Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:58am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardsamurai View Post
    I will also be using it frequently at a range for practice so is the glock .40 just as good as the sig 228 in terms of frequent use?
    Of course. Why do you think most law enforcement units use Glock or Sig? You can also go for a H&K USP .45, but that would be pricier.

I can just say my Glock has never failed me. And as I wrote: Been owning it a long time now and I shoot a lot.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardsamurai View Post
    Yeah I will definitely be looking into buying a new one. When you guys say "not reliable" do you mean the gun jams up or breaks down repeatedly?
    I've never fired a Hi-Point; however, after seeing how low the price was, I searched around on the net to find some reviews, and that's exactly what was said. Frequent jamming and poor quality magazines were the primary complaints. If you're buying a weapon for home-defense then you don't really want one which may or may not fire when you need it, heh.

Hi-Point doesn't seem to have a reputation for quality.

I will also be using it frequently at a range for practice so is the glock .40 just as good as the sig 228 in terms of frequent use?
    IMO, yes. In a choice between Glock and Sig what it will boil down to is personal preference. I like them both, but I like Glock better. It's a personal thing.
    Last edited by KenpoCombatives; 9/29/2009 10:04am at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:00am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want a gun with little maintance issues, don't go for 1911 A1 .45 derivates ;) Talk about jamming...

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:05am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asking what "the best gun" is, is like asking what the "best martial art" is.

My answer to the question usually is: the most gun you can handle accurately and that you are willing to carry (if carry is possible). The kel tec .32 in your pocket that you can drive a tack with trumps the .50 Desert Eagle you cant hit **** with that is locked in your gun cabinet.

The fact of the matter is that pretty much ANY handgun made by a reputable manufacturer is a "good gun" for the average shooter, if you care for and feed it properly. Even some of the "cheap guns" with bad reps can be made serviceable with some aftermarket mags, the right ammo choice or some part replacements. And of course you have to train with it regularly.

Personally I wouldn't go below .38
    Last edited by tgace; 9/29/2009 10:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:13am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes. i've never heard anything about reliability issues with glocks.

unless, of course, one is an idiot.

once at the range, the guy next to me is shooting his glock and showing his cousin how it works. for whatever reason, using whatever passes as logic in his pea brain (i was shooting and didn't catch why), he opens the chamber, inserts a spent shell casing, and closes the chamber without having first removed the mag. i swear this is true. the shop owner tried to help him get the chamber open, but it was stuck as stuck can be. guy hadda send it to glock to get it fixed.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:17am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this for carrying or for home defense? The latter, get a 12 GA shotgun (20 GA if you'll be "sharing" it with a female companion).

My carry piece is a Kel-Tec PF-9, but it's a mean son of a bitch that you don't want to put more than a few magazines through every so often.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nohero View Post
    yes. i've never heard anything about reliability issues with glocks.

unless, of course, one is an idiot.

once at the range, the guy next to me is shooting his glock and showing his cousin how it works. for whatever reason, using whatever passes as logic in his pea brain (i was shooting and didn't catch why), he opens the chamber, inserts a spent shell casing, and closes the chamber without having first removed the mag. i swear this is true. the shop owner tried to help him get the chamber open, but it was stuck as stuck can be. guy hadda send it to glock to get it fixed.
    Thats odd. It sounds like he was trying to show a Type 3 malfunction. That would only be a double feed. While a pain in the ass to clear all you really need to do is horse out the mag and run the slide.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Is this for carrying or for home defense? The latter, get a 12 GA shotgun (20 GA if you'll be "sharing" it with a female companion).

My carry piece is a Kel-Tec PF-9, but it's a mean son of a bitch that you don't want to put more than a few magazines through every so often.
    QFT

I don't know what the law is in your state but here in NY you can have a pistol permit that is either a "carry permit" or "target/hunting permit". It's my opinion that if you cant get a carry permit you should just buy a shotgun. The pistol is a compromise of power for portability in the first place.

But if your "home defense" SG is locked away unloaded its useless too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:37am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Thats odd. It sounds like he was trying to show a Type 3 malfunction. That would only be a double feed. While a pain in the ass to clear all you really need to do is horse out the mag and run the slide.
    the guy had no idea what to do, and the shop owner treated the gun like it would bite him, but they definitely could not get the slide back...

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, gotta agree with this. It would be the more responsible choice for the sake of your neighbors and whatnot, and a shotgun can be more forgiving as far as accuracy is concerned.

I got a 12g, pump action, short barrel with a composite stock for dirt cheap. It's what I keep handy in my bedroom. Something like $200. That's what I reach for when I hear some noise around my house in the middle of the night. It's a rare occurrence, but it happens every now and then.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast