Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go with Ruger. They have the best customer service if you ever need a repair done on your gun.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I'd go with Ruger. They have the best customer service if you ever need a repair done on your gun.
    Only thing that concerns me there is the size. I've heard that the right concealment rig can make a tremendous difference - but I don't really have the weapons budget to buy a "summer piece" and a "winter piece." I need something I can conceal with nothing more than a T-shirt, or at least a polo + undershirt for the summer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 2:59am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin497 View Post
    Only thing that concerns me there is the size. I've heard that the right concealment rig can make a tremendous difference - but I don't really have the weapons budget to buy a "summer piece" and a "winter piece." I need something I can conceal with nothing more than a T-shirt, or at least a polo + undershirt for the summer.
    Then go for a Glock in the compact version...a 19c or such.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 7:10am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin497 View Post
    I wear my PPS with a t-shirt and shorts in the summer. The only change I had to make was wearing a belt and making sure my shorts had belt loops. The thing is invisible when worn and 8 shots of 9mm or 7 shots of 40.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 8:28am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CZ makes gold-medal weapons at silver medal prices. Try the CZ 2075 as well. Simply fantastic weapons. My father-in-law owns several, and theya re some of the best 9mm pistols I've ever fired.

Don't knock .380, either. There are some new bullets out there that are starting to bridge the stopping-power gap between 380 and 9mm.

And for the record....380 IS 9mm. THey called it "9mm Kurz" up until the 80's.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    And for the record....380 IS 9mm. THey called it "9mm Kurz" up until the 80's.
    This is why "9mm" should always be followed by an identifier, in a firearms context. It is true that .380ACP and 9mm Parabellum both have a .355" diameter, but the case length makes a significant difference in their ballistics (.380ACP is 17mm long, while 9mm Parabellum is 19mm long). A similar relationship exists between .45ACP and .460 Rowland.

I know this isn't news to anyone posting in this thread, but I've become a damn vigilante regarding miscommunication.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 2:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    I wear my PPS with a t-shirt and shorts in the summer. The only change I had to make was wearing a belt and making sure my shorts had belt loops. The thing is invisible when worn and 8 shots of 9mm or 7 shots of 40.
    The Walther PPS has made its way onto the short list.

Right now, it's down to (in 9mm Parabellum - you're welcome)

Walther PPS
    XD9 SubCompact
    Glock 26

Now, I just gotta hope a vendor's got one at this show this weekend.

Thanks for all the impressions, and for helping to steer me in directions I may not have considered.

The SR9 still intrigues me, but it's just too damned big for a guy like me to conceal.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As usual, I've gone to Bud's Gun Shop for price references. Any products in this list which don't have a price are listed as such because Bud's is complying with a minimum advertised price policy. See the product pages for information on how to learn Bud's price for such items.

Walther PPS $580
    Springfield XD Subcompact $435 (also available with a high capacity magazine for $462)
    GLOCK 26 (also available with night sights)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff. Thanks for doing the legwork on that.

Here's something that may come as a bit of a shocker.

I don't plan on buying this weapon new. I'm going to a gun show, and plan on finding one there for cheaper. From what I've read of the PPS's breaking-in period and mag release, I'm hoping someone will have gotten frustrated with it and traded in a perfectly fine weapon.

I'm familiar enough with fieldstripping and cleaning procedures, but I'm no gunsmith or armorer. When I go to this gun show, what should I be on the lookout for when purchasing a used firearm? I plan on having the guy at the booth take it down for me so I can inspect the rails, etc...but is there anything specifically I should keep an eye out for when buying used?

Thanks.

ETA: Was checking that website out and found this.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/18154
    Last edited by ronin497; 10/07/2009 11:21pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123