Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 5:54pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath
    Of course, sometimes the wankers get wanked, as in the case of the Sokal Hoax...
    Alan Sokal is my hero. He has mastered Intellectual Bitch Slap Fu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 6:49pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Concerning Comba-Tai:

I don't think Dr. Jones truly exsist.

Has anyone ever seen Dr. Alonzo M. Jones or one of his students?

How much does it cost to go to one of his schools?

What does Comba-Tai Stand for?

I think e-budo did a good job of proving that Comba-Tai did not exsist and could not have come from a 6,000 year old system in Africa. Perhaps people have made up this art and it's masters to push their own agenda. (money money money :car40: )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2005 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad the Comba-tai link at the beginning of the thread is dead; here are some Comba-tai tidbits I came across:

http://www.combatai.homestead.com/

http://www.shiaimagazine.com/

http://www.cafepress.com/combatai.24829775

Over on the E-Budo forum, someone purporting to be one of Dr. Alonzo M. Jones' students is talking about what a badass the Doctor is and how people on the forum should test their skills against the Doctor. From what I gather, Dr. Jones is based in Las Vegas. Now haven't there been some big Throwdowns in Vegas? How about the next time a Vegas Throwdown rolls around, someone down there get contact info for Dr. Jones and invite him to the Throwdown?
    I agree!!!

If there is a Dr. Jones; let's take some of our best and meet him at the Richard Steele GYM in Las Vegas. I see on e-budo that he might be located there. :fist:

Perhaps we could talk to him about his Comba-Tai :argue:
    Last edited by Mantis; 7/17/2005 11:44am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2005 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone see this garbage :new_shock

It can't be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :5headache

Dr. Alonzo M. Jones is a practitioner of an African based Martial art that had been carried to America by two of his great ancestors.

THE ORIGINS TOLD BY Dr. ALONZO M. JONES FOUNDER OF THE COMBATAI

Because the African Martial arts was devised in America and many of the African names for techniques lost in the passage of time; I called the cultural tradition handed down to me by my grandfather, Comba-Tai. I also became an instructor in several Asian forms of martial arts; many features of Comba-Tai are in fact African and Asian; hence we refer to it by the linguistic term Afro-Asiatic. I believe Afro-Asiatic best conveys the idea of monogenesis ( Afro-Asiatic language families exemplifies the human family’s common origin).

Comba-Tai has a unique history, in that it began when two Africans from the House of Shewa escaped to America during the dynastic feuds in Ethiopia in a time called the Era of the Princes (1769 - 1855), also called Zamana Masafent. They ended up in a maroon in Laurel Mississippi. American history tells us the maroons (especially in Laurel) were armed resistance movements of Africans, freedman, runaway slaves, fugitive abolitionist, Indians and eventually confederate deserters. In Laurel Mississippi the maroons made up an inner state that came to be known as the “Free State of Jones.” This anarchic community in Jones County formed a special core group, daring enough to raid plantations and determined to fight for the freedom of their families. I am a direct descendent of this grand struggle.

At the time Comba-Tai was passed on to me by my grandfather, it was mostly wrestling, boxing, joint locks, throws, stick fighting and very low kicks and sweeps. As I began to learn Asian forms of combat, I gradually combined high kicks, katas, complete ground grappling, and bladed weapons to our arsenal. The strength of Comba-Tai—as I see it—is its mental and spiritual insights. Certainly these insights were tempered by adversity experienced by a community of different races during the tumultuous antediluvian and American civil war period.

Today we have instructors from coast to coast and in 4 countries. Our diffusion of schools resulted from my military students and subsequently their students who were stationed in areas around the globe.

I began teaching Comba-Tai free of charge because I thought it was away to help youth see the greatness they had inside. To date, I have never charged for lessons because I believe my payoff would be a generation of warriors that would honor the American tradition of fighting for the freedom of all. The value of what I’ve passed on is best illustrated in the personal and professional accomplishments of my students in what is now called the World Combat Academy.

My vision for our organization is to give each youth regardless of race creed or color a positive image of their future through purpose, i.e., “To use the warrior greatness they have inside to be a blessing to everyone they meet.” This idea leaves no room for blaming someone else for your predicament in life, but it promotes the development of an entrepreneurial mentality. This tuff and determined philosophy breeds the notion, “If I cannot find a way, I will make one, but I will never surrender.” Perhaps we can say that Comba-Tai (The Grand Struggle) is an American tradition.

Dr. Alonzo M. Jones is working on a book entitled, “The Grand Struggle.” The Grand Struggle will illustrate the oral and written history of a unique American martial art of African descent.

INFO CONTACT

To have more information about combatai and Dr Alonzo M.Jones contact him at the following adress:

Dr. Alonzo M. Jones

Youth Programs Manager

Nevada Partners, Inc.

Office Phone: (702) 399-5627

Cell Phone: (702) 265-5635

"HELPING YOUTH PROGRESS AND EXCEL."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 8:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Comba-Tai

I interviewed Dr. Alonzo M. Jones. This is what he had to say about Comba-Tai.

He is the founder of Comba-Tai and one of three grandmasters of the system.

Grandmaster in Comba-Tai does not carry the same meaning of grandmaster in Asian systems. It's more like the leader of a order of Knights.

The system was founded on stories and techniques handed down to him by his grandfather.

He says that he has letters in a language called Amharic dated from around 1855 from his great, great, great grandfather, Ras Yakub.

He has schools from coast to coast and one of his schools is about 90 miles from where he claims his family arrived from Ethiopia. He claims they arrived in Jones County. The current Comba-Tai school near Jones county school is in Biloxi ... it probably no longer exists.

He claims that the fighting art of Comba-Tai is descendent form Ethiopian Knights and Indian hunters and white trappers that lived in the legendary "Free State of Jones."

He also says the name Ras (Highest Ethiopian title that can be bestowed upon one who is not in the royal family) exists as a first name by at least one descendents from Laurel Mississippi who has had it in his family since before the Civil War.

He claims that his lineage is unbroken, he showed me a listing of Egyptians Kings, Nubian Kings and Ethiopian Kings and priest that he traces to his grandfather and finally to him.

He demonstrated some of the "Old Ways" as he called it against one of his students. It looked really primitive, the goal of this system is to attack the eyes throat and groin. I wouldn't call this an art form, it's not even intelligent. Anyone can gauge to the eyes, throat and groin. Although I will say he seems really fast, but I don't think it's because he trained in a 6,000 year old system from Africa.

I noticed that his students were good, but they weren't practicing African Kung Fu; they were practicing, Boxing, Wrestling and Kempo Karate I think. I did some research and some of his students are world Champions.

In his defense, he does seem like a nice guy, I understand that he has never charged for lessons. He has also positively turned kids’ lives around who were in gangs and doing badly in school. Some of his students say that they could not afford uniforms and he purchased the uniforms for them. But they all say he has never charged them.

My conclusion is that Dr. Jones is an old deranged man when it comes to the history of Comba-Tai, but he is probably harmless. I think Comba-Tai is nothing more than an eclectic form of martial arts. However, he maintains from start to finish that Comba-Tai is, 6,000 years old.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 1:36pm

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good review Mantis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Kinzei,

I hope I didn't seem disrespectful; after all, it seems Dr. Jones has a lot of knowledge about Martial arts and is well respected by boxers and other martial artist for his training techniques. He is also really respected in the community; I just don't know why he insists on saying Comba-Tai is a 6,000 year old tradition. Perhaps like most African Kingships, he is confusing legend with fact.

Regardless; it is hard to ignore the positive impact he has on so many impoverished at risk youth; I guess this is his saving grace.

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 1:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is he based now? Does he have a current web site?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is he based now? Does he have a current web site?

He's at the Richard Steele Gym in Las Vegas. I can ask about his website.

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 9:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis
    I can ask about his website.
    The website he used to have (cited at the beginning of this thread) had a couple of other grandmasters listed as well and was quite extensive. It's a dead link now though, and I was wondering if there was some kind of falling out or something. I believe I've seen a very brief site somewhere, but nothing like he used to have.
Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123 45671353103 ... LastLast