Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 2:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are we trying to accomplish here by getting BJJ, kickboxing, or whatever into the Olympics? Has it really made TKD better? Boxing? Judo? Wrestling? It certainly made judo bigger, but it also imposed major political issues, and had ripple effects on strategy and rules.

Remember all the crap about amateur boxing rules the last Olympics? We had a thread about how it was becoming point sparring. I'm not knowledgable about it, but that's one conclusion.

I just don't see what the benefit is.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 10:37am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    What exactly are we trying to accomplish here by getting BJJ, kickboxing, or whatever into the Olympics? Has it really made TKD better? Boxing? Judo? Wrestling? It certainly made judo bigger, but it also imposed major political issues, and had ripple effects on strategy and rules.

Remember all the crap about amateur boxing rules the last Olympics? We had a thread about how it was becoming point sparring. I'm not knowledgable about it, but that's one conclusion.

I just don't see what the benefit is.
    You are absolutley right. I wish I could listen to this logic, but I am a sucker for international competition on a world stage. The UFC, Strikeforce,etc. are distincly american in their promotion and presentation, same with Dream, Sengoku for Japan. Maybe if M-1 global ever lived up to their name, maybe then I would be satisfied.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ, MMA ex capoeir

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Admitedly the rules of Capoeira are not well defined but if it does become an Olympic sport it may very well establish some rules (many are in the process of developing rules actually) i fear it may suffer the same as Olympic Tae Kwon Do... but with takedowns and therefore better lol.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 7:24am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I look at it this way. People paid to watch the ADCC online. At the same time they can't even get people to watch judo when it's free.

Makes me question the whole restriction on judo ground work to make it more popular thing.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 9:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The IOC has major influence over the rule set for any given sport. They "urge" the governing body to change rules to make the sport "better".

The American TV market holds Judo and TKD hostage. They do not show them because they say there is not enough interest. The free web broadcast was a step in the right direction but there was little advertising about it. If more Americans were winning and competing in Judo and TKD then we would see it more on TV in America.

The IOC is always looking to trim the fat when it comes to events. TV ratings AND participating countries are the 2 major contributing factors as to who will stay in the Olympics. Judo is barely viewer friendly. The quick stand up rule is a good example of Judo bowing down to the IOC to make Judo more exciting. So how will BJJ fair in that environment?

The IOC has stated before that it will not have another jacketed martial art in the Olympics. IIRC this was said when Karate made a bid back in the day to get in.

FILA has the best chance of getting sub wrestling in the Olympics. The problem is going to be that not enough people are going to join FILA to make it a viable organization for the IOC to recognize.

Also I see people saying BJJ should take over Judo as a sport in the OLympics. Why not have BJJ people compete in Judo since there is ground work? Before you start on the no time to work on the ground rebuttal just remember the rule says as long as your making progress you will be allowed to stay in newaza. I know the Ippon rule is tough to take but so is watching 2 guys in the missionary position for 5 minutes.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 9:17am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no way BJJ will become an Olympic event, it's just not interesting enough to watch for the average person. Judo has big throws, which makes it ideal for spectators. BJJ is too subtle.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Also I see people saying BJJ should take over Judo as a sport in the OLympics. Why not have BJJ people compete in Judo since there is ground work? Before you start on the no time to work on the ground rebuttal just remember the rule says as long as your making progress you will be allowed to stay in newaza.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry.

I'd like to meet a single Judo ref who knows ground grappling. Just one. I've been stood up while submitting someone with a omoplata in judo for STALLING!

I've been stood up while armbaring someone from the guard. I've been stood up while I had a locked in belly up RNC. Judo ref's simple know nothing of ground work. Hell they barely know what a Ippon is!.

Add on the weird chip that most judo ref's have against bjj and you have a impossible task for anyone who tries to compete in judo without just stopping bjj training and training in judo.

The only time I've ever seen someone win on the ground is if the pin or submission happened the very second they hit the ground.

This is why I quit judo as a competitive sport.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:48am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not disagreeing with refs being idiots. In the US they suck. There is no prejudice towards or against BJJ though just against people who do shitty throws. Once we all pull our heads out of our collective asses we will realize that Judo and BJJ are in essence the same thing. Judo just has the Ippon for the throw.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:45am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit confused by the guys saying BJJ is too niche and the scoring system too obscure for the olympics. Are people aware of olympic dressage? DRESSAGE! I mean come the **** on.

YouTube - Danish Olympic Dressage team 2008

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    I am not disagreeing with refs being idiots. In the US they suck. There is no prejudice towards or against BJJ though just against people who do shitty throws. Once we all pull our heads out of our collective asses we will realize that Judo and BJJ are in essence the same thing. Judo just has the Ippon for the throw.
    I'm not against Ippon or standups either. I just think that the judo rules as they exist and the level of knowledge that the refs have (at least in the US) makes the sport of judo simply unplayable.

I'd like to see a ruleset with a very strict ippon, stand ups with a lot of lead-way (no progressive action for say 45 seconds to a minute) and a positional point system to discourage stalling on the ground. Judo players wouldn't be so apt to turtle if they knew that they were about to be down a few points and they are not going to get stood up in the next 3 seconds.

But that is never going to happen. Grappling is boring, nobody likes it, we should all just quit. :eusa_booh
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234