Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 171819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an honest question, because I don't know--yes, Nelson is big, but does Team Rampage have anyone coaching or fighting who could show Kimbo what it feels like to be underneath a BJJ black belt? A legit black belt will make you forget that you know how to do anything the first few times. I realize Kimbo trained with Bas Rutten, but I don't know much more than that about what he's done.
    Rampage seemed more concerned with finding someone who equaled Nelson's girth then abilities.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was my impression. But I didn't know whether he had any other option. I guess he could have called someone from outside, if he knows someone. Your first fight in an octagon under UFC rules is not the time to find out what that's like.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Army Combatives, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After seeing Kimbo on the show I have to say that I like him as a person...seems humble and willing to learn. Having said that, he just showed what everyone has always known about him. As soon as Nelson took him down he went flat and submissive like a 16 year old girl after the prom.

If he actually gets into the UFC (he won't win TUF so it will have to be another way) Dana will be screwing not only the fans but Kimbo himself. The way he is now, and the way he will likely be even after a year of hardcore BJJ/wrestling training, someone like Mir will take him to the mat and seriously injure him.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    That was my impression. But I didn't know whether he had any other option. I guess he could have called someone from outside, if he knows someone. Your first fight in an octagon under UFC rules is not the time to find out what that's like.
    Rampage also called off the asst. trainer, who was trying to drill Kimbo in escapes, and pretty much said (paraphrase) "he isn't going to learn anything new at this point" and directed at Kimbo "just go and do what you know"

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Rampage's submission coach for this season is Hector "SICK DAWG" Ramirez, a man who got outgrappled by James Irvin.

That should pretty much tell you all you need to know.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zak Jensen said he was drilling mount escapes with Kimbo and Kimbo couldn't escape even when he just sat in mount doing nothing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zak Jensen said he was drilling mount escapes with Kimbo and Kimbo couldn't escape even when he just sat in mount doing nothing.
    Jensen was a pretty heavy guy, and probably the most similar fighter to Nelson in terms of shape. His background, however, is in Toughman boxing and he once got gogoplataed by Brad Imes. I guess that gives us a better perspective of Kimbo's grappling prowess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong View Post
    He went into the house with a gameplan to win the show, not to win the fans (yet). I'll admit, I'm a huge fan of Roy (he's like family after all), but I was hoping for a more exciting submission finish as well. However, I don't fault him one bit for playing it safe and not risking his career for what little they pay him to fight in the house. Get to the finals, put on a good show for an actual payday. Makes good business sense, but its not what Dana wants for the show.
    I'm impressed at how Big Country executed his gameplan to a tee; it was smart and safe.

I'm also impressed that he's covering his bases by gaming the system. Even if he were to lose his next fight un-impressively, he'd still get a fight based on his persona, his demands for cheeseburgers, his being uncoachable, etc.

Basically, he's won a single fight in a less than spectacular fashion, and he's already pretty much guaranteed a fight in the finale. Not bad.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Every single semi-knowledgeable fighter and fan I know is aware Kimbo needs to go get some ground training. It's been common knowledge for a long time. Didn't Bas work ground defense with him? Hasn't anyone? Why hasn't he improved on the ground at all?

Admittedly he was WAY outmatched by Nelson, but it looked like he just layed there once Nelson got him down. Not even the most basic white belt level attempts at defense.
    By some accounts Kimbo had little idea what a sprawl was so it really looks like Bas did not do Kimbo any favors in the training department.

As for how he looked on the ground, he looked not a whole lot worse than AA did when Nelson was on top of him. Also, Kimbo did come very close to a pretty good reversal at one point; Nelson is just a very good grappler and stuffed it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By some accounts Kimbo had little idea what a sprawl was so it really looks like Bas did not do Kimbo any favors in the training department.
    In some places I heard Kimbo mostly just worked out with Bas' boxing coach.