Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:51am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I'm an emergency medical folk. Thus far my only "use" for the carotid artery is for taking a central pulse. The rule is to never take it from both sides, because you cut off the fucking flow of blood to the brain, which causes a conscious patient to pass out, and an unconscious patient to die. Funny, my anatomy textbook makes no mention of carotid baroreceptors in either the nervous system nor the circulatory chapters.

Long post short (I know, too late) is that you're kind of an idiot, but there might be hope. Stop reading about "pressure points" and pain compliance and learn how to leverage position to dominate your will on another person.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carotid+sinus+massage

Also, I'm not sure who you are referring to as an idiot, if it's me, let me just say I dont have any more faith in TCM for doing damage than i do for healing. Which is not a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 12:22pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny, my anatomy textbook makes no mention of carotid baroreceptors in either the nervous system nor the circulatory chapters.
    I've learnt about them before (in the context of volumetric thirst), but can't find them in my textbooks either. I find stuff on the interwub on them.

I have no idea if they actually work in the combat scenarios described, but they seem to exist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 8:29pm

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoj, here's why you're an idiot;

You're talking about the fine manipulation of tiny, possibly imaginary "things" in an area of the body that doesn't require a whole lot of finesse to damage in the first place.

You're talking about performing surgery with a baseball bat.

Just hit the guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just hit the guy.

In the face.....Or groin......

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 4:43am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoj, here's why you're an idiot;

You're talking about the fine manipulation of tiny, possibly imaginary "things" in an area of the body that doesn't require a whole lot of finesse to damage in the first place.

Just hit the guy.
    Thats what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    There are some that are valid, Stomach 9 for example is very real and will drop you like a sack of **** if it's struck properly, but thats usually the problem, hitting them properly.
    The OP wanted to know what they were, I gave an explanation of what the pressure point folks think they are, i don't happen to believe they are viable at all,which is why I also stated that apart from a few "PP" that are pretty obviously effective the rest aren't really a lot of use for anything other than a nice massage or highly compliant drills. And those that are effective are so because the target area is big enough that all you have to do is whack that area with some reasonable force.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 6:44am

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    the rest aren't really a lot of use for anything other than a nice massage or highly compliant drills.
    HAHAHA
    Did you MEAN to put it like that?
    If you did, that was awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 8:15am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    I've learnt about them before (in the context of volumetric thirst), but can't find them in my textbooks either. I find stuff on the interwub on them.

I have no idea if they actually work in the combat scenarios described, but they seem to exist.
    Well yes in that very case they do exist, in the form of the cranial nerve pair number X, which are located behind the carotids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope as usual it is wiki but it has the general jest.

If you have been in the army, it happens when people are standing to attention waiting for potentate to leave his comfy office whilst you are freezing you gonads off. (no that I am bitter or anything). And they start falling off for no apparent reason.

The problem is that we do not really know what happen, how it happens and why it happens.
    Since ki adept can not reproduce it constantly let alone on non compliant giunea pigs , and medical science is in the blue, we do not know what are the condition to consistently induce the syncope.
    It is pretty much as useful as chocolate fire guard, unless you got the medieval approach and hit them as hard as you can in the general area.

phil
    Last edited by willaume; 10/06/2009 8:21am at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123