Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure this is the Lockheed Martin guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of like Joe Rogan`s idiotic commentary

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for sure. I mean, I get really annoyed with Joe Rogan's bullshit, and the fact that he gives the Bravo name for every fucking position that goes down during a UFC match.To a certain degree, it's nice to see somebody saying something contrary, and dishing out a little balance.

But my point still stands, who the **** is he to criticize a legitimate BJJ black belt? Again, it sounded more like something he heard his instructor say, chewed and replated. It's one thing if I'm talking trash in my own living room, yelling at the TV, saying rubber guard blows. It's wholly another to do it while announcing the biggest no-gi grappling event of the year, while simultaneously being a nobody who doesn't compete in said events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love EB, the rubber guard, and 10th P. Against guys my same size and skill level I can pull off most of the rubber guard attacks.

At ADCC you have the best of the best, most people are using the most fundamental techniques possible. Not everyone is a smooth with the turtle as telles. If drysdale tried that the outcome would probably be the same.

I just get annoyed when people attack Eddie based on some youtube clips and the craziest outtakes they can find of him. Having trained with him quite a few times now, he is actually pretty mainstream. (Posture is most important, positioning positioning positioning, not everything will work all the time, nothing works all the time). And even though he gets all sorts of maniacs coming randomly into his classes, he has remembered me and tried to remember my name. I have gone to schools where they don't even bother to learn your name and you're paying them.

My guess is that this Kelly guy just got caught with some rubber guard stuff and was looking for a reason to trash it.

My closed guard sucks and it really hurts my knees. Different strokes, different folks.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 9:54pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie commented on this on tapout radio last night.

http://www.tapoutlive.com/media/7702...:_Eddie_Bravo/

Regardless of whatever your opinion is about rubber guard or any of the system, that commentator was classless, and did an utterly wretched job on top of that.

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 1:00am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaii View Post
    Eddie commented on this on tapout radio last night.

http://www.tapoutlive.com/media/7702...:_Eddie_Bravo/

Regardless of whatever your opinion is about rubber guard or any of the system, that commentator was classless, and did an utterly wretched job on top of that.
    My apologies for being lazy, but I'd rather not listen to the whole show. Can you paraphrase what he said about it?

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 8:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's true. The commentating was bad, it was out of place for him to say that during a televised/DVDable event, AND the burger dinner menu choice thing was fucking retarded.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 9:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    My apologies for being lazy, but I'd rather not listen to the whole show. Can you paraphrase what he said about it?
    (tl;dl) for Bravo:
    - commentators haven't rolled with any good rubber guard players
    - lots of BJJ black belts oppose rubber guard because of Eddie's nogi training for MMA stance
    - BJJ champs have trouble in MMA because they're reliant on collar and sleeve grips
    - saying rubber guard doesn't work is like saying Judo throws/wrestling takedowns don't work because they don't work 100% of the time in competition
    - look at traditional closed guard and see the rate of success regarding sweeps/subs
    - some professional MMA fighters are incorporating rubber guard, does that mean they don't know what they're doing?
    - keep an open mind when it comes to expanding your arsenal, try rubber guard, x-guard, etc.
    - never said rubber guard is a silver bullet
    - doesn't want BJJ bbs to keep losing decisions on their back
    - the commentary was garbage, they kept getting things wrong at ADCC
    - hopes commentators will "see the light" on expanding guard options in time
    - asked publicly for Royler rematch, and hopes he will say yes
    ================================================== ========
    (tl/dr): idiot commentators, rubber is an option, not a guaranteed win

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 10:43am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His rebuttle actually kinda pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo, via summary
    :
    - commentators haven't rolled with any good rubber guard players
    He doesn't know that.

- lots of BJJ black belts oppose rubber guard because of Eddie's nogi training for MMA stance
    As best I know, lots of BJJ BB have a problem with Eddie's guard stuff because he hasn't really put it to the test, save his one big win. To say that he's one of the few BJJ BB who trains with MMA in mind is a gross exaggeration.

- BJJ champs have trouble in MMA because they're reliant on collar and sleeve grips
    Yes, but so do No-Gi champs, like Marcelo and Jacare... so, what the **** does that have to do with anything? Also, here are some badass black belts who have been trained in Gi who have submission wins: Big Nog, R. Palhares, G. Gonzaga, F. Werdum, R. Almeida, D. Maia, N. Marquardt.

All of these people have pulled subs off their back, sans rubber guard, and are prominent in MMA.

- saying rubber guard doesn't work is like saying Judo throws/wrestling takedowns don't work because they don't work 100% of the time in competition
    Agreed. Or, more to the point with rubber guard, like saying that someone doing a shitty double leg = double legs suck.

- look at traditional closed guard and see the rate of success regarding sweeps/subs
    I would say that a fair number of submissions come from closed guard, and I don't even like closed guard.

- doesn't want BJJ bbs to keep losing decisions on their back
    I would say a great number of decision losses occur because the bottom man pulls a lock down and just stays there. I'm not aware of this great rash of BJJ BB losses though, it just seems like more and more people are getting better on the ground.

- asked publicly for Royler rematch, and hopes he will say yes
    How bout a rematch with Leo Vieira? :5ziplip:

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 10:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can say you don't like Bravo's marketing.

You can say that you don't like playing rubber guard and/or it isn't as high percentage as he makes out.

But to say it doesn't work because you don't like his marketing is idiotic to the point of drooling retardation.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast