Thanks for the info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 2:43pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex

I've just realise and yes, to the best of my knowledge, low kicks were allowed.

Let's not get carried away with the sports martial arts, massively important as they are, it is worth remembering that in the modern world they represent a compromise. With no rules at all one exponent would need medical care the other (or indeed both) a wooden box. Anything short of this is not real and cannot be taken as truely empiric evidence however useful.

The UFC, Cage Rage and K-1 are essential arenas for testing martial artists but, in my opinion, not martial arts. I would suggest that the skills of fighting an uncompliant opponent and the sheer test of mettle of these contest are the only important factors. The actual techniques most useful to self defence are usually those that have been banned (attacks to the eyes, ears, throat and groin as well as breaking the neck as opposed to attempting a choke). Also spending 6 mins on the ground attempting to submit someone is beyond stupid in a public place (Gracie vs Kimo) having said that I don't doubt either man's ability to fight. I would just humbly suggest they would fight dirtier if they felt they would be killed if they didn't.

Contentiously (as ever)

Grey Owl

Registered Member

Bracknell. Royal County of Berkshire. UK.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 6:58pm

Style: Traditional Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grey Owl

Grey Owl stated to Hellis.
    I am sorry if I mislead you Mr Mayo began teaching in the late 40s (interesting that this predates Mr Abbe's) and treated Mr Abbe following his arrival in the 50s.

My statement that Abbe Sensei studied Kyu-Shin-Do in the Japanese Army is 1941 is from a conversation I had with him during a car journey. I do not know when he first began his study of same. I did not say this was the start of his study of Budo. In 1933 He was 18 yrs of age and the youngest ever 5th dan for Judo and the youngest ever All Japan Judo Champion.
    I do appreciate you feel the need to establish some kind of lineage.

Grey Owl.
    The fact that Kyu Shin Do students haven't heard of him is kind of irrelevant .

I disagree, the fact that no one remembers him is totally relevant. In total honesty, I had never ever heard of Mr Mayo. I took part in all the great events at The Royal Albert Hall and Crystal Palace in the early days with no sight of a Mr Mayo. I have spoken with several Judoka who were with Abbe Sensei from 1955, non have any knowledge of a Mr Mayo in those early days.

Grey Owl
    association between messers Abbe and Mayo is well documented in years of correspondences between the two. As I have already said a collaborative work by the two men also exists. I have also seen photographs of Mr Abbe and Mr Mayo demonstrating techniques not used by the BJC.

I will look forward to seeing such important material. If this kind of historical evidence exists ? Why does this material not take pride of place on the MSD website ?

Grey Owl.
    My serious concern is that there seems to have been a deliberate attempt to write Mr Mayo out. In the past a rift has been alluded to between Mr Mayo and Mr Abbe's successor, following his return to Japan, that may be the source of this ill feeling.

I have never ever heard of Mr Mayo in association with Abbe Sensei or of the rift you suggest with the Otani family. My friendship with Robin Otani Sensei would not influence my attempts to add the name of Mr Mayo or any other person that should be included on the Kenshiro Abbe website.

Grey Owl.
    My serious concern is that there seems to have been a deliberate attempt to write Mr Mayo out. In the past a rift has been alluded to between Mr Mayo and Mr Abbe's successor, following his return to Japan, that may be the source of this ill feeling.

You state that there seems to be a deliberate attempt to to write Mr Mayo out of the history. I have written many articles, one cannot write what is not there.

Grey Owl.
    As for the language barrier, Mr Mayo spoke more than just English.

Abbe Sensei only spoke Japanese and a limited English. Did Mr Mayo speak fluent Japanese?

Grey Owl.

I am only after the truth and, having personally seen the evidence of Mr Mayo and Mr Abbe in collaboration, I am convinced. I am pressing for the information to made available via the Mayo Shin Do website as the evidence should interest a great many people.

We too are only interested in the truth. I look forward to seeing the evidence you claim.
    Gerry Gyngell Sensei who was with Abbe Sensie form 1955. he also worked in Abbe Sensie's office. He was a member of Abbe Sensei's Olympic team 1964. 3 times the Welsh BJC Judo champion. Sensei Gyngell respectfully wrote several months ago to your instructor Mr Collins asking for proof of the Mr Mayo claims. He is still waiting.

Grey Owl.
    It is interesting that the BJC is a sport orientated organisation as BOTH Mr Abbe and Mr Mayo were moving away from this practice.

Abbe Sensei never attempted to move away from the sport / competition of Judo. All the great events at the Royal Albert Hall and Crystal Palace were BJC championships. He was dissapointed when at the London Judo Society ( LJS ) that competition was considered more important than the deeper study of the art. After leaving the LJS he had a free hand to teach ` his way`.

Grey Owl.
    The sport of Judo is now for the making of champions. This is the wrong way. Contests are only necessary at times so that progress can be seen." Kenshiro Abbe

Judo by its very nature is competitive, when two people take hold of each other as in Judo it is difficult not to be competitive except in randori.

Hellis

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl

The UFC, Cage Rage and K-1 are essential arenas for testing martial artists but, in my opinion, not martial arts.
    how the **** do you come to the conclusion that they test martial artists but not martial arts. because you cant grab someones nuts?

I would suggest that the skills of fighting an uncompliant opponent and the sheer test of mettle of these contest are the only important factors.
    important factors of what?
    The actual techniques most useful to self defence are usually those that have been banned (attacks to the eyes, ears, throat and groin as well as breaking the neck as opposed to attempting a choke).
    oh here it comes, the "too deadly for the ring" fucking bullshit that gets carted out time and time again. newsflash. if an art is built around kicking someone in the nuts and poking eyes it SUCKS BALLS. these should NOT be the main points of ANY self defense program because they are low percentage moves. the basics of any art should be kept simple- straight punch, hook, front kick, takedown, sprawl etc. moves that can be easily carried out when fine motor skill goes out the window.
    Also spending 6 mins on the ground attempting to submit someone is beyond stupid in a public place (Gracie vs Kimo) having said that I don't doubt either man's ability to fight. I would just humbly suggest they would fight dirtier if they felt they would be killed if they didn't.
    irrelevant.

and once again you still havent said why you don't consider arts like boxing etc martial arts. because they dont practice eye gouges? that to you is what makes the difference between a combat sport and a martial art, that martial artists are the sad dorks in wing chun vests doing eye gouge katas and ****? fair enough.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA is the ultimate test of a fighting system and of a fighter, there's no doubt about that, it's as real as it can be and a reality check for what does and does not work. However, it is not the best test for budo, budo is about the development of self and the fight a budoka should be engaged with, is the one with his/her ego - the striving to become a better person and to contribute positively to society. The "Do" arts are about personal education not about fighting.

The "Do" arts should be positive influences in communities and individuals, turning people's lives around and offering focus to the unfocussed, a meaning and a feeling of self worth through discipline and training. MMA of course can partly offer this too.

Both MMA and the traitional ways have much to offer. But if you want to learn hw to fight MMA will always be the best option, if you want a lifelong activity that will become a lifetimes work then a "Do" art will be a more useful discipline.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Hellis

I do not feel the need to establish a lineage it is already there.

Actually there are a number of Kyu Shin Do students who have heard of Mr Mayo but as they were no longer practicing what he taught he withdrew his support (another reason to forget him?).

The website designer does not have access to the material. Simple. If it helps I have sent an e-mail this very evening humbly suggesting that Mr Collins rectifies this.

"one cannot write what is not there."

NO one cannot write what one does not know. Not knowing it does not mean it is not there!!!

Mr Abbe only spoke Japanese. You yourself said he spoke some English and if not how do know what he was saying at all.

"Judo by its very nature is competitive, when two people take hold of each other as in Judo it is difficult not to be competitive except in randori."

Contradicits Mr Abbe surely?

Until the evidence is put on the Mayo Shin Do website I will only be repeating myself this I am very tired of now. I suspect that when it is people with an invested interest will either ignore it or try to counter it regardless the result will be an embrassing mess.

May the truth will out. That is all that matters, one way or another but I suspect this will rage for some time.

A somewhat jaded

Grey Owl

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 7:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how the **** do you come to the conclusion that they test martial artists but not martial arts. because you cant grab someones nuts?

**** yeah!!!

important factors of what?

Duh! Fighting

"h here it comes, the "too deadly for the ring" fucking bullshit that gets carted out time and time again. newsflash. if an art is built around kicking someone in the nuts and poking eyes it SUCKS BALLS. these should NOT be the main points of ANY self defense program because they are low percentage moves. the basics of any art should be kept simple- straight punch, hook, front kick, takedown, sprawl etc. moves that can be easily carried out when fine motor skill goes out the window."

Are you seriously suggesting that it is difficult to kick someone in the groin or rip their throat out. If you can kick or punch or control an attacker on the ground with any skill surely this is easy!

Irrelavant! HA HA HA HA HA! You have never had your life on the line have you! Be honest really!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel I have said all I need to on this thread. I may return from time to time but there is really little point.

As to the Kyu Shin Do/Mayo Shin Do point I leave that in the hands of my seniors and hope they pull their collective fingers out.

Alex, sorry man, we just disagree on some things. We NEED MMA I totally agree with this I just think that we need the eye gouging **** (I paraphrase you here) too note not instead but as well.

No I don't consider Judo, boxing etc to be martial arts but then neither do most practitioners of these sports.

If we were all being honest the only real martial art left is the big red button in the White House.

Many thanks to all

Grey Owl

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 8:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh well another thread bites the dust lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thread's gone but I'll be around on this site. I've just had my fill of politics and "your style sucks!", at least for now, I just want to talk bullshido for a while, maybe learn something.

Many thanks

Grey Owl
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast