Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post

Well, Mr. Stroud seems to have a legit Judo background, but from the perspective of a potential student who wants to learn Judo, the question in my mind would be: do they actually teach Judo here or are they teaching a hodgepodge system with Judo techniques in it, but with compliant JJJ training as opposed to Judo methodology (drilling techniques the way you'd use them in randori and then randori-ing).
    I sent them an email nearly two weeks ago, and this was one of the questions I asked. I've not gotten a reply from them.

"My understanding of the info presented on your web site is that you provide blended training (Judo, Jiu Jitsu and Karate). Is it possible to arrange for straight Judo training? "

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have multiple members who are judo black belts at ranks above nidan.

Why are they not on judoinfo? http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/bro...rth%20Carolina

Maofas, you said they claimed USJA membership?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, just that Mr. Stroud specifically has a nidan in Judo recognized by the USJA. I didn't ask about the club or the other instructors.

It's possible that the others got their rank from someone else, but 3rd & 4th dans (which quite of few of their instructors are claiming) are pretty heavy Judo ranks. (For comparison my head instructor only got his 4th a year or two ago at the Spirit of the Eagle camp after almost 30 years of active competition and coaching.)

I'm not saying it's untrue, but that is a shiiiiitload of Judo experience being claimed for a club that doesn't have Judo-specific classes.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll send something to the USJA asking for verification.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 6:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu jitsu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2- Being how barry brought judo to our dojo and richy was already ranked in jiu jitsu.. why wouldn't it be legit?

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 6:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu jitsu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He lost his fight to cancer on that day if you must know..sorry it seemed a little "off" to you.. not that it is any of your business or we really care what you think

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 7:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by groundfighter89 View Post

He lost his fight to cancer on that day if you must know..sorry it seemed a little "off" to you.. not that it is any of your business or we really care what you think
    First of all, sorry to hear about the loss. That's really terrible, but you have to admit, that is a curious way to state it on a web site.

But regarding your second comment, I asked the questions I asked AS A PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMER. Stroud's is the closest place I could find for Judo training for my family, and I wanted to know more about it before I spent money there.

I'm a noob about this stuff and wanted more information. If that makes these questions "none of my business" I guess Stroud's does not want MY business. I'm also pretty sure not caring what I think would be classified as poor customer service.

Really, I was just seeking information from those better equipped to ask the right questions. There was no malice intended. But the answer about going to Stroud's for our training is more clear now than it was yesterday.
    Last edited by goobey-boy; 7/14/2010 7:55am at .

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 7:27pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by groundfighter89 View Post
    "Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength"

~Eric Hoffer

Any potential consumer has the right to question to credentials of anyone who he/she is seeking a service from, whether its martial arts instruction or plumbing. The OP did things in a respectful, appropriate manner.

Secondly, I'm sorry for your loss, however you are an adult, and should act like one. Lashing out at someone you don't know isn't a sign of maturity or personal growth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:22pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I'm stepping out on my front porch, throwing a rock, yeah, just bounced it off of Stroud's front door.

They are all very nice people and it is an excellent dojo for kids. They focus a lot on the discipline and history. If your looking to get in shape, be competitive, or going for self-defense reasons then Strouds is not for you.

BTW Mr. Brinn, please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't try to give your word for anybody. The people involved in Strouds school are all really honest, if nothing else.

groundfighter89 I'm almost certain we know each other. Got any computer problems?

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 11:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jui Jitsu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Invitation to train

I normally do not participate in such forums, but since there seems to be so much misunderstanding from some I thought perhaps I would extend an invitation to the dojo to the one who emailed and didn't get an answer. Apparently your email was not received as I personally answer all that we get. As for your original question of straight judo training, special arrangements would have to be made for that as we train in three different arts and depending on who is in class on each night, depends on what we teach. Some nights we have all three going on at one time, but again, we recommend that you visit our school or any school for that matter that you are planning to join so you can see for yourself the instruction, the students, and the teachers. That way you can make an informative decision on the appropriate school and training. I'm sorry you did not receive an answer, but again, your email must not have been received. Our school has been in existence since the 60s. It's a concrete block building that was built by the students - no air conditioning still today in the summer and very little heat in the winter. Our students come from all walks of life. What brings us together is when we step on the mat. We are family and we foster that attitude. All are welcome, but to quote our instructor Hanshi Stroud "This is what we do. If you want it, then there is someone here willing to share. If you don't, that's fine for there are plenty of schools out there from which to choose." You will find no better person than Lemuel Stroud who has a Nidan degree from USJA. He received his other degrees from the late Soke Richard Baillargeon of NKJU and that late Soke Kuniba of Seishin Kai. He became a founding father of the NMAA and has been recognized by his peers for his dedication and contributions to the arts. He also received his Shihan title from Master Okuyama's son of the Hakkoryu Federation. He is no longer a member of the Hakkoryu Federation. He is one of the true martial artists in talent and in mind. He will soon be 80 years old and he has forgotten more than I or his students will ever know. He is loved and deeply respected. You're right in that anyone who wishes to question his credentials or his students should feel free to do so, but in the proper environment. You say your comments were not meant in malice; however, they are hurtful and disappointing. Those wishing to train and are seeking information should do so without attacking without knowledge of which they speak. As for the "true enlightment" statement on the webpage, I believe that has been explained. Shihan Barry Huneycutt passed away from a four-year battle with cancer. He continued to go to the dojo and help even in his weakened state. After he died, his students knew we needed to post something on our black belt gallery and his students and wife were just at a loss of how to appropriately do so. At the suggestion of someone who admired and loved him, we decided on that statement. I am sorry if that offended you, but it was all that we could handle then and now. He is missed very much. If there are other concerns from those who posted so maliciously, there is a phone number under contacts on www.stroudschool.com. Please feel free to call and ask your questions. If we can be of any assitance please do not hesitate to let us know. Our doors are open and you are welcome to visit any time. Thank you to those who responded in such a positive way. As martial artists, it is the only appropriate way. Whether I agree with other schools or training or not, I do not attack them or talk disparingly about them. I always tell students to visit the school you're interested in. You can tell a great deal by the way the students and instructors carry themselves. We have nothing to prove. We love the art, the history, the training and the comraderie. I'm sure you would find the same if you visited.
    Quote Originally Posted by fourTwenty View Post
    Okay, I'm stepping out on my front porch, throwing a rock, yeah, just bounced it off of Stroud's front door.

They are all very nice people and it is an excellent dojo for kids. They focus a lot on the discipline and history. If your looking to get in shape, be competitive, or going for self-defense reasons then Strouds is not for you.

BTW Mr. Brinn, please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't try to give your word for anybody. The people involved in Strouds school are all really honest, if nothing else.

groundfighter89 I'm almost certain we know each other. Got any computer problems?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast