Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting one's own martial art...

...awarding oneself a 10th Dan and proclaiming oneself Supreme Grandmaster/Hanshi/Soke/Kancho/etc. - under what circumstances is this considered acceptable by the wider MA community? Is it *ever* considered an acceptable practice?

Just trying to get this down straight, being a n00b.

I suppose that if you were already extremely high-ranking in another art and you believed that you'd developed a New Way Of Doing It that was superior, or added something significant to the style that made it, in your opinion, better but now fundamentally different - then that might be a legitimate reason...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:48pm

Style: Liquid Schwartz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, "awarding oneself" a 10th degree & proclaiming to be a Soke, Grandmaster or whatever is NEVER acceptable. Especially when it's one of their own invention.
    Being a "Founder" is one thing, but giving yourself 10th degrees and traditional titles are simply delusions of grandeur .:jerkit2yf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:54pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure why anyone would want to even try and form their own art. I have enough trouble working through the ones I have avaialble to me.

I guess if you are a visionary and you are willing to take the time to formulate something truly unique, then it MIGHT be alright. But how many Kano, Gracie, Emperado,.......type people are there out there. I think they are few and far between.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:56pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say when you start teaching people, and they start beating up top ranking members of other respective arts, then you can claim you have your own art. Until then, you are just playing circle jerk.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread needs MOAR Jason Brinn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:59pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally it seems like if you are bored, have free time, like watching kung fu movies, and need to make some money quick, that is the appropriate time to form your own martial art and proclaim yourself 10th dan and photoshop a picture of yourself throwing Sokaku Takeda out a window.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 1:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfinger View Post
    IMO, "awarding oneself" a 10th degree & proclaiming to be a Soke, Grandmaster or whatever is NEVER acceptable. Especially when it's one of their own invention.
    Being a "Founder" is one thing, but giving yourself 10th degrees and traditional titles are simply delusions of grandeur .:jerkit2yf
    I suppose that you could defend the 10th degree thing by claiming that you need to establish a belt system for the Nu-Budo...

Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I am not sure why anyone would want to even try and form their own art. I have enough trouble working through the ones I have avaialble to me.

I guess if you are a visionary and you are willing to take the time to formulate something truly unique, then it MIGHT be alright. But how many Kano, Gracie, Emperado,.......type people are there out there. I think they are few and far between.
    Heh, the problem seems to be that there are too many people out there who think that they're the next Kano, Gracie, Emperado, Bruce Lee, etc. - when really they're just BBJ blue belts who also do a bit of Karate/Wing Chun on the side and then decide to smash together what they know and give it a fancy name...

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 1:24pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, those BBJ Bluebelts.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 1:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Ah, those BBJ Bluebelts.
    Argh.

*bangs head on desk*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 1:39pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    I would say when you start teaching people, and they start beating up top ranking members of other respective arts, then you can claim you have your own art. Until then, you are just playing circle jerk.
    No, IF you promoted someone else and eventually someone promoted under their lineage promoted you, THEN it's a circle jerk. Until then it's just public masterbation. Unless it's a secret martial art, then it's just masturbation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast