Posted On:
    10/06/2009 6:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sayoc Kali

Hi All,

I apologise if this has been asked on a previous thread but would like to know what people think of Sayoc Kali.

I myself have never trained in it but I have met people who have. One person I know said to me that he doesn't like Sayoc because it will not work for him because he is alot smaller that Tuhon Chris Sayoc (ie it seems that Tuhon Chris is using strength rather than technique).

Another person that actually went on a Sayoc seminar in Ireland told me to study the knife techniques from another more established FMA Style then buy an anatomy book.

AA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 7:38am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a fan of how much they charge but they do have some thing to offer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 7:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does Sayoc kali compare to say Doce Pares, Pekiti-Tirsia or Kali Ilustrisimo knife?

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:00pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More knife focused, more "energy-based" drills early on. The footwork and mechanics are "smaller" (y'know, like they focus on a shorter weapon). Mechanically very similar to pekiti tirsia's knifework(although the heels stay further down), but pedagogically very different- like the difference between sambo and BJJ.

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAccountant View Post
    How does Sayoc kali compare to say Doce Pares, Pekiti-Tirsia or Kali Ilustrisimo knife?
    Pekiti Tersia is what the Philippine special forces train in. Last I heard they had never lost a man during a counter terror operation. That alone is quite remarkable. So if you can find a really good instructor, go for it!

That said, though I've never trained with the Sayok guys, their knife stuff looks good. I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to party with them if it came up. (of course, this is coming from a shameless style whore who sucks up anything useful like a sponge.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 2:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sayoc Kali was heavily influenced by Pekiti Tirsia thought it is different than Pekiti Tirsia. Just as Atienza was heavily influcenced by Pekiti Tirsia.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 3:43pm

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what I liked about Sayoc Kali is that the hand is very similar to the flow in short hand Siu-Lum/Hakka Kuen, but with a blade. It flows, runs, and comes in at "unconventional" angles, making it very dangerous, while being easy to assimilate for a Southern Gung-Fu pratitioner such as myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 4:53pm

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From an outsider's point of view, Sayoc knife drills look like Modern Arnis' tapi-tapi plus Sayoc's unique style, skills and characteristics. The emphasis on knife usage may be influenced by ptk but the movements are more akin to doce pares and/or modern arnis.. imho.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2009 11:37pm

Style: kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are we really going here again?

to answer the original poster:

I am 5'11", 190 lbs (and round IS a shape :eusa_danc).

I find that Sayoc works for me very well. I assure you that while the power of the blade is something that we train in Sayoc, technique plays a significant role in what we do.

What are you interested in learning?

Quote Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
    Sayoc Kali was heavily influenced by Pekiti Tirsia thought it is different than Pekiti Tirsia. Just as Atienza was heavily influcenced by Pekiti Tirsia.
    matrixdutch:

What are you basing your specious assertion on?

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 11:04am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    to answer the original poster:

I am 5'11", 190 lbs (and round IS a shape :eusa_danc).

I find that Sayoc works for me very well. I assure you that while the power of the blade is something that we train in Sayoc, technique plays a significant role in what we do.

What are you interested in learning?

matrixdutch:

What are you basing your specious assertion on?
    "Influenced" is not a spurious assertion. It would be very odd for any of the many trainers they spent so long with NOT to influence them in the sayocs case. My understanding is that the atienza's were much younger when GT gaje was around, so I would expect the influence to be lesser, as they had less time in exposure, and more exposure to other elements later.

I personally know some of the people who went out to the sayocs driveway to train them when they were in their early teens.

Saying that sayoc is "based on" pekiti would I think be more spurious. There is clearly a plurality of training influences there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast