him for.

You may not like all or the instructors at the gathering but you will leave the event having grown and making new friends with a lot to offer.

Remember it is about your personal journey, growth and humility. Go to the gathering, if only to find the connections you need to grow and to have more to share. Bruce is just the guy who opened the door.

It is up tu us to unite the MA, Bruce just had the idea. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mekugi View Post
    Howdy-Howdy!

First time poster, long time reader.

I came up with this the other day, thought I would post it here and spark this thread alive again:
    The Martial Arts Collective Society

Pretty big claim there. I don't think that many people have heard of him internationally.

"All your bases are belong to us".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast