Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shizen ryu Bujutsu as taught by Tadashi Taisan

Hi all,

This is my first post here on bullshido. I posted this on e-budo but there seems to be little activity over there. I used to be involved with the X-Kans (Takamatsu den orgs), so I found this interesting. While this guy that this thread is about is not a fraud in the real sense of the word, I do think that he's a bit of a wacko. please read below.

I thought that I would post this in baffling budo because, well, itís damn well baffling. Iíve been out of the X-kans for quite some time now, but still enjoy reading Paul Richardsonís Hanako newsletters each month. I noticed an article in his recent newsletter by an author named Tadashi Taisan. I followed the link http://keikishin.googlepages.com/ and was quite amazed.

To sum it up, this Tadashi lad founded Shizen ryu as a breakaway art from the X-kans, I forget his real name but I saw him a few times when I was a student of Craig Guestís Bujinkan dojo quite some time ago. As far as Craig ever mentioned, he had no grade higher than Shodan, which was awarded to him from Peter Meden.

Many moons later when I was a group leader for the Genbukan/KJJR, a nice chap named Dave from New Zealand accompanied by the very girl pictured with Tadashi on the home page of the Shizen ryu site, visited my training space for a trial KJJR session. After the session they told me of their backgrounds and the girl mentioned that she was going for her Godan in Shizen ryu. I asked her in a polite manner if Tadashi (she used his real name back then, but well, I've forgotten it) had continued to study beyond Shodan with another X-kan instructor but she confirmed that he left the Bujinkan as a Shodan.

I forget the girls name (you can see I have a dilema with remembering names) but she was very polite and the both of them (Dave and the girl), were very friendly and seemed quite likeable. It did puzzle me that someone who had the lofty grade of Shodan (which in the Bujinkan is veeerrry lofty) could then grade people in their own system far beyond any grade that they had achieved themselves.

Furthermore, why give yourself a Japanese name, his real name is not even mentioned on his site, I know he has a western name from back in Craigs dojo? It looks like the students have Japanese names as well which I find really weird. Not to mention that Paul included this article in his reputable Bujinkan newsletter.

As for myself, I've never felt a intense connection with Asia even though I'm quarter Japanese, I like martial arts and the culture but I'm basically a weaterner, so I find it a little strange when people switch from "Jack" to "Yoichi", what would your parents think young man?

Am I the only one who finds this a little strange?

Personally I dont care if they operate or not! Melbourne, Australia has quite a few 'real' budo frauds as it is. I just find this complete transformation from a moderatly ranked Westerner to a Japanese Kancho (not that he claims that title) really strange.

Any thoughts!

Cheers,

Greg

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 7:08pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greg, have you thought of asking Paul directly, he's online quite a lot, just not here.

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 7:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Yoj,

Yeah, I though about that, but I'm sure he did not know about the "shizen ryu" background, maybe he just threw the article in his newsletter.

The main thing is that how can a low grade be grading people in their own system well above any rank that they have achieved themselves.

The most disturbing thing is seeing some Anglo guy calling himself "Tadashi". A friend told me that on their old website the students had Japanese names as well, now that to me seems pretty damn weird.

Does that mean that if I start Systema that I should change my name to Vladmir or some other russian name and switch from beer to vodka?
    Last edited by EcoRI; 9/28/2009 7:59pm at .

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 5:14am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, I was expecting someone else to have posted in reply to this, as I'd gone to bed but apparently not!

Folks can of course create their own systems and grade people in them, that's how new arts are formed. The founders though usually have a great deal more experience than this gentleman. It appears he is riding on the idea that he has studied with various different folk and therefore has this broad experience to draw from.

Combine that with the other pursuits, the calligraphy, and the meditation, spirituality/philosophy etc, plus the name change, and that's pretty LARPtastic. Not hat I have any problem with calligraphy etc, I've done them myself, but I don't write a webpage building myself up as some Bushi sword and pen master based on a singular shodan and a smattering of training etc.

Is it worth investigating? To some maybe, to me it's pretty obvious what's going on....

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 4:25pm

Style: BJK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His name is Brett Simpson, pm me if you want to know more or just call me at the dojo Greg. CG