Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:04pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

my new dog bros sticks! Review/opinions/plans

After ordering several sticks through ebay and what not, the varying quality of the sticks began to frustrate me. So I decided to try the dog bros sticks i've heard suggested here before.

I got a pair of the Crafty dog 31" sticks and one Top dog 30" stick. My first impression of the sticks when opening the box "damn these are big ass sticks" diameter wise. The weight is comparable to other sticks i've used. The rattan skin has a finished yet almost ribbed looking surface with 3 nodes per stick. I have other sticks that have 5-6 nodes, do more nodes really equal a stronger stick? The top dog model feels about as heavy as one of my kamgong sticks. When I get to it i'll probably cut down the Top dog stick and one of the Craftys to the standard 26" stick i'm used to, I think i'll keep the second Crafty at 31" for some variety. The only time we do any double stick in my class in for warmup drills so I don't necessarily need these sticks to be the exact same size. I have other sticks that I use less for that.

I'm not sure what to expect from such bigger diameter sticks. I think it may make things easier though. I've noticed when doing cuentada drills with smaller sticks I get some pain in my thumb, bigger sticks seem to lessen the problem, not sure what causes it exactly though. I also expect the larger diameter will make the sticks easier to hold with hockey gloves while sparring. The diameter of sticks i'm used to is around 3/4" or slightly bigger the Dog bros. 7/8" and 1 1/8". The weight of the sticks is similiar to others I already use but the diameter is the major difference.

I still haven't trained with the new saticks yet, I just opened them and swung them around a little, and was excited about it. I post more about how they feel later on, that is if anyone even seems to care.

MY questoins are what size diameter stick do you/ people you know train with use? What can I expect by going up in diameter size? Any tradeoffs as far as handling ability goes? and as mentioned earlier, Do more nodes equal stronger stick?

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The diameter that is comfortable for you is the best. If your feeling pain doing routine exercises, than you need a different size. If bigger feels better, than go for it. (just keep in mind that you still need to get your mits around them for a good grip.

I like between 1 - 1&1/4 inch diameter. Smaller is hard for me to grip. Bigger hurts my hands when doing warm ups.

Also, yes more nodes means a stronger stick. The nodes are the densest, strongest part of the stick. You'll notice that is the only spot that doesn't shred apart after a while. The best rattan sticks I've seen had a node every inch or so and were all but encased in polyurethane finish. If you want ones stronger than that, get a set made of kamagong.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 7:28pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I make it a habit to just always buy sticks that are different lengths/sizes than my last set. As a consquence, I've always been able to pick up anything, at any size/shape and just have it fall to the right point in my grip, automatically adjust to new lengths, excetera.

Mine never last long enough for me to worry about anything else; I'm sorta hard on the poor babies.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 5:17pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    The diameter that is comfortable for you is the best. If your feeling pain doing routine exercises, than you need a different size. If bigger feels better, than go for it. (just keep in mind that you still need to get your mits around them for a good grip.

I like between 1 - 1&1/4 inch diameter. Smaller is hard for me to grip. Bigger hurts my hands when doing warm ups.

Also, yes more nodes means a stronger stick. The nodes are the densest, strongest part of the stick. You'll notice that is the only spot that doesn't shred apart after a while. The best rattan sticks I've seen had a node every inch or so and were all but encased in polyurethane finish. If you want ones stronger than that, get a set made of kamagong.
    I've heard people say not to use kamagong or any hardwood sticks for contact drills because of the fact that they don't flex or give as much as rattan which leads to breaking and splintering after several uses. I only use my kamagong sticks to practice striking techniques at the air.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    I make it a habit to just always buy sticks that are different lengths/sizes than my last set. As a consquence, I've always been able to pick up anything, at any size/shape and just have it fall to the right point in my grip, automatically adjust to new lengths, excetera.

Mine never last long enough for me to worry about anything else; I'm sorta hard on the poor babies.
    I'm kind of starting to break out of the confines of the original style FMA I learned and i'm now experimenting with different length sticks. I've always used different weight/material sticks though.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 5:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I've heard people say not to use kamagong or any hardwood sticks for contact drills because of the fact that they don't flex or give as much as rattan which leads to breaking and splintering after several uses. I only use my kamagong sticks to practice striking techniques at the air.
    I'm kind of starting to break out of the confines of the original style FMA I learned and i'm now experimenting with different length sticks. I've always used different weight/material sticks though.
    He asked about stick strength. If you can find a better wood stick buy it!

Rattan is for training.

Kamagong is for kicking ass.

I highly doubt that Kamagong sticks will even be scuffed by contact with rattan, tires, heavy bags, human faces, or any of the other stuff you might be hitting with them on a given day of play. Though hardwood on hardwood, or wood on metal might be a different story. I guess it depends on how you use them.

I have a feeling that you could even shatter those funky graphite sticks with Kamagong. The stuff is pretty resilient. I've never seen one fail, though I've seen a lot of rattan die with heavy use.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 8:25pm

Style: EBMAS\52 Blocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm still a noob @ escrima so I'll ask what may be an obvious question. Are Kamagong sticks too heavy to train with? Not sparring as people have said but are they "heavier" than rattan? Reading this,I'm thinking of buying some.

Thanks.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 8:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawb_Prime View Post
    I'm still a noob @ escrima so I'll ask what may be an obvious question. Are Kamagong sticks too heavy to train with? Not sparring as people have said but are they "heavier" than rattan? Reading this,I'm thinking of buying some.

Thanks.
    Much heavier. It's very dense wood from the ebony family.

Not too heavy to train with, but possibly too nice. They are expensive, and more suited to bashing heads than working out with your buddies who are using rattan. You'll possibly damage their sticks faster, and you might wear yourself out trying to keep up with them. (not necessarily a bad thing, but still...)

I recommend them for doing your warm ups and exercises. Redondo's and sinawali, and all that. Kind of like jogging with weights on.

When you go back to rattan for the stick on stick stuff, it will feel as light as Styrofoam. You'll have noticeable gains in strength and speed.

I've made several pairs of extra heavy sticks for that type of strength training. Even have some that are a heavy hard wood, wraped in steel cable for extra weight. Now those bastsards will make you WORK for it!:icon_pira

The kamagong also looks very nice for demos or display. It depends on what you want.

Here's a guy with some good prices and good sticks. He's always treated me right:

http://www.bloodsport.com/

And guess what, he parties with the dog brothers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 9:04pm

Style: EBMAS\52 Blocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not too heavy to train with, but possibly too nice. They are expensive, and more suited to bashing heads than working out with your buddies who are using rattan. You'll possibly damage their sticks faster, and you might wear yourself out trying to keep up with them. (not necessarily a bad thing, but still...)

I recommend them for doing your warm ups and exercises. Redondo's and sinawali, and all that. Kind of like jogging with weights on.

When you go back to rattan for the stick on stick stuff, it will feel as light as Styrofoam. You'll have noticeable gains in strength and speed.

I've made several pairs of extra heavy sticks for that type of strength training. Even have some that are a heavy hard wood, wraped in steel cable for extra weight. Now those bastsards will make you WORK for it!:icon_pira

The kamagong also looks very nice for demos or display. It depends on what you want.

Here's a guy with some good prices and good sticks. He's always treated me right:

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll try to purchase a pair from them soon.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For what its worth, I also get all my sticks from Nick at KIL. Pretty much any stick I've ever gotten from anywhere else has been laughable by comparison.

He knows his stuff and will take the time to answer any questions you have and help you find out what size and type of stick you really need/want.

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 9:20am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

The big dangers are

a) Turning everyone elses's sticks into dust, which makes you a dick.
    b) Getting tennis elbow because the kamagong won't absorb impact, just put it straight into your arm
    c) braining your training partner.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast