Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Calgary, AB Canada : Energy Lake System of Martial Arts

OK....we all enjoy talking about Bullshido....so lets hear the comments for this school. Now these guys act like a cult, and they are pretty expensive, around $1000/year , and this was in 1993.....I'm not sure how much it is right now, but they charge by the year.
    They do a lot of forms, and some light sparring using animal forms.....
    oh and they call it system of martial arts because kung fu is a name......and they are not bound by any name.
    Check out the videos, and comment.
    I call it bullshido, but would like to see some differing opinions

http://energylake.ca/index.htm

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido please tell us why you feel it is bullshido.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:19am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sparring leaves a ton to be desired.

No combinations.
    Lunge Punches.
    One hit attacks.
    Many attacks just ripe for takedowns, sweeps, throws etc etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgesoros
    OK....we all enjoy talking about Bullshido....so lets hear the comments for this school. Now these guys act like a cult, and they are pretty expensive, around $1000/year , and this was in 1993.....I'm not sure how much it is right now, but they charge by the year.
    They do a lot of forms, and some light sparring using animal forms.....
    oh and they call it system of martial arts because kung fu is a name......and they are not bound by any name.
    Check out the videos, and comment.
    I call it bullshido, but would like to see some differing opinions

http://energylake.ca/index.htm
    A cult? What makes you say that? And what do you define as "expensive"? Brazilan Jiu Jitsu schools around hear are EASILY that expensive.

It's far from the worst I've seen.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:22am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    A cult? What makes you say that? And what do you define as "expensive"? Brazilan Jiu Jitsu schools around hear are EASILY that expensive.

It's far from the worst I've seen.
    It is close though did you look at the videos?

Anyway what he said. Level accusations we need stories and proof. I'll agree it looks like a typical TMA MCdojo with red flags of bullshido all over the place.

Tell us your story and why and maybe we will pick it apart.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/08/2007 11:31am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

Anyway what he said. Level accusations we need storeis and proof. I'll agree it looks like a typical TMA MCdojo with red flags of bullshido all over the place.

Unfortunately I missed the videos until just now...ok the sparring is pretty bad, no doubt but it's not nearly as bad as the Coda Scott video in this same thread.

The forms are...well, they're forms. :)

Still calling something a "cult" and saying that 1200 is expensive (BJJ is going to cost me a but more than that) is reaching a bit.

Then again tons of CMA "dojos" have the potential to a foster a cult mentality so the original poster may be onto something.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

Anyway what he said. Level accusations we need storeis and proof. I'll agree it looks like a typical TMA MCdojo with red flags of bullshido all over the place.

Hi, thanks for the welcome.....actually i don't go to the school(nor would i want to) so i guess its none of my business....But this site is bullshido right?..However i do know someone who went to the school for 4 years. If you look at the instructor, he studied 'kung fu' for 3 years before becoming an instructor.......I just don't think 3 years cuts it. Also, they have all these rainbow belt colours like tae kwon do. I dont' believe in forcing students to pay for the whole year....thats just me! Now, some would argue that since i dont go to their school, can i really comment? And thats a valid response, but looking at their videos and what they teach it looks bad. Black belt kata?
    As i said i know someone who went there, the guy that runs the place claims to be a renegade shaolin monk. They dont use a lot of contact either because the techniques are too deadly. Mention UFC, and they say too many rules.....i.e. no eye gouging.....
    Is it the worst one out there?....well probably not, but it looks pretty bad
    I mean if you teach WU shu, and call it wu shu ......something for exercise and performance art, thats fine......but if someone says wushu is for kicking ass well, you would have a hard time convincing me.......and yes energy lake claims to be about practical self defense.
    anyways gotta get back to work

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Unfortunately I missed the videos until just now...ok the sparring is pretty bad, no doubt but it's not nearly as bad as the Coda Scott video in this same thread.

The forms are...well, they're forms. :)

Still calling something a "cult" and saying that 1200 is expensive (BJJ is going to cost me a but more than that) is reaching a bit.

Then again tons of CMA "dojos" have the potential to a foster a cult mentality so the original poster may be onto something.
    Actually maybe I shouldnt have said 'cult' ....
    its just that i know this guy who went to the school for 4 years, and he seemed brainwashed completely......He thought he was a 'warrior' and ready to die....
    Now it may have nothing to do with the school, and just his disturbed mentality,
    so.....I could be wrong about that......one student doesnt necessarily reflect
    an entire school......
    but the videos sure look bad

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgesoros
    Actually maybe I shouldnt have said 'cult' ....
    its just that i know this guy who went to the school for 4 years, and he seemed brainwashed completely......He thought he was a 'warrior' and ready to die....
    Now it may have nothing to do with the school, and just his disturbed mentality,
    so.....I could be wrong about that......one student doesnt necessarily reflect
    an entire school......
    but the videos sure look bad
    Well your friend is clearly delusional, and schools like the one you posted do help to enable delusion.

It's just typical CMA garbage. I've just numbed myself to it over the years. Hell I have a guy at work here who is claiming he can stop a double-leg takedown by pinching the inside of my leg (he learned this "technique" from some Kung Fu school he's going to now). The guy also can't run a mile without gassing and is as skinny as a rail. I just nod in agreement and move on.

Hopefully you're friend will grow up and stop playing warrior with his Kung Fu friends. Then again, some people just want to be decieved by themselves and others.
    Last edited by HongKongFukYu; 6/08/2007 11:46am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boy this is getting to be a tired refrain.

Yes, this is the Bullshido website. No, you can't just post a website and say see bullshido tee hee ha ha.

We have had problems with vendettas.

Right now it looks like a McDojo questionable techniques, forms, no gear in sparring etc etc etc.

That in and of itself doesn't make it Bullshido.

Now if you do research (hint hint) the instructors claims are false, he has no Martial art training, has a bunch of false certificates (that can be proven), and is fleecing his students, then you can scream bullshido from the top of your lungs.

A Cursory glance shows a guy who started his own Martial Art that is a Mcdojo.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast