--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob to Bullshido and the martial arts

Hey! Thank you for such a forum. I am looking at entering a martial arts dojo for the great physical benefits as well as the self defense aspects. I have never trained in any form whatsoever. I have done some research and do like jujitsu but do not want to train in BJJ. It seems more MMA related but I am probably wrong. I have an American Jujitsu Center nearby and BushidoFloridaDojo with FrankPayne as the Sensei. Any inputs?

Style
    Ex-Tomiki Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgoderich View Post
    Hey! Thank you for such a forum. I am looking at entering a martial arts dojo for the great physical benefits as well as the self defense aspects. I have never trained in any form whatsoever. I have done some research and do like jujitsu but do not want to train in BJJ. It seems more MMA related but I am probably wrong. I have an American Jujitsu Center nearby and BushidoFloridaDojo with FrankPayne as the Sensei. Any inputs?
    Welcome!

I'd recommend going through some threads here, and getting familiar with the concept of "alive" training. The arts that incorporate this concept typically pass the BS litmus test.

If your jujitsu class consists of mostly kata, compliant partner drills, unrealistic scenarios, and overly complicated responses coupled with a focus on spirituality, and it's over priced, well...

Read, lurk some threads, get familiar with the concept of "alive" training, and observe this American Jujitsu Center to decide for yourself. If you're unsure, come back here and post what their class is like with regards to what they teach and how they teach it. There's a wealth of solid information to be found in the posters here, and they'll let you know if you're becoming involved with something that'll just end up wasting your time.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin497 View Post
    Welcome!

I'd recommend going through some threads here, and getting familiar with the concept of "alive" training. The arts that incorporate this concept typically pass the BS litmus test.

If your jujitsu class consists of mostly kata, compliant partner drills, unrealistic scenarios, and overly complicated responses coupled with a focus on spirituality, and it's over priced, well...

Read, lurk some threads, get familiar with the concept of "alive" training, and observe this American Jujitsu Center to decide for yourself. If you're unsure, come back here and post what their class is like with regards to what they teach and how they teach it. There's a wealth of solid information to be found in the posters here, and they'll let you know if you're becoming involved with something that'll just end up wasting your time.
    What he said! & welcome to Bullshido.

here is a link to the school you mentioned: http://bushidofloridadojo.net/index.html

Style
    Internet Warrior, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think the MMA guys use BJJ over "traditional" jujitsu because the techniques in BJJ work better, or because the techniques in traditional jujitsu are too deadly and against mma rules?

Spoiler:
    it's the first one!

Style
    Hapkido, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there is a BJJ school in your area, I'd recommend you go in and try a few classes. Usually they will let you for free, or at most a nominal charge.

It is used in MMA, but only as one part.

You might find the kind of training you get in a BJJ is just way more fun than the dead, static drills you get in a traditional dojo.

YMMV

Also, someone mentioned "aliveness" above. I strongly recommend you view these videos before choosing a martial art. At least look at the first one, it is only 10 minutes.

Matt Thornton: Words of Wisdom. A.K.A How to Train Martial Arts - No BS MMA and Martial Arts