Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:24pm

Style: sucker punch, boxing, fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What exactly does "nerve strike" mean?

All jokes like "when you hit all body is presha point" aside, I am wondering what exactly is meant by "pressure point." In national geographic's "fight science" show they chose the ninja because he had deadly pressure point strikes which basically looked like an inside gunting to the bicep

So what's up with all of this?

YouTube - Nerve Strikes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:39pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I understand is, "pressure points" are where nerves, veins and artierys are close to the surface of the skin, with little or no muscle between them and the bone.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Ronin View Post
    As I understand is, "pressure points" are where nerves, veins and artierys are close to the surface of the skin, with little or no muscle between them and the bone.
    so like in fma when they punch the inside of the bicep? yeah that DOES really hurt, but then I suppose this is not the "pressure poin" stuff like "dim mak?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:42pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess whatever overloads the nerves with pain and shuts the body down ?

maybe the brain is one large nerve ?

YouTube - The Anatomy Of The One Punch Knockout

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:44pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some that are valid, Stomach 9 for example is very real and will drop you like a sack of **** if it's struck properly, but thats usually the problem, hitting them properly.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    I guess whatever overloads the nerves with pain and shuts the body down ?

maybe the brain is one large nerve ?
    what about the liver? again this is pretty much the "when you hit all body is presha point" think which sifus love to say as some sort of joke/truth

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 4:25pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Daniels View Post
    what about the liver? again this is pretty much the "when you hit all body is presha point" think which sifus love to say as some sort of joke/truth
    major organs are usually surrounded by nerves, to sense pain, thus make you aware of fucking up and forcing you to move out of the way.

Specifically why the liver shot hurts like a mother, here is something from ask the doc on mmajunkie

============================================

Q. Dr. Benjamin: I have a question for you that's driving me nuts. I've been fighting and sparring for a long time, and over the years I've had all kinds of injuries -- separated shoulders, deep bruises, stress fractures, you name it. However, in all that time I managed to avoid ever taking a serious gut/liver shot until recently. And I think I can easily say that this was one of the most painful things I've ever felt. It was like my entire brain shut down to anything but the pain. Once that subsided, it got me thinking: why does a well placed gut shot hurt so badly? What organ or collection of organs is it that sends a big, fat "ouch" racing up my spinal column? Granted, separating my shoulder was incredibly painful, but even that didn't compare to the gut shot in terms of sheer physical agony. (From William C. Jenkins)

A. Wow. Where are the easy questions? Please allow me to use my knowledge, training and experience to work through this one since my search of the medical literature did not find any good formal studies on this topic.

The"gut" and/or liver shot is often debilitating to say the least. But I believe that there may be two separate and distinct mechanisms related to this incapacitating phenomenon.

First the generic gut shot.

A gut shot is simply blunt force trauma to the abdomen that causes significant pain and difficulty breathing to the recipient. This mechanism has been widely described as related to spasm of the diaphragm. Here goes the dreaded anatomy and physiology lecture. (Sorry, blame it on Bill. He asked the question.)

The diaphragm is a large flat muscle that runs horizontally separates the thoracic cavity (chest, lung and heart) from the abdominal cavity (belly, organs and guts). It acts like a bellow that moves (contracts) up and down changing the pressure within the thoracic cavity in order to help the lungs fill and release air (respiration/breathing). When struck the diaphragm can, for lack of a better word, "cramp" (spasm) causing significant pain and difficulty breathing since it is not moving properly to help the lungs move air.

This has also been commonly described as the "solar plexus" (which, by the way, is not a medical term). I first learned about the solar plexus while watching "wrastlin" on TV on Saturday nights as a little kid in Houston. Man, whatever happened to Gorgeous George, the Von Erich's, Dick Murdoch, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and the Masked Mexican Assassin El Diablo talking about living room throw downs and putting your little brother in a sleeper hold!! Pardon me. I digress.

The second mechanism is blunt trauma to a solid organ or the dreaded "liver shot." Abdominal organs for the most part are covered with a thin but very tough fibrous membrane called a capsule. The capsule of solid organs (liver, spleen, kidneys, etc.) does not like to be stretched or deformed. The capsule of hollow organs (intestines, bladder, stomach, etc.) is specifically designed to accommodate stretching.

The liver is the largest solid organ in the abdomen and quite superficial, which leaves it poorly protected. It is on the upper right side (right upper quadrant) of the belly just above the belly button and extends above the lower border of the rib cage. So a large portion of the liver is left unprotected and relatively exposed to a well placed body shot.

When a solid organ takes a forceful blow and the overlying capsule is stretched, severe pain ensues. Once again, it is the body's attempt to protect itself from further harm or rupture of an organ. Reflexively (without thought), the combatants arms come down to cover the midsection and many times the injured person will fall to the ground and assume a modified fetal position to further protect. The fight is over or soon will be. The primitive instincts of the body have gone into override and are taking on a strictly defensive posture.

Legendary fighters have learned that when you hurt your opponents with a head shot, they will cover their face. Therefore, the next blows should be delivered to the now-exposed body (abdomen/belly). If these clean body shots do not finish the fight, the reflexive covering of the abdomen will lower the hands and leave your opponent's chin begging for more.

High quality MMA is really 95 percent mental. At the most elite levels, everyone has game. But the combatant who can outthink his or her opponent on that particular night has a tremendous advantage.

That's why the combatant with greater athleticism or a superior physique doesn't always win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 5:51pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    There are some that are valid, Stomach 9 for example is very real and will drop you like a sack of **** if it's struck properly, but thats usually the problem, hitting them properly.
    I'm guessing this is in the stomach somewhere?

You know, I don't want to be a skeptical asshole, but I am a skeptic by nature. I'd really like to see how this works, if it does. I'm basically asking in the spirit of the scientific method.

Is there somewhere I could get information on this so I could experiment on my own? Google yields a bunch of conflicting stuff.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:07pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, chinese medicine/meridian stuff, it's the carotid baroreceptor in the neck, it manages blood pressure, you hit the carotid artery near it, it senses a blood pressure high, and causes a blood pressure drop, but because the high was artificial, the low is very low, and people pass out, or something like that. Medical folks use it in emergencies too. Of course, having the carotid artery temporarily occluded tends to make you feel funny anyway, we know this from chokes.

Pressure poiints are real, don't believe me? Hit your nuts with, well anything. thats a pressure point. The trouble is, most pressure points are awkward with a low level of response, pressure point schools argue that by striking several you can induce a physical reaction from the combination, this is usually based on chinese medicine theories, which isnt scientific, and even if they were, the chances of hitting 2 or more very specific points in the time frame required in real combat are very small.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:27pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Nope, chinese medicine/meridian stuff, it's the carotid baroreceptor in the neck, it manages blood pressure, you hit the carotid artery near it, it senses a blood pressure high, and causes a blood pressure drop, but because the high was artificial, the low is very low, and people pass out, or something like that. Medical folks use it in emergencies too. Of course, having the carotid artery temporarily occluded tends to make you feel funny anyway, we know this from chokes.

Pressure poiints are real, don't believe me? Hit your nuts with, well anything. thats a pressure point. The trouble is, most pressure points are awkward with a low level of response, pressure point schools argue that by striking several you can induce a physical reaction from the combination, this is usually based on chinese medicine theories, which isnt scientific, and even if they were, the chances of hitting 2 or more very specific points in the time frame required in real combat are very small.
    I didn't say I didn't believe you, but I am skeptical of anything MA related on the internet until I test it. It's just a general rule I follow. It's nothing personal.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast