Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:39pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nnate View Post
    I didn't say I didn't believe you, but I am skeptical of anything MA related on the internet until I test it. It's just a general rule I follow. It's nothing personal.
    I know, I wasnt taking anything personal! I was just expanding on your question. For example, some people believe, that because it's all chinese medicine theory, it's more effective if done at the right time of the day, when chi is rising or something, the truth is, some parts of the body are more delicate than others. The neck, the nads, solar plexus, all have an effect, and are viable targets, the rest, not so much...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:43pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a Karate instructor who calls pressure points by thier "Meridan" names. His favorite is "Gaul Bladder 32", which is situated on the the outside of the leg, middle of the thigh.
    Its the place I aim for when Im kicking to the leg, I just don't call it "Gaul Bladder 32", Mainly because im not a pretentious twat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:44pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    The second mechanism is blunt trauma to a solid organ or the dreaded "liver shot." Abdominal organs for the most part are covered with a thin but very tough fibrous membrane called a capsule. The capsule of solid organs (liver, spleen, kidneys, etc.) does not like to be stretched or deformed. The capsule of hollow organs (intestines, bladder, stomach, etc.) is specifically designed to accommodate stretching.
    And here I assumed it was because the liver is an endocrine center and it messed you up with an endocrine response as well as being highly sensitive (by nerves).

As for the original post, a "nerve strike" would be a strike to a nerve (bundle of axons). Nerves bring sensory information to the central nervous system or send motor (or other) signals from the CNS to the rest of the body. It seems reasonable that a strike to a nerve would interfere with the signals.

Once a "nerve" is in the central nervous system, it is called a tract.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 8:02pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    I know, I wasnt taking anything personal! I was just expanding on your question. For example, some people believe, that because it's all chinese medicine theory, it's more effective if done at the right time of the day, when chi is rising or something, the truth is, some parts of the body are more delicate than others. The neck, the nads, solar plexus, all have an effect, and are viable targets, the rest, not so much...
    I didn't think you took it the wrong way, but I did want to make it clear where I was coming from.

Anyway, I appreciate it that you took the time to explain.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pressure points exist, but as have been mentioned, hitting more than one at a time can be difficult at best. The outside of the thigh, just above and behind the knee, is a common one that Thai boxers use.

Another thing! Not all pressure points have to be struck (as in impact).
    YouTube - Catch Wrestling Shin Lock Submissions

Sit cross-legged, take your elbow, put it just behind the shin bone, where it meets your calf, and drive it downward. SUCKS. Also, think of pain-compliance points that you can drive your knuckles/fingers into. An old Judo coach said if someone turtled against me, I should look for a choke by driving my knuckle into the back of the jaw, just below the ear. SUCKS. I don't know how many taps you'll get with these (especially against tough guys with high pain tolerance), but they do work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 12:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 12:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of the online literature regarding this topic has been written by or taken as extracts from either deadly TKD or Dim Mak references......Strange......

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 4:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hay bros and stuf, presure points is crunk of the chain fo reels. so thay is liek mad pain to nock you out fasr, hit in good order, them can evn maek you sick like flew or cold. sometimes its liek you are on a plane and feel sick or have sore brain and you can touch your hand in speshel place and makes it a bit better but not fix it complet. some is like nerve overlord and sum make the mussl in you bodey spazz hard liek rabid dowg. som can maek your brain thind funny stuffs. even u at home you can try to see, slap yourslef hard (but not too hards lewl) on bak of nek with open hand is liek electric shock everywhere or on ther valy between the mussel on yoor forarm you can feel with your thum up kinda close 2 yor elbow, poke thum in there nad it hert lots and still sting afta stop poking, some can use reel easy, liek along jaw there is lots and just punch at it, its not liek a conkushon nokout cos it dosnt shak brainz but boxxer still gets KO. sum is hard to hit with good talent, them need to be hits in the rite order to cut of eech electrical circt so the last 1 to b hit makes a good shutdwn of brain. i hop this can hlep you guys 2 no more abut prssur poynts cos them is shur help in figth if u are can be good at thm. cherio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dan View Post
    hay bros and stuf, presure points is crunk of the chain fo reels. so thay is liek mad pain to nock you out fasr, hit in good order, them can evn maek you sick like flew or cold. sometimes its liek you are on a plane and feel sick or have sore brain and you can touch your hand in speshel place and makes it a bit better but not fix it complet. some is like nerve overlord and sum make the mussl in you bodey spazz hard liek rabid dowg. som can maek your brain thind funny stuffs. even u at home you can try to see, slap yourslef hard (but not too hards lewl) on bak of nek with open hand is liek electric shock everywhere or on ther valy between the mussel on yoor forarm you can feel with your thum up kinda close 2 yor elbow, poke thum in there nad it hert lots and still sting afta stop poking, some can use reel easy, liek along jaw there is lots and just punch at it, its not liek a conkushon nokout cos it dosnt shak brainz but boxxer still gets KO. sum is hard to hit with good talent, them need to be hits in the rite order to cut of eech electrical circt so the last 1 to b hit makes a good shutdwn of brain. i hop this can hlep you guys 2 no more abut prssur poynts cos them is shur help in figth if u are can be good at thm. cherio.

This post is like one long fucked up text message.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:44am

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Nope, chinese medicine/meridian stuff, it's the carotid baroreceptor in the neck, it manages blood pressure, you hit the carotid artery near it, it senses a blood pressure high, and causes a blood pressure drop, but because the high was artificial, the low is very low, and people pass out, or something like that. Medical folks use it in emergencies too. Of course, having the carotid artery temporarily occluded tends to make you feel funny anyway, we know this from chokes.
    I'm an emergency medical folk. Thus far my only "use" for the carotid artery is for taking a central pulse. The rule is to never take it from both sides, because you cut off the fucking flow of blood to the brain, which causes a conscious patient to pass out, and an unconscious patient to die. Funny, my anatomy textbook makes no mention of carotid baroreceptors in either the nervous system nor the circulatory chapters. Punching someone in the neck, however, tends to be pretty damn effective no matter where you hit it.

Let me break this down for you into simple terms - Any time you have a lot of nerves, blood vessels, or vital tubes (like a trachea) in a small volume (like a neck or extremity joint process) all of those sensitive structures have less protection. The only nerve manipulation you can inflict is pain or numbness. You hit nerves, you either cause pain or interrupt their signals which causes numbness. You don't get to pick, though some nerves are more prone to one or the other. Humeric nerve = numbness, mid-axillary node = pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj
    Pressure poiints are real, don't believe me? Hit your nuts with, well anything. thats a pressure point. The trouble is, most pressure points are awkward with a low level of response, pressure point schools argue that by striking several you can induce a physical reaction from the combination, this is usually based on chinese medicine theories, which isnt scientific, and even if they were, the chances of hitting 2 or more very specific points in the time frame required in real combat are very small.
    Your nads are a sensitive structure. The pressure points of Chinese medicine are not based on anatomy, but folk remedies. They are as useful as astrology. There are spots on the body that are more sensitive than others. Ahem, excuse me.

DUH.

That does not mean that by striking nerve bundles close to the skin can result in heart stoppage or digestive issues. Stress, such as stress from being in a fight, can cause these issues, but that's a separate physiological process. Severing a neural pathway through violence isn't chi manipulation. If I break your coccyx or cut off your foot at the ankle with an ax, you're likely to have difficulty feeling your toes.

You have two types of nerves in your body; Sensory and motor. Sensory nerves carry information to your brain. Motor nerves carry instructions to your body. All paths are one-way, no loops or crossovers. Signals do not get crossed. There's no magic. It's obvious that hitting vulnerable clusters will cause issues in a body, those issues being pain and numbness, which is the objective in inflicting blunt trauma in a fight in first fucking place.

Don't overcomplicate things by overthinking them. Hit them where it hurts. It will hurt more on some people, less on others. Cutting off carotid flow is also good. You can accomplish that by choking them or by firing a projectile through their ventricles. Or firing a projectile through pretty much anything.

Long post short (I know, too late) is that you're kind of an idiot, but there might be hope. Stop reading about "pressure points" and pain compliance and learn how to leverage position to dominate your will on another person.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast