Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 5:34pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gangs in the army

Ok, first of all, we have a gang problem where in Portugal, not a complete and overwhelming gang problem, but just enough to make headlines from time to time, in very specific parts of the country..mainly the two largest cities in the country.
    I personally know current and former gang members, and for the interess of this thread I even know a couple of them who joined the military and law enforcement, completly cutting their ties to their former gangs.

So I saw this clip on Youtube about gang members in the US army and other military branches and how they even get to receive special training in weapons, tactics and gain combat experience in urban settings in Iraq.

YouTube - Gang Bangers in the US Military Forces

So what I'm asking, to all the military bullies in here, if this so called "reality" plays as they say, or if it's nothing more then media bullshit. Are there gang activities in your countrie's military and to what extent? Are they really receiving training in the special forces? Do you think that knowledge will spill itself on to the streets when they come back from Iraq or Afganistan?

Sorry is this is the wrong forum or if it's already been done

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 5:46pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that this stuff is necessarily new. I went through basic back in 1992 and Im pretty sure some guys in my platoon were bangers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 5:55pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't mind me asking...but what is your military experience? And do you feel as if they maintained their afilliations in there? I say that because, because I see the military as an entity that brakes and rebuilds you to operate in a group mentality...sort of like a gang, but not as bad, of course.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 5:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first story as presented is given a rather mis-placed emphasis. 'Gang members' do not generally plan to engage in suicidal gunfights with the police. Did his military training merely make a clearly deranged person more dangerous or was it also the origin of whatever trauma detached him from reality? Thankfully Fox news doesn't feel the need to ask any questions about mental health or social care provision for military veterans.

And people throwing hand signs and/or dancing to gangster rap do not, as far as I know, necessarily indicate hardened killers chomping at the bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:11pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This 'dance floor' is full of GANG members flipping GANG signs to the beat of GANGSTER rap.

<3 fox news

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:15pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin View Post
    If you don't mind me asking...but what is your military experience? And do you feel as if they maintained their afilliations in there? I say that because, because I see the military as an entity that brakes and rebuilds you to operate in a group mentality...sort of like a gang, but not as bad, of course.
    I was an MP in the Army National Guard for 9 yrs. As such I went through the active Army OUST School at Ft. McClellan Al in 1992. While I wasn't active duty I got to go to Panama (back when..) and was activated for deployment to Bosnia/Herzegovina from 99-00.

I think that this issue you bring up can be looked at in two ways. Are we talking about gangs "in the military" (as in the 3rd ID having Blood and Crip sets in it) or gang members joining the military?
    Last edited by tgace; 9/28/2009 6:47pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, I can tell you this, I am currently serving with 16yrs of service, and yes there is a gang problem in the Military. They keep it low key, the military stance on gang affiliation is very low tolerance. If a soldier is found to be an active member they can be seperated from the Military. I know of alot of gangs that all just tolerate eachother while on active duty, but the younger ones coming in, dont care, they just want the training....... I know it is a sad day when the military standard has become so low to meet its needs, that gang bangers are easily enlisted. Now mind you, this is my 2 cents, no one elses.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I don't understand is why people want to stay in gangs after they join the military. You would think that after someone goes to a place like Iraq or Afghanistan and sees actual combat and other cultures, they would realize just how "gay" their stupid gang affectations are.

"HUR HUR HUR CAN I HAZ RESPEKKT NOW? I SELL METH AND SPRAY PAINT WALLSs, RESPEKKTTT!"
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL no. Gangster types are quickly weeded out. They are weak mentally and we certainly wouldn't give them any "special" training other than corrective. I'm sure there are a few hiding out here and there that still have some kind of gang affiliation but out of an Army numbering in the hundreds of thousands almost anyone can hide out. That clip is completely misleading.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 12:52am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprore View Post
    This 'dance floor' is full of GANG members flipping GANG signs to the beat of GANGSTER rap.

<3 fox news
    That was not a clip from the Fox News Channel.

It was a clip from a local news show that was aired on the Fox affiliate in Los Angeles (KTTV Fox 11).

This is atypical of the kind of clip seen in a local newscast. It took a significant amount of time to research, put together, and produce (with the intended emotional impact). Also unlike most local news clips, this is not particularly time-sensitive.

Like a local news clip, however, it has strong appeal to the local folks - considering the gang problems in Los Angeles.

This clip strikes me instead as sensationalism that was produced specifically for one of the ratings sweeps.
    Last edited by Sikaranista; 10/06/2009 12:56am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast