Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But they were still weak and slow arm punches that wouldn't warrant a referee stoppage even if they come pretty much unanswered.
    To be fair, would you really want to sit there and watch two extra minutes of that?

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 5:17pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    This. Those punches were really pathetic. Weak, slow arm punches with no real intention of finishing the fight. Maybe Nelson felt he had no cause to beat Kimbo to a pulp as he had in his own mind shown how desperate the position was for Kimbo or something. But they were still weak and slow arm punches that wouldn't warrant a referee stoppage even if they come pretty much unanswered.
    Those punches supposedly gave Kimbo an elephant man haematoma. Nelson certainly could've put more effort into them though.
    Last edited by MSphinx; 10/02/2009 5:24pm at . Reason: clarification

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 5:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: praying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Shut up. Herb Dean spared us 3 minutes of lay, pray, and swat. He was dominating the position and Slice couldn't escape, and he was hitting him.
    I agree he had a dominant position, but i wanted to see more leather fly, which is why I felt they shoulda stood it, so at least there would be more action, and not just some fat guy laying on top of someone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 5:42pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to admit it but I find Kimbo fascinating. He seems so humble and soft spoken and earnest but, at the same time, he he says things so goofy and stupid that you have to laugh out loud.

"the enemy,
    the ene - ME
    the inner me"

"I still don't have my eating resume yet."

And genetically, he's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen anybody with so much arm. I'd really like to see him learn to exploit his physical attributes. I'd like to see him
    at 205 after going to the future to train for years and coming back a la Bill and Ted.

Anyway, topic at hand: It would have been in Nelson's interest to put on a more exciting fight. At least finish with a submission; he just stopped trying to control Kimbo's arm after the failed americana. I'm not excited about seeing him fight again.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 3:55am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    This is bullshit. Roy was hitting with ***** shots near the end of the round. With only a few seconds to go why would he stop the fight. Kimbo wasn't in any real danger. In the second round it happened much earlier and although they were ***** shots it would've been 3 minutes plus so it Dean stepped in.

I hope Roy get's his face caved in when he fights some real heavyweights.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 6:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAWeekly
    MMAWeekly: Firstly, Roy claimed that you didn't stop the fight in the first round because of Kimbo's status on the show. How do you respond to that?

Dean: Well, it's not that complicated. I'm there to protect the fighter's safety. Kimbo got up after that round pretty quick and spry, right? If I stop a fight it's because I believe a fighter's not fighting back, because he can't. And there's reasons why a fighter can't fight back. One is a positional reason like Roy had on Kimbo. It was positional. Could (Kimbo) handle blows and continue to fight? He did. He made it to the end of the (first) round and continued to fight. If the blows were any less, I would have actually stood them up. The blows were strong enough to warrant being on the ground, but they weren't strong enough for me to stop the fight.

MMAWeekly: So you felt the blows that Kimbo was taking in the second round were, whereas the ones in the first round weren't?

Dean: Well, I believe that the blows were solid blows. In the first round, they were solid blows, just like in the second round, but in the second round, it was the beginning of the round that he was down there. I can't allow him - he was not going to improve his position, he was not going to solve it - I couldn't allow him five minutes of that in the second round. Could I allow him to take it for 30 seconds in the first? Sure.
    Last edited by Hesperus; 10/03/2009 6:49am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 6:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about since Roy and Kimbo were roommates, and given Roy's advantages skill and experience-wise, he didn't want to really hurt him?

Or, like Roy said, he didn't want to risk hurting his hands in the first of 3 fights.

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 6:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we all knew that they would make thing's favourable for kimbo,if he'd made it to the ultimate finale dana woulda been shouting "show me the money"!!!,regardless of any other talent on the show.while i have the utmost respect for any guy brave enough to step into a cage,guys like roy nelson dont mean money,tim sylvia won a title but was never a popular champion,when couture beat him white would have loved itand i cant see it ever being any different..

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 7:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see no real issues with this fight. Yeah, the punches were weak, but he was exploiting the rule set. That is why everyone keeps saying that MMA is a rule set not a martial art. We get used to seeing blood and people getting f-ed up. But that is just because the fighters are willing to thrown down to gain popularity and more fights.

The reality of it is, the rules state that you have to be intelligently defending yourself. Kimbo was laying there doing absolutely nothing. Roy was throwing petty arm punches with nothing behind him. But the rules don't say "inteligently defend yourself while under a barage of extremely harmful punches". So what's the big deal.

This is why Roy Nelson fought in Pensacola a few months ago, and no one showed up to see him. No one cares what he does. He is trying to get by doing the least amount as possible. But he is stilll getting by.

Do I care if Kimbo had consessions? Not really. The thing I'm more pissed about is the fact that kimbo has been trying to get into MMA for years now, and still doesn't know how to shrimp. That just shows that he doesn't care, so why are we still being spoon fed his bullshit like sheeple?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 7:59am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Why don't you just say Omega is right as usual?:deadhorse
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast