Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 12:04pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Fighting Tomahawk by Dwight McLemore

OK, Dwight McLemore, known for his books on Bowie Knife fighting and Tomahawk, is releasing a "Fighting Tomahawk" video through Paladin Press.

Looks to be really well done with lots of good material.

Here's the Youtube promotional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOeB2yMU_q8

Besides Dwight, you can see some of his other students such as Jeff Karako and Steve Huff.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 2:20pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. The man he is teaching to is Andy Keyworth of the Jinekan.

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 5:09pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I admit it. I own a tomahawk. This intrigues me. I may put the book and video on my Christmas list.

Any advice on getting a training tomahawk to go with the book and video?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a way to carry it around with you that doesn't make you look foolish?

To be honest, it seems like another version of "Street Sword," in that it's another outdated weapon people are trying to find excuses to carry with them on the street.

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who said anything about carrying it around with me?

I have one because I thought Last of the Mohicans was damn cool.
    YouTube - The Last of the Mohicans 1992 Trailer

It's stashed with the rest of my obsolete weapons collection. The last time I used it for anything was to clear some roots while landscaping my house -- and it worked pretty good for that purpose. I'm not out back LARPing as a Native American...

This whole sub-forum is filled with people with an interest in outdated weapons and weapons systems. I'd like to think most of them realize they ain't carrying the weapons around with them.

OTOH, you might get someone to reliably report that some soldier or Marine really does have a tomahawk slung from his combat vest. I wouldn't want the weight, but you sometimes hear about this.

BTW, remember. I live near Baltimore, where some college kid DID off a guy with a samurai sword. And my local newspaper's crime blotter last week described an incident in my neighborhood in which a deranged man was arrested after smashing windows out of parked cars with a hatchet that had a hammerhead. Which is a pretty good description of my tomahawk...

I understand what you're saying, Conde Koma, but I'm constantly amazed at how weird this world really is.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a WMA seminar where Dwight gave a presentation on the Bowie, years ago. Some time back in the 90's. He gave a good presentation. But I didn't know a quarter of what I know now back then. So, I can't really comment on the practicality. All I really remember is that, somehow, he had found out the Bowie's dad was a pretty good fencer and therefor Bowie's knife techniques were most likely influenced by that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Find a way to carry it around with you that doesn't make you look foolish?
    Foolish is as foolish does. Or something like that.

To be honest, it seems like another version of "Street Sword," in that it's another outdated weapon people are trying to find excuses to carry with them on the street.
    First, that's not what "Street Sword" talks about. I don't know if you're just assuming based on not having read the booklet, repeating what you read by someone else who didn't read the booklet, or just making crap up, but that's not what "Street Sword" is about (ridiculous cover photo not withstanding). The whole premise of "Street Sword" is that of "so you bought this groovy sword, now wouldn't it make sense to know the basics of using it?" That's what it is, the bare basics. Simple body mechanics, a smidge of legal advice, and a bunch of general common sense like "shorter swords are less likely to hit the walls if your swinging it in your apartment in self defense" or "sure Chicago may not let you have a GUN, but you got this nifty sword here...". It's NOT about walking around the streets of the city with a Katana sticking out of your waistband. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending it. I think it's TOO basic. I just can tell when I see informed critique and when I don't.

Second, you are, again, making uninformed guesswork about the content and intention of the material. Dwight McLemore isn't suggesting that Joe Wannabe slip a 'hawk into his belt nor is he recommending any sort of daily carry or anything else like that. In fact, several years ago now, he told me that the 'hawk, Bowie, etc. are all members of "The Dead Weapon" list and that adherents of each get irked at him for pointing out that said weapons have rather limited application in the modern context. The purpose of this video, and that of it's companion book (as well as that of the Bowie books) is to examine the weapon in a historic perspective. Yes, "realistic" fighting, but realistic FOR THE TIME PERIOD. Maybe you didn't notice the flint-lock pistol in the marketing vid? This video is roughly analogous in intention and design to that of video instruction on the Katana, Bo staff, and the like with the exception that this is Western Civ.

Hence posting it to the WMA forum. :P

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I went to a WMA seminar where Dwight gave a presentation on the Bowie, years ago. Some time back in the 90's. He gave a good presentation. But I didn't know a quarter of what I know now back then. So, I can't really comment on the practicality. All I really remember is that, somehow, he had found out the Bowie's dad was a pretty good fencer and therefor Bowie's knife techniques were most likely influenced by that.
    We're not sure how good a fencer he was but he was a military officer and, as such, would certainly have had some training in the Military Saber and possibly Dueling Saber as well. The speculation is that this could have potentially been passed on to his sons and thus influenced the use of the knife.

Dwight also sources some of his material from other forms of period fencing and particularly likes Navaja work and has a special affinity for the Spanish Circle method.

Nevertheless, it is all speculation and he readily admits it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Any advice on getting a training tomahawk to go with the book and video?
    Depends on what you want and how much effort or, alternately, dollars you want to put into it. I have a matched pair of high-impact plastic 'hawks I bought from Allen Reed, who resold them for a friend. Good stuff but they're still clubs even if blunt clubs.

http://www.woodlandarchery.com/Tomahawks.htm

I've also made some oak trainers. Much cheaper but there are some "gotchas" to doing it and I got bit in the butt learning them. And I have the tools and materials to make the trainers.

Note the extra long screw I ran into the butt end at the poll. This keeps the grain from breaking off at the head (one of those "gotchas").

Dwight and Steve get some really good plastic trainers from TAK, Inc.

But I'm too cheap to buy them when I've already got decent items.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Kirk.

I'll keep those ideas in mind. I'm not dumb enough to start randomly swinging around my live steel.

I'm with you about the mentality of, "Gee, I've got this thing hanging around. Maybe it would be a good idea to know how it's used." I think its a good idea to have at least some basic knowledge about the tomahawk since it's already in my house. Even if that knowledge is just for safer handling.

I do think Conde Koma's got a point, though. I was talking to a friend with occasional practice with a FMA training group. During one of his sessions, some of the advanced students showed off a tomahawk and started practicing with it. But they were disappointed that they couldn't figure out how to carry it concealed comfortably... As you said, "foolish is as foolish does."

(Why an FMA training group was so fascinated with a 'hawk, I don't know. But since they seem to like all things bladed...)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast