Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 11:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jui Jitsu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh in regards to the "many" high ranking students in judo, there are three - I don't consider that many for someone who has been training for 30 years or more. Martial artists from all over the United States and all over the world have been training with Hanshi Stroud. He has never given rank lightly. It takes appropriately three to five years to achieve a Black Belt under Hanshi Stroud. He truly believes in time in grade. To train under him is truly an honor and pleasure. Although he is not in the dojo on a regular basis, he is still a wealth of knowledge. His students are humble and respectful and like Hanshi Stroud "would give you the shirt off their backs."

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that is a lot considering they don't actually teach Judo at the school. It's not like they have just one random guy who walked in with 20-30 years of prior Judo experience and a 3rd-5th degrees and switched to their system. Did your school rank them in Judo?

Anyways, he may be a fine martial artist, as he apparently had actual training unlike a lot of the people that are investigated here and it turns up nothing. Giving yourself a 10th dan is still b.s. It doesn't cancel out everything good he might have done in martial arts aside from that, but it still is what it is.

"True enlightenment" makes sense in the context you've explained it. It's incredibly vague with a lot of mystical overtones on it's own and you can't really blame people for not getting it, especially when many martial arts schools use crazy pseudo-philosophy and chi/ki mysticism to sell themselves. You put that statement up on your public business website for strangers considering joining your school to read, it's illogical to get upset if it gets misinterpreted. (Keep in mind too that your site reads "reached true enlightenment 5.18.07", then continues to talk about him in the present tense as though he's still alive and training.) Sorry to hear of his death.

I don't think people posted maliciously about your school. The OP wanted a specific type of training and your school didn't offer it. No one said your school sucked or that you're a bunch of frauds. People had a mixture of positive and negative things to say; this is a consumer advocacy forum, not a site where we just say everyone who has done martial arts for X years is awesome and beyond any form of reproach.

Also, 3-5 years to black belt isn't much time in grade though. I don't care, but you brought it up as an example.

P.S. Separate individual thoughts into paragraphs if you want people to read what you've written. Most people won't make the effort to read that.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/18/2010 12:30pm at .

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 1:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please don't misunderstand...I am not upset. I am simply extending an invitation to train and an explanation for things misunderstood.

Thanks for the advice in breaking thoughts into simple paragraphs. I'm sure it would make the reading easier for those who just want to pull out of a response what they want.

And I agree self proclaimed 10th dans are just what they are - self proclaimed; however Hanshi Stroud was awarded that degree by his peers. He is well deserved and will tell everything that his most prized degree is his fifth dan and he prefers the title Shihan.

I only brought up the time in grade because so many schools promote to Shodan within a year or two. I'm sure as you know there is much more to being a Black Belt than a piece of cloth tied around one's waist.

There are a number of "political" martial arts organizations in existence. We have been part of many of them through the years. We are not affiliated with one, one that we were a part of organizing. A small group of martial artists created their own organization without political ties so students of all styles could train and network. All are welcome and the fees are minimal, unlike many other organizations. It is our desire to contribute to the art, not rape it.

Malicious or not, some of the comments could have been addressed with a simple phone call if "they" didn't get a return email. The invitation still stands and I hope "they" find whatever "they" are looking for as there are a number of excellent schools out there along with a number that are not so excellent.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond in a professional manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Well, that is a lot considering they don't actually teach Judo at the school. It's not like they have just one random guy who walked in with 20-30 years of prior Judo experience and a 3rd-5th degrees and switched to their system. Did your school rank them in Judo?

Anyways, he may be a fine martial artist, as he apparently had actual training unlike a lot of the people that are investigated here and it turns up nothing. Giving yourself a 10th dan is still b.s. It doesn't cancel out everything good he might have done in martial arts aside from that, but it still is what it is.

"True enlightenment" makes sense in the context you've explained it. It's incredibly vague with a lot of mystical overtones on it's own and you can't really blame people for not getting it, especially when many martial arts schools use crazy pseudo-philosophy and chi/ki mysticism to sell themselves. You put that statement up on your public business website for strangers considering joining your school to read, it's illogical to get upset if it gets misinterpreted. (Keep in mind too that your site reads "reached true enlightenment 5.18.07", then continues to talk about him in the present tense as though he's still alive and training.) Sorry to hear of his death.

I don't think people posted maliciously about your school. The OP wanted a specific type of training and your school didn't offer it. No one said your school sucked or that you're a bunch of frauds. People had a mixture of positive and negative things to say; this is a consumer advocacy forum, not a site where we just say everyone who has done martial arts for X years is awesome and beyond any form of reproach.

Also, 3-5 years to black belt isn't much time in grade though. I don't care, but you brought it up as an example.

P.S. Separate individual thoughts into paragraphs if you want people to read what you've written. Most people won't make the effort to read that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 4:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuneycutt View Post

And I agree self proclaimed 10th dans are just what they are - self proclaimed; however Hanshi Stroud was awarded that degree by his peers. He is well deserved and will tell everything that his most prized degree is his fifth dan and he prefers the title Shihan.
    Table this because, it will get very ugly.

I only brought up the time in grade because so many schools promote to Shodan within a year or two. I'm sure as you know there is much more to being a Black Belt than a piece of cloth tied around one's waist.
    3-5 is an average number as well.

Malicious or not, some of the comments could have been addressed with a simple phone call if "they" didn't get a return email. The invitation still stands and I hope "they" find whatever "they" are looking for as there are a number of excellent schools out there along with a number that are not so excellent.
    One thing that came out of telemarketing is the hard sell. With the internet people can avoid this problem. Yes, it seems cold but, a large majority of people like to be anonymous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 6:25pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is my post quoted at the bottom of rhuneyutt's first post. Was that in agreement, am I the one he's accusing of maliciously posting? I is confused.

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 9:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No fourTwenty, I was not referring to you as malicious. You had some very kind words and I appreciate them. I don't know how your post was at the bottom of my first response. I'm sure it something I did as I am new to this forum. Please forgive the confusion and again, I appreciate your kind words.
    Quote Originally Posted by fourTwenty View Post
    Why is my post quoted at the bottom of rhuneyutt's first post. Was that in agreement, am I the one he's accusing of maliciously posting? I is confused.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 10:57pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a problem. You're proally clicking "quote" which throws up the code to quote a post in your reply. You can also click "post reply" or scroll to the bottome and type out a quick reply then post that. Have fun, welcome to Bullshido. Don't feed the trolls.

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 2:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just like to address the situation regarding Shihan Barry Huneycutt. His death has affected many not only in our own dojo, but in our community as well. As his student and his DAUGHTER I am offended by the comments on this website. While you claim that they are not out of malice, that is how they are perceived.
    You claim that groundfighter89's comment was immature because he was "lashing out towards someone he doesn't know." We must not have read the same comment. He was simply stating a fact about Shihan Barry since his rank is apparently under investigation?. Yes I can see where the wording on the website would raise questions, but why not ask the dojo instead of some forum on a website in which most do not know him?
    And as for his second statement, potential customer or not it really isnt any of his business why we word something on our website the way we word it. If he was truly curious he could pick up the phone or drive to the building itself, not hide behind a computer screen just to talk **** and be a smartass; which was his intent.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    "Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength"

~Eric Hoffer

Any potential consumer has the right to question to credentials of anyone who he/she is seeking a service from, whether its martial arts instruction or plumbing. The OP did things in a respectful, appropriate manner.

Secondly, I'm sorry for your loss, however you are an adult, and should act like one. Lashing out at someone you don't know isn't a sign of maturity or personal growth.

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 2:32pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huneycutt View Post
    I would just like to address the situation regarding Shihan Barry Huneycutt. His death has affected many not only in our own dojo, but in our community as well. As his student and his DAUGHTER I am offended by the comments on this website. While you claim that they are not out of malice, that is how they are perceived.
    You claim that groundfighter89's comment was immature because he was "lashing out towards someone he doesn't know." We must not have read the same comment. He was simply stating a fact about Shihan Barry since his rank is apparently under investigation?. Yes I can see where the wording on the website would raise questions, but why not ask the dojo instead of some forum on a website in which most do not know him?
    And as for his second statement, potential customer or not it really isnt any of his business why we word something on our website the way we word it. If he was truly curious he could pick up the phone or drive to the building itself, not hide behind a computer screen just to talk **** and be a smartass; which was his intent.
    Thanks.
    As many other posters on this website know, a martial arts school that is less than legit is not going to represent themselves as being as such, no matter if you go and visit them in person or give them a call. This website's main purpose is to connect martial artists and protential martial artists in a network for information sharing, whether it is through personal experience with a particular establishment, training in a particular style, or just overall more time in martial arts in general. The OP used this website exactly how it was intended.

You do admit that some of the wording on the website can appear suspicious, but at the same time say that it is not the right of a consumer to question the website. May I ask what the purpose of your website is, if not for advertisement of your business? It is accessible to all, its not password protected.

Once again I am sorry for your loss, but if you have a business advertisement that is less than crystal clear, an informed person is going to question it, and use what resources are available. Some questions thankfully have been cleared up and answered but hopefully when you folks have the time and inclination you can go about fixing some of these issues that have been brought up. It will be good for your business, and at any point, feel free to review your dojo on this bullshido and make it that much more accessible to future clients.

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 7:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can tell, this particular forum on this website, and I'm guessing there are many more forums like this, is to discuss an issue that none of you know about. You are investigating dojos to see if they are fake or not? Seriously, how much time do you have on your hands? The whole idea of this website is odd to me.

You say that giving a call or dropping by wouldn't help? What would it have hurt? If you had done so, all of your concerns or suspicions and whatever else, could have been cleared up face to face.

I said the wording could be read as confusing, I did not say it was suspicious; and we do not have any intentions of changing it. To be honest, I don't have a problem being questioned about the website, but I do have a problem with someone questioning it, and somewhat making fun of it, to people that have no relation to our dojo or have any idea of what they are talking about with the instructors at our dojo.

My point in writing this was not to argue and bicker back and forth with anyone, but just to let you all know how your words are read on this site; and that they are hurtful as it is a sensitive subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    As many other posters on this website know, a martial arts school that is less than legit is not going to represent themselves as being as such, no matter if you go and visit them in person or give them a call. This website's main purpose is to connect martial artists and protential martial artists in a network for information sharing, whether it is through personal experience with a particular establishment, training in a particular style, or just overall more time in martial arts in general. The OP used this website exactly how it was intended.

You do admit that some of the wording on the website can appear suspicious, but at the same time say that it is not the right of a consumer to question the website. May I ask what the purpose of your website is, if not for advertisement of your business? It is accessible to all, its not password protected.

Once again I am sorry for your loss, but if you have a business advertisement that is less than crystal clear, an informed person is going to question it, and use what resources are available. Some questions thankfully have been cleared up and answered but hopefully when you folks have the time and inclination you can go about fixing some of these issues that have been brought up. It will be good for your business, and at any point, feel free to review your dojo on this bullshido and make it that much more accessible to future clients.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast