Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:01pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha2six View Post
    The demo sport(s) won't be decided on until way in the future unless Brazil has already decided on one and is already pushing to have it rostered, so time will tell. But I will say that BJJ has a good chance at it, since it is one of Brazil's premier sports, and an "exclusive" Brazilian combat sport. Maybe Capoeira demos at the ceremonies, but I doubt it for a potential demo sport since the demo sports are supposed to be potentially added to the Olympics.

If the IOC stayed true to the gizz-ame, then Pankration would already be part of the Olympic Combat Sport list.. but.. It doesn't really fall into the guidelines of what we think of as Olympic sport these days, since there really are(should be) no rules. Boxing, Judo, TKD, and Wrasslin' all have strict rules.. Whereas Pank(Vale Tudo) really has little to none.

Even though Karate and TKD have many differences, they have many similarities.. Even though I would love to see Karate in the Olympics, I can see the IOC declining it based on the fact that It's too "similar" to TKD.

The IOC are really picky and I think that they should have picked Brazil because not only will it be the first South American Country to host the Olympics, but it will bolster the Brazilian Economy in all kinds of different ways. I would have been really disappointed if it had gone to any of the other cities. Rio really does deserve it.
    On a serious note.

i hope BJJ becomes an olympic sport, but i doubt it will, or if it does it will be a very different BJJ than the one we see today.

here is why BJJ probably wont be an olympic sport:
    1) its not a point sport, in boxing you can give a point for every successful punch landed, in TKD is kicks, in judo its ippon, all of which usually happen more often in 2~3 minutes than a submission.

2) Even if you did give points for things like positions or strategies, it is less of a spectator sport, or maybe i should say too complex for a none fans spectator sport, in boxing you can give points for landed strikes, which are obvious, however some things done in BJJ are less obvious, and someone not knowledgeable might not understand why you get points for inserting hooks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:03pm

Style: Hybrid Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ should without the shadow of a doubt be at LEAST a demonstration sport. Just look what it has done for Martial arts, all the celebrities practicing it, all the kids choosing it instead of TKD or whatever, how it has made "Gracie" a household name. Glima was a demonstration sport at the summer olympics in Stockholm 1912 and it wasnt even Swedish to start with!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    On a serious note.
    here is why BJJ probably wont be an olympic sport:
    1) its not a point sport, in boxing you can give a point for every successful punch landed, in TKD is kicks, in judo its ippon, all of which usually happen more often in 2~3 minutes than a submission.
    Dude, BJJ has points. You get points for takedowns, passing guard, mount, taking the back and sweeps.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2) Even if you did give points for things like positions or strategies, it is less of a spectator sport, or maybe i should say too complex for a none fans spectator sport, in boxing you can give points for landed strikes, which are obvious, however some things done in BJJ are less obvious, and someone not knowledgeable might not understand why you get points for inserting hooks.
    But in 7 years will the general audience be more knowledgeable about bjj?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard View Post
    Dude, BJJ has points. You get points for takedowns, passing guard, mount, taking the back and sweeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleskunk View Post
    But in 7 years will the general audience be more knowledgeable about bjj?
    I hope, however it will still have to start from the knees so it doesnt get confused as less impact judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:27pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope, however it will still have to start from the knees so it doesnt get confused as less impact judo
    I was given to understand BJJ tournies start standing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    I was given to understand BJJ tournies start standing

Not an olympic sport, guess why

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I would want BJJ/Sambo/MT/Pank/Karate/Sanda to be Olympic sports, they're way too similar to Judo, Wrestling, TKD, and Boxing to be let in at present. If they took out TKD, maybe we could see them institute MT, Karate, or Sanda (not much chance of that one), but to see another grappling art put in, I think they'd have to take out Judo (wrestling looks way too different, so I think it'll stay in).

Rio's great though, I do expect to see some Capoeira and BJJ demonstrated.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if bjj replaced judo, would it be pheasable for judoka to qualify for a place? the two arts are similar and they start standing so a judoka should still be able to implement their skills albeit under a less restrictive ruleset

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see why not, but remember that those judoka would have to beat some serious BJJers to qualify for the team. There might be a couple that can do so, but the level of newaza experience probably won't be good enough on average for very many to get in.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast