Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 6:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're at it, another Hearns fight. This time, Hearns makes quick work of and aged and way out of his prime Roberto Duran with a devastating KO, retaining the world superwelterweight title.

Notice Hearns' masterwork usage of the jab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWei_1rSssE

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 7:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out View Post
    While we're at it, another Hearns fight. This time, Hearns makes quick work of and aged and way out of his prime Roberto Duran with a devastating KO, retaining the world superwelterweight title.

Notice Hearns' masterwork usage of the jab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWei_1rSssE
    Congrats to Lights Out. I've agreed with all that you've said in this thread.

Sadly the links are blocked in this office. Some fights to consider:

Edwin Rosario v Julio Cesar Chavez. A phonebox war.

Don Curry v Mike McCallum. Curry boxing superbly behind a high guard, partially drops McCallum, who instinctively throws a KO Right. Astonishing.

Cheers

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 8:07am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, This is my kind of thread!

Morales vs Paqauio
    YouTube - Morales vs Pacquiao I "What boxing is all about"

Duran vs Leonard - Duran spent most of his career going up in weight to fight bigger opponents this was a great fight from 1980.
    YouTube - duran vs leonard ("The Brawl in Montreal") (1980) part 1
    Duran is soo underated. Amazing Fighter.
    YouTube - Roberto Duran Highlight

Ward vs Gatti 1:
    YouTube - Arturo Gatti vs Ward greatest fight of all time inspirationa

Ali vs Frazier 3
    YouTube - Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 3 - Thrilla in Manila Mix

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 8:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Duran is soo underated. Amazing Fighter.
    No offense, but any boxer not coming from the USA eventually gets the "underrated" treatment. The thing is, most modern boxers (from the seventies to today) usually quit as soon as they find it's becoming harder for them to win. But Duran was one of those fighters who didn't know when to quit. Not many boxers these days have more than 100 fights under their belts. Duran last fought at 50 years old, go figure.

Also, I beleive the easy life took on him pretty soon (right after his victory over Leonard), and paid the price. Still, 103 wons with 70 KOs, that's quite impressive.

Moving forward, and speaking of underrated fighters, I'd recommend watching Fernando Vargas' fights against De la Hoya and Trinidad. De la Hoya vs. Trinidad is a good fight too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 10:08am

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These posts are so awesome that I'm going to fail out of school. Just wanted to put that out there.

However, to keep this post from being a complete waste of space, here's another legendary Dempsey fight: Dempsey v. Tunney I

YouTube - Jack Dempsey vs. Gene Tunney

That whole crouching and charging thing just wasn't working for Jack in this fight. I'm not sure that he had ever faced a really defensive boxer before this fight.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 10:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, Gene Tunney, the first "scientific" boxer ever, way ahead of his time.

Despite being from New York, Tunney combined indoor with outdoor training (chopping wood, rowing on boats, etc.) and was a pioneer in studying his opponents filmed fights to learn their style and look for weaknesses.

He was also the first boxer to get paid one million dollars for a single fight (his rematch against Dempsey).

At the time, Tunney was not very well regarded, even if he was considered a hero in New York, the majority of the nation regarded him as the guy who beat a star. He was quite literate and surround himself with writers.

To me, Dempsey and Tunney form a powerful image, the strong pioneer and the literate cosmopolite dandy, representing the two sides of the triumphant America that arose after WWI, a complex-free America that no longer looks up to Europe.

Excuse me, I get a little bit carried over when I talk about boxing.

Anyway, how come we haven't talked yet about Bernard Hopkins?

Watch his fight against Trinidad, a must see.

Here's a Hopkins highlight, not a fight, but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akkc7KSGBto

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offense, but any boxer not coming from the USA eventually gets the "underrated" treatment.
    Thats becuase the American media has a tendency to ignore fighters from outside of the USA. Even in recent times, just look at Calzaghe virtually nobody had heard of him in the US until his fight with Lacy.(he was 44-0 by this point) or Kostya Tszyu despite being the number one in his division for years he was pretty much ignored.

Duran was certainly not ignored but he was somewhat overshadowed by the hype surrounding Sugar Ray Leonard etc.
    This is a guy who walked around at 130lbs but won titles at Lightweight, Welterweight, Junior Middleweight and Middleweight.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 2:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got much love for Duran, he had big hands and shoulders for a guy his size, probably had soemthing to do with his punch power.

Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Kostya Tszyu despite being the number one in his division for years he was pretty much ignored.
    Kostya Tszyu has an insanely strong punch for a guy his size. Here's Zab Judah showing Tszyu how to dance the twist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7A3rMN6Co

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 9:49pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just throwing this out there.

Post 16. Hopkins uses tenkan to swoop around his opponent around 1 minute into the highlight really. Pro Boxer has t43 r34l aikido.

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 4:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got much love for Duran, he had big hands and shoulders for a guy his size, probably had soemthing to do with his punch power.

Kostya Tszyu has an insanely strong punch for a guy his size. Here's Zab Judah showing Tszyu how to dance the twist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7A3rMN6Co
    That's a great clip! gotta love the expression on Judahs face 'I'm fine that's how i normally walk'. lol
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast