Style
    boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

options after shoulder surgery

Hey just wanted to get some opinions. After dislocating my shoulder for the 4th time from various things, I'm going into surgery. 6 weeks in a sling and 6 month recovery before i can return to boxing is what the Dr. has said.

I know this might seem dumb but is kickboxing a possible alternative during recovery? Focusing on kicks and light punches?

I just cant stand the thought of losing both my passions of lifting and boxing for 6 months

thanks

Style
    Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of surgery? Is the 6 months for any boxing, or just the sparring part of boxing? Is the MD worried about you being hit, or you hitting things? Just range of motion/stress on the joint issues? I mean, if the doctor says no bagwork or even shadow boxing for 6 months, I think that you'll be pretty limited.

That said, I find most doctors to be ultra conservative when it comes to sports/lifting/martial arts. If you're just getting the shoulder scoped, I think 7.5 months is probably a bit lengthy. However, I am NOT a doctor.

Style
    boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep I'm getting an Arthroscopic procedure done

Those are definitely questions I'll be asking physical therapist about for sure, and I was thinking the same thing, hopefully the Dr. was just giving me the worst case recovery time to cover himself.

Style
    Limalama
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, speaking from experience (I believe I had the exact same surgery your going through) I think kickboxing before recovery time is a bad idea. Mainly because striking at all has the chance of breaking that thread they use to tie your tendons together rendering both your shoulder and your 10,000 dollar surgery useless....well your shoulder won't be useless, but it will be just as bad if not worse as before you got your surgery.

The good news is that once I healed up I continued my martial arts with little hinderance barring a slightly weaker right arm due to atrophy, and likely so will you.

Style
    Yoshukai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Shoulder surgery" is a little vague. I had an acromioplasty and labrum repair last year, was back in training in about 8 weeks. Naturally, there was some residual soreness and weakness. A close friend had a rotator cuff repair at about the same time and he is just now getting comfortable with punching and using full range of motion.

There is a pretty good thread on this down in the Phyical Training forum from about a year ago; it might be worth a look.

(Pardon the spelling; not much good at those med terms).