Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 8:28am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I need a firearm

Last night someone was murdered on my street. I heard the gunfire but I did not go outside until after the police had the area blocked off.

My first priority is leaving the neighborhood but of course that won't be happening anytime soon due to financial restraints.

I live in Nj and I'm going to get my firearm permit as soon as possible so my question to you bullies is as a noob to firearms what should I look out for?

I know its a pretty general question and I'll be doing some research on my own but I am hoping I can get some help here as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 8:52am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As active reserve member I own a firearm (which is uncommon in Germany ;)) and if you are looking for a light and reliable sidearm, go for a Glock in .40 S&W. It works under all conditions and is very light. I have had my Glock 17 (9mm) for 5 years now, never had any problems - even with ammunition everyone else was having problems with, the Glock took it all.

P.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardsamurai View Post
    Last night someone was murdered on my street. I heard the gunfire but I did not go outside until after the police had the area blocked off.

My first priority is leaving the neighborhood but of course that won't be happening anytime soon due to financial restraints.

I live in Nj and I'm going to get my firearm permit as soon as possible so my question to you bullies is as a noob to firearms what should I look out for?

I know its a pretty general question and I'll be doing some research on my own but I am hoping I can get some help here as well.
    Hey, I tend to favor the Glock. IMO, Glock puts out incredibly reliable standard, compact, and subcompact firearms. Poke around the net a bit and read about how glock got its start. It's a good read. I own the G17 which is the standard size 9mill with high capacity mags. This is an outstanding pistol, but it lacks real stopping power.

Basically, what you're looking for is a weapon with enough stopping power to put an aggressor down, regardless of his/her size. The .45 is generally accepted as the caliber of choice for that purpose.

You probably should investigate the CCW laws for where you live. Check out how to legally store and transport your firearm as well as what ammunition is legal in your state. FIND A FIREARMS SAFETY CLASS that will also take you to an indoor firing range and teach you all aspects of how to safely handle and fire your weapon. The vendor selling your weapon should be able to refer you to a safety class. Failing that, call your police department and ask them.

Beware! Once you buy your first pistol, you'll want another one pretty soon. After all, you'll say to yourself, everyone should have a Glock...and a .357 mag...and a NAA mini-revolver (they're so freakin' cute!)...and a taurus .410/.45 revolver (shotgun shells in a revolver! Yeah, baby!)...etc, etc, etc. It's inevitable.

Take care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the same one my friend purchased a while back ago when he landed a job in corrections. Definitely going to look into it and thanks for the advice. I'm assuming the prices on a firearm vary depending on the circumstances. Under that assumption, how much would be too much for that firearm?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:26am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sig p228. compact model, reliable as hell. 13+1. you can get one used for about $400-500. they don't make 'em anymore, and i hear that the 229, the model that replaced it, isn't nearly as good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p228-left-full.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	10661  

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardsamurai View Post
    Looks like the same one my friend purchased a while back ago when he landed a job in corrections. Definitely going to look into it and thanks for the advice. I'm assuming the prices on a firearm vary depending on the circumstances. Under that assumption, how much would be too much for that firearm?
    I'm sure that the price will vary a bit depending on the state in which you reside, but figure on spending around $500.00 for a decent semi-auto weapon. You can certainly pick up a revolver for less if you choose. I think my Glock ran right around $475 whereas my .357 Magnum revolver was around $350. Remember that the price will vary depending on who the manufacturer is. For example, where I live you can buy a Hi-Point .45 for $150. The problem with that is that you get what you pay for. IMO, cheap ass weapons generally are not reliable. Don't buy cheap weapons and try to stay away from "pre-owned" stuff as well.

Take Care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:37am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoCombatives View Post
    Don't buy cheap weapons and try to stay away from "pre-owned" stuff as well.
    definitely don't buy cheap, but i bought my used 228 three years ago and have put thousands of rounds through it without a problem. just sayin'

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nohero View Post
    definitely don't buy cheap, but i bought my used 228 three years ago and have put thousands of rounds through it without a problem. just sayin'
    I hear ya. I got screwed on one pistol once-upon-a-time, so I generally stay the hell away from used weapons now. I got all excited when I saw it, and bought it without really inspecting the weapon. My fault.

You can certainly pick up a good used weapon if you know what to watch out for, but if you're new to weapons in general, I'd just go ahead an buy a new one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I will definitely be looking into buying a new one. When you guys say "not reliable" do you mean the gun jams up or breaks down repeatedly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will also be using it frequently at a range for practice so is the glock .40 just as good as the sig 228 in terms of frequent use?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast