Gripping 20% Harder
    good boy :sex:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 7:00pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You ever wonder why Don has about 2000 rep points and you have, like some negative ranking?
    Rankings? HAHA. Whatever, this is a forum not a popularity contest.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    Then they should go and watch street fighting instead of sport fighting. I enjoy all aspects of the sport whether it's winning through physical prowess or clever technical strategy. Neither is more valid than the other.
    no, MMA is a more valid form of fighting than in the street.
    Last edited by danno; 10/03/2009 8:14pm at .

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    I literally sat here and laughed out loud at some of this stuff. My favorite is the "If Roy hadn't taken him down, held him in a crucifix and hit him with unanswered tippy-tap punches at will . . . . twice . . . then Kimbo could have won" gambit.

Well, no ****. If Roy Nelson hadn't done any of the things that he did to dominate that fight, he wouldn't have dominated it. Alternatively, if Kimbo had swept Nelson and busted out a Kimura out of nowhere, he would have stood a really good chance.
    Similarly, if the Bears had not scored 19 points last week, or even if the Seahawks had scored more than 19, that game would have turned out very differently, let me tell you, comrades!

Unfortunately, I am a prisoner of my midwestern bourgeois upbringing, which emphasizes a reliance on objective reality rather than a more nuanced view of what might have happened in an alternate universe in which your prejudices represent facts. Thus I feel compelled to point out that what actually happened is what matters.

What actually happened is that Dana White and company threw Kimbo to the wolves and counted on fighters like Nelson either to carry him enough to make him look good or to dominate him brutally enough to fuel a revenge storyline. Nelson decided against brutality because he has to win three times in a very short period to win the show and the contract--and he has watched previous seasons and competed in tournaments before, so he realizes that an injury that would be a minor byproduct of a major pay-per-view fight represents the end of a tournament. He's seen previous TUF contestants removed from the running and unceremoniously put on the bus back to Podunk because they had injuries as minor as bad cuts on their foreheads, or broken noses.

For Dana White to call Roy Nelson a coward because he minimized the risk of a broken nose or a bad cut makes no sense, except from Dana's point of view. From Dana's point of view, the whole point of any fight with Kimbo in it is to be dramatic, make Kimbo look good (even if he loses, you should make him look game and exciting) and advance the narrative the UFC wants to build around him. From Dana's point of view, that fight was frustrating. And from his point of view, it should be, because Dana figures he's got all the "students of the game" like most of Bullshido, and now he wants to pull in more people like Jason123--people who don't understand MMA and don't want to, they just want to see a ripped guy who looks like a gangster beat some blood out of a chubby guy who looks like he works on an assembly line in a doughnut factory.

But from Nelson's point of view, **** all that. Win the show and then figure it out from there. Don't get sent home because you let Dana or some other promoter talk you into a bad game plan unless you're happy being the foil they use to set up their guy--and then discard when you're not useful anymore.

Here's an honest question, because I don't know--yes, Nelson is big, but does Team Rampage have anyone coaching or fighting who could show Kimbo what it feels like to be underneath a BJJ black belt? A legit black belt will make you forget that you know how to do anything the first few times. I realize Kimbo trained with Bas Rutten, but I don't know much more than that about what he's done.
    Anything I would write after this post would be redundant.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 5:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    And MMA is both fighting and a sport with rules.
    Don't say that **** around Sang or fug, they will flip a bitch.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    You're right, I can't read Nelson's mind. But neither can Dana White, and the difference between our two statements is that mine posits that Nelson probably did what is in Nelson's best interest, while Dana posits that Nelson did what is not in his best interest.
    Mind reading is no longer necessary, now that Roy has stated as much in interviews and recent blogs. He went into the house with a gameplan to win the show, not to win the fans (yet). I'll admit, I'm a huge fan of Roy (he's like family after all), but I was hoping for a more exciting submission finish as well. However, I don't fault him one bit for playing it safe and not risking his career for what little they pay him to fight in the house. Get to the finals, put on a good show for an actual payday. Makes good business sense, but its not what Dana wants for the show.

Big Country's on a mission, and I'll be rooting for him all the way.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to see a submission, too. I think most people would. But we do have to realize that although this is an entertaining sport, it's not "sports entertainment." Down that road lies pro wrestling. If you won't accept that an athlete has the right (maybe the duty?) to choose the winning strategy over the entertaining strategy when there's a conflict between the two, then you're telling them that they're not athletes, they're entertainers with all that entails. There is then no real reason for them not to arrange the winners and maybe the techniques beforehand so as to maximize the entertainment value.

I think people forget that when pro wrestling made the transition to all works, all the time, almost everyone in it was a legitimate wrestler and most knew a lot of submission work. It isn't the skills of the fighters that keep it legitimate, it's the attitude that what they're doing is absolutely an athletic competition before it's a show.

(And again, from Dana White's point of view, I realize that's backwards. He's a promoter and he has to think that way, but the fighters don't.)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 2:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^agreed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 9:47am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason123 View Post
    Rankings? HAHA. Whatever, this is a forum not a popularity contest.
    I must admit that one doesn't exactly warm to Roy Nelson and as Kimbo has so far come across as a likeable dude I was rooting for him. That said it was a fairly comfortable win for Nelson and i'm sure the result would be the same if they fought again. If however Kimbo went away for a year and trained BJJ and takedown defense he could keep the fight standing longer and then he would have a punchers chance.

BTW Jason, there is no problem having an opinion but it's the way you put your opinion across on here that ensures you get flamed.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:06am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every single semi-knowledgeable fighter and fan I know is aware Kimbo needs to go get some ground training. It's been common knowledge for a long time. Didn't Bas work ground defense with him? Hasn't anyone? Why hasn't he improved on the ground at all?

Admittedly he was WAY outmatched by Nelson, but it looked like he just layed there once Nelson got him down. Not even the most basic white belt level attempts at defense.

To me that is out of sync with what they show of Kimbo. I am surprised to find that I like him since the show started. I like his work ethic, and he seems bright and funny. But he seems to have a blind spot that nobody else around him has...