Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 12:22pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At what point will this whole Kimbo project be put to rest...it is obvious he is not an MMA fighter and at this stage of his career never will...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 12:32pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for Kimbo. At least he was smart enough to have lawyers negotiate for him. I will never understand, after that episode, why people hate him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 12:34pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottom-line is UFC and TUF exist to make money. If it helps their bottom-line aka Money, they will do it. If well-being, pay balance, and fair treatment of UFC fighters helps their bottom-line, they will do it. Kimbo will help their bottom-line so they will do it.

It's just like in real world. Most of us are average Joe (middle-class folks) and average Joe does not get special treatment. Actually average Joe bears more of the brunt and suffers more broadly.

On the otherhand, if you are on the above the average Joe, you will get special treatment. Just like real world.

It should not be surprise that it's how it is in the show and in case of Kimbo.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 12:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nelson should stop whining. He won the fight. Over. All of Kimbo's concessions did not help him, did they? Nelson made his point in the cage. Because he fought kimbo and Spike advertised the fight prior (which they don't usually do), more people saw him fight than ever before. That was probably the biggest audience Nelson has ever fought for. I am sure the ratings were massive for that episode. That was Nelson's best opportunity to be seen in his entire career.

Does anybody actually expect ethics and fairness from Reality TV? No. TUF is about one thing, and is not about fighting first. It is about $$$, ratings, drama, etc. People are chosen for that show based on how good they are for TV, not how good they fight. I know people who were told at prior TUF tryouts that people are going to be chosen based on TV presence, etc, not primarily fighting ability. Guys who kicked ass at tryouts were not chosen because they did not fit the reality TV formula.

I Personally don't bother myself with what goes on behind the scenes with the fighters, in the house, drama. Just show me the fights.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 12:56pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only problem with this is that it's taking the sport in a shitty direction - duh Kimbo gets special treatment; he's a draw. But the facts are simple: The dude has shown no improvement, his touted boxing skills are a load of **** and Nelson proved he's a better fighter...he was going to decision Kimbo regardless. If people want all boxing, GO WATCH BOXING.

It's like we're going back ten years to where ground fighting was always seen as boring and stood up quickly. Kimbo wasn't defending himself - he may as well have been in a submission. There was no getting up from there and only injury coming - if I recall correctly, Matt Hughes did the same thing to Penn in their second fight...he hit BJ seemingly harder, but no one criticized him for it.

Kimbo may draw more money, but at what cost to the sport?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 1:06pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well given kimbos fight history, he did exactly what i thought he would do and lose. Now kimbo is a big strong guy, but hes fighting people with xp, not some dude down the block. The reason why i watched is to see kimbo lose, now it seems like dana white is like joe simpson with ashley's career, push it forward regardless of the talent involved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 1:43pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sucks for the other guys, but that's fight promoting. Money matters.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 1:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    I think Herb was more afraid to stop the fight because Roy's punches were pitty-pat bullshit. Even though Kimbo was doing nothing, he's not being hurt either. With the round coming to an end, better to give him the benefit of the doubt and let them sort it out the next round.
    This. Those punches were really pathetic. Weak, slow arm punches with no real intention of finishing the fight. Maybe Nelson felt he had no cause to beat Kimbo to a pulp as he had in his own mind shown how desperate the position was for Kimbo or something. But they were still weak and slow arm punches that wouldn't warrant a referee stoppage even if they come pretty much unanswered.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could tell there was favoritism when the big ad on the bus I walk past every day had Kimbo bigger than either coach.

I guess they could have put Nelson on the ad, but buses don't come that big around here.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717 View Post
    Kimbo may draw more money, but at what cost to the sport?
    THIS.

Everyone keeps saying yeah, sure, whatever, show me the fights. But by watching the show and supporting this bullcrap, we're pushing UFC in that direction. Execs are in meetings saying, "Hey, let's keep getting crappy fighters, they improve ratings!" Rather than excusing them because they wanna make money, how about we actually demand to see good fighters and good fights? They keep talking about doing stuff for the fans, let's make sure those fans aren't of the meathead variety, yeah?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast