Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last
    Here's looking at you, squid. Join us... or die
    Style
    Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GO, sorry, our posts seem to have crossed. I have thick skin, buddy, so I'm not worried about rudeness in the course of...discourse. Just for fun, I doubt the OED recognizes "agrument" as a word. You're quite correct about speciality - the 'ity' threw me off and it is my mistake. I never claimed to be perfect. Not starting a sentence with a conjunction was rather an arbitrary rule that isn't widely accepted among writers anymore (http://www.gpuss.co.uk/english_usage...onjunction.htm, for one example).

No worries about rudeness, brother - it's all good here.

Enough about literature - I had a couple of questions!!

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi OnceLost

**** "agrument" did I really type that?? (High horse runs for the hills!)

As far as I am aware (I am no practioner of naturopathy or osteopathy) Mr Mayo treated Mr Abbe in the UK in the late 40s and/or early 50s. The influence on the style being a move away from the practice of hardening of knuckles etc and board breaking as this can lead to problems in later life such as arthrities (sic) bored of looking for the dictionary!! All movement in Mayo Shin Do is natural and does not oppose force with force block therefore deflect rather than meet an attackers energy.

I can only speak from my own experiences as the the effectiveness of Mayo Shin Do and I can state I am only alive because of it. Having said that I am also not a worshipper of one style I have studied Taekwondo, Shotokan, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Boxing and Kodokan Judo (God this must bore you!) among others but have always personally preferred Mayo Shin Do.

Are some Kenpo schools badly run in your opinion? There is only one near to me and I have yet to attend. Should I be wary? OMG the guy calls himself Grey Wolf (http://www.bkku.com/profiles/prMasterRose.htm) no relation) !!

The kickboxing stuff! **** I can't find it on the website and I don't have it in my possession. I know it sounds like a cop out but I know it exists and I will make every effort to confirm my statement.

Thanks for accepting the apology I have no wish to make enemies
    Sorry if I am repeating what every noobie posts!!
    Our posts maybe getting crossed because my computer is older than my mother!!

Grey Owl

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi OnceLost

Found one!! WUMA PRO WORLD RATINGS Bert Barry won European Full Contact + 95 Kilograms Super Heavy Weight Title 1994 trained in Oxford in Khon Ha under Derek Collins England. this is on WUMA's website

http://wuma.uk.com/Full-Contact/FC%2...0page.htmChamp Eagles
    From the archive, first published Thursday 14th Dec 2000.

Found another!!!

Abingdon's Paul Eagles has clinched the WUMA British kick-boxing under 65kg light continuous crown.

Eagles, the English champion, beat the Welsh and Scottish title holders in a fight-off to clinch the crown in Cheltenham.

A member of Oxford Khon-ha Club at Morris Motors, Eagles had claimed the English title with victories in all six of the eight English Series events he entered.

source

http://archive.theoxfordtimes.net/2000/12/14/70988.html

It's not much but I do know of at least five others.

Grey Owl

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first link doesnt work.

these boys won anything anybody gives a **** about? note- that does not include semi contact kickboxing bollocks. real kickboxing only thanks. everything i can find on that WUMA site says semi or light contact. the only thing on that site that doesnt suck is the description of the strike and grapple rules- "STRIKE & GRAPPLE RULES - This is not a new sport, see the start of the film: Enter The Dragon starring Bruce Lee 1972"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grey Owl,

On the MSDKarate.com website it states they teach "weapons training" From the navigation menu it clearly indicates "Japanese Sword" I wonder if you can confirm what part of the Mayo Shin Do syllabus includes training in Nihonto and what Ryu-ha is taught, by whom and what grade(s) held by the teachers?

I have emailed the website's contact but not had a reply as yet. (understandable given the time of year)

Please understand that I'm not attempting a direct 'debunking' of Mr. Mayo or his martial system however, I am very suspicious of anyone or any website which lays claim to being the "founder of Kyu Shin Do" and, you cannot deny that on the www.mayoshindo.co.uk website there are several instances where this statement is attributed to Mr. G Mayo.

Abbe Kenshiro conceived, foundered and developed Kyu Shin Do not Mr. Mayo.

I'm also interested in where Mr. Mayo obtained his 10th dan, was this grade issued from a recognised external authority or, issued from within his own organisation?

Dave

Here's looking at you, squid. Join us... or die
    Style
    Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries about agrument - we are, as a gay roman once reminded Mel Brooks in a movie, but mortal.

Are some Kenpo schools badly run in your opinion?
    Not to completely change the focus of the thread, but yes. Very. Ke?po is falling (has fallen) into the TKD trap of being such a recognizable name that people use it to cater to the masses who have no interest in taking themselves outside of their comfort zone. I personally wouldn't train under GM Bob 'Grey Wolf' Rose knowing only what I do now - mostly because he calls himself a grand master, he is wearing hakama pants while practicing an American style, his 10th dan certificate is laminated (I'd expect framed, but no matter). Just my opinion, but give it a try and write a dojo review about it.

I can only speak from my own experiences as the the effectiveness of Mayo Shin Do and I can state I am only alive because of it.
    Of course I'm going to ask about this...so consider this the asking.

Thanks for accepting the apology I have no wish to make enemies
    Sorry if I am repeating what every noobie posts!!
    No need for apologies - like I said, you get thick skin or you flee from bullshido.net like a pedophile running from the nursing home. Bad analogy, but you get the point.

I appreciate the information on the fighters - that is exactly the kind of proof that verifies the claim of "we train fighters."

Excellent converse, Grey Owl...can you give some examples of the 'natural movements?' That sounds a lot like what is spouted by tai chi or -ing --un folk (usually the mystical chi ball type).

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Dave

Weapons training is out of my experience so I must stand down on this one.

Thanks for confirming 'not debunking' I'm beginning to feel entrenched.

I have already stated Mr Mayo's role as founder and the strong evidence to support it. No Abbe did not found it. The philosphy already existed and the martial art was developed by Mr Mayo this is in Abbe's own hand. If you want to take this further please contact Mr Collins.

I have seen Mr Mayo's 10th Dan certification (no you can't have it!) it was confirmed in Japan where he is also recognised as the founder of BOTH Kyu Shin Do and Mayo Shin Do.

I know that you are not debunking Mr Mayo etc but I felt very strongly that his name was ONLY posted in the McDojo forum and I felt this was unfair.

Alex whooooa

Calm down

http://wuma.uk.com/Full-Contact/FC%2...ngs%20page.htm

Try that my friend. I'm looking at it now. Note full contact!!

Grapple and strike, kickboxing (any) are sports and in themselves (though massively important to training) are not martial arts. There is a larger universe.

Before you bite my head off I continue to train full contact (I have also competed) and hugely respect those who do. I just feel that in itself it is not enough.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl
    I have already stated Mr Mayo's role as founder and the strong evidence to support it. No Abbe did not found it. The philosphy already existed and the martial art was developed by Mr Mayo this is in Abbe's own hand. If you want to take this further please contact Mr Collins.
    My point about including the word "conceived" in my last point has been well made.. If Abbe Kenshiro did not "found" Kyu Shin Do.. neither did George Mayo.

The fact the George Mayo himself has written the he "founded and developed Kyu Shin Do" indicates IMHO a degree of dishonesty on someone's part.
    The philosphy already existed and the martial art was developed by Mr Mayo this is in Abbe's own hand
    Prove it.. its as simple as that.
    ..I have seen Mr Mayo's 10th Dan certification (no you can't have it!) it was confirmed in Japan where he is also recognised as the founder of BOTH Kyu Shin Do and Mayo Shin Do
    Why can't I see evidence of the grade.. is it secret?

I understand that from what Mr. Mayo himself wrote in connection with the change in name from Kyu Shin Do to Mayo Shin Do, was because of a shift in what *some* of his senior instructors were doing, was the Japanese sword ever included in either Kyu Shin Do or Mayo Shin Do Syllabus to your knowledge ? Perhaps you could ask your Sensei if you're unable to answer.

Dave

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl
    http://wuma.uk.com/Full-Contact/FC%2...ngs%20page.htm

Try that my friend. I'm looking at it now. Note full contact!!
    thanks. what are the rules in one of these comps? does the full contact denote american style stuff with no kicks below the waist etc? if so then my point about things people give a **** about still stands.

Grapple and strike, kickboxing (any) are sports and in themselves (though massively important to training) are not martial arts. There is a larger universe.
    you forgot the bit where you put "in my opinion" unless you can tell me what makes these kind of "sport" systems not martial arts. not that i could give a toss what people call them since the term martial art is so closely associated with larping idiots these days, while combat sport actually garners a bit of respect, but its always interesting to see why people think that wearing pyjamas and dancing around pretending to be a crane is what defines a martial art.
    Last edited by alex; 12/27/2006 6:37pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must be mistaken because I was under the impression that George Mayo didn't condone competition in his martial art, and Mayo Shin Do exists because Mr. Mayo wanted to divorce himself from those that weren’t adhering to his wishes ?

Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last