Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:33pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I may have gotten myself involved in something stupid... HELP!

Condensed version: I am now scheduled to meet up with someone this Sunday and 'spar' with them. Their idea of sparring, however, is basically just hitting all out, they don't want to use gloves, they essentially just want to fight. I really just want to get this out of the way and never have to do it again, so, not owning any gloves or mitts, I am just going to wrap up my hands and go through with it.

Now, I have 8 months of judo and around 6 months of boxing under my belt, I'm considerably fitter in terms of cardio and endurance, am 191 lbs and around 6'2, reasonably lean and quite strong, as people go. He's 187 lbs and roughly 5'11. The only difference is he's a body builder and is insanely strong. I spar a bit here and there, and am fine with randori against opponents of all shapes and sizes. However, the whole reason behind wanting to spar was so that I could actually attempt to slowly start fusing my boxing and judo in a safe environment. This isn't turning out to be the case, and I am building up a lot of anxiety and stress. And the worst part of it is, I'm 19, and I really can't back out from something like this.

Tell it to me straight, bullies: What chance do I have against someone shorter yet a lot stronger than me who has been in more brawls than I have, but doesn't do anything other than body build and has no fighting training? I'd like to think it's as easy as nullifying his strength with technique, but that's easier said than done. For instance, once this Sunday plan was setup, I realised that for all the improvements I have made on the ground, I dunno how to hit someone on the ground or defend from punches on the ground. It also occured to me that guarding with what are effectively just my fists and arms... cover a much smaller space than 16 oz gloves.

The only plan I've managed to formulate is to use my superior reach and fitness to make him gas out, hopefully throw him, where I'd end up in some sort of front mount (I wouldn't assume he knows any guard). I just really don't even want to take one hit from this guy lest I break something. The worst part of it is, we're actually friends, and he's not an asshole, so I just don't feel compelled to hit him, even if it'd save myself to break his nose. Should I be ok? I don't even think he knows how to punch properly, but his arms are like wrecking balls... for all the confidence I've gained this year, I'm still a little worried. If he were wearing fingerless gloves and a mouthguard I'd have no qualms, but now I have to spar this guy for 15 minutes on Sunday with nothing other than my boxing wraps and the cheapest mouthguard that money can buy.

Ok, now as to WHY I am in this mess:

Spoiler:

So, last night I got home from Judo... and was in a good mood. An old friend from high school goes to the gym at our university gym, where my boxing and judo take place upstairs in the martial arts gym. He offered me a lift home, which I politely accepted. Now, we get into a discussion, and I generally dislike most 'gym junkie' types, especially the commercial gym goers. This guy used to be the thin athletic type but has bulked up (and put on a little bodyfat too)... and I asked him how much he deadlifts. He has no idea what a deadlift is, so I describe it, and he replies "No, I don't actually do those".

For shame. I get home and start talking to the one gym guy whom I actually respect. I kinda stopped the gym last year and just took up Judo and Boxing this year to get the strength, cardio and practical skills they offer, and just do a lot of core strength excercises by myself. This guy... was my role model when I was in highschool though. When he was midway through highschool, he went from around 100-102 kg so... in around 222 lbs, and lost like 55lbs/20 kg and then bulked up. He benches and deadlifts fucking... stupid amounts. Now, when I finished highschool in 2007, I just went down to around 185 lbs/86-87kgish from 222lbs/101 kg, then I got a little bigger from gym, but then I just started losing fat and getting leaner this year from quitting gym and taking up boxing and Judo (my actual weight has remained the same though)

Anyway, the topic of 'sparring' comes up... guy really has no idea why it's not good to cut your knuckles or break them, and, yeah, I'm worried.

What can I do to stop myself... losing teeth or having my nose shattered? Because if I can actually just take him down and sub him, then we're just gonna keep going, increasing the chance of me breaking something.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:44pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What time is it on? I'm flying back from my fight sunday so if i can be back in time i'll come along to ref to make sure no one gets too hurt. Buy two sets of mma sparring gloves and bring them along as well as a mouthguard. I don't care how expensive it is for a uni student, you made your bed and now you have to sleep in it.

If you are smart you will back out of this and go along to an open sparring day at an MMA place in town where a couple of our other members go and test yourself in an ego-free environment there.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are insane if you go through with this. Many of us have spent lots of time sparring outside of class, but it's been with fellow mas, not some gorilla with whom we've gotten into a pissing contest.

I'd invite him to train with you and spar on mats with a ref/coach so no one gets injured.

So, bring a six pack of beer and offer to talk and drink.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/05/2009 11:50pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    What time is it on? I'm flying back from my fight sunday so if i can be back in time i'll come along to ref to make sure no one gets too hurt. Buy two sets of mma sparring gloves and bring them along as well as a mouthguard. I don't care how expensive it is for a uni student, you made your bed and now you have to sleep in it.

If you are smart you will back out of this and go along to an open sparring day at an MMA place in town where a couple of our other members go and test yourself in an ego-free environment there.
    Backing down right now.. **** it, since when do I care what others think? There are such things as open sparring days :O!?

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you feel compelled to spar using their "rules?" Why can't you just explain that you are fine with a punch up but due to work or whatever you can't risk breaking your hand or cutting your face (or worse)? I really don't see why you should be so cornered here.

*scratches head*

If anything, at least wear a mouth guard. But also, this is a pretty stupid idea for a couple guys that have little to no experience fighting with little to zero gear.

edit: Good on ya, Obesely. And don't think of it as backing out, more of wising up.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha of course you noob! Pretty much every mma gym is ok with people coming along on Saturdays to spar with their guys if they are ego-free. Especially if they know one of the gym's members or send an email ahead. The only place in town which i know isn't like this is Nuggets who will have one of his fighters literally knock you the **** out.

Check out this place http://www.advancemartialarts.com.au/class.html and either send a PM to Mr.Miyagi asking about open sparring or write them an email asking if its ok for you to come along saturday or sunday for some sparring.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm texting him now. I'd be ok to roll without striking though, right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, judo, muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you train boxing yet don't own a pair of boxing gloves?

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it'd be a good idea to start doing some sparring with light strikes allowed though. Learning how to apply your judo while people try to hit you is a valuable skill.
    Kenny Weldon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon do, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have engaged your mind before engaging your mouth.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast