Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, judo, muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I had my first judo tourney this weekend...

My apology if this does not belong in YMAS

A little bit of my background: I've been doing judo for about a year and two months now, my current rank is yonkyu

So last saturday I went to my first judo tournament, it was a small tournament in north Ohio, my girlfriend have the videos of some of the matches recorded in her camera, I promise to upload here once I figure out how to upload it to my computer and post it on bullshido for everybody to laugh at...

I competed in 161 lbs weight class which only had the 3 people in it including me and one of my training partner, thankfully I didn't fight him in the first round, I was the shorthest guy in that division by the way, both of them is about 6'1-6'2 while I'm about 5'10.

Before the match, my coach told me to take the fight to the ground since I have better ne waza than tachi waza, which not saying a lot since my tachi waza is quite poor

So first round went like this: during the grip fighting I noticed that my opponent had stronger grips than me which gave me some trouble, he attempted some throws but couldn't finish any, when he attempted an osoto gari, for some reason I thought it was a good idea to counter with tani otoshi, the problem was I ended up rolling in my back and dragging him down, I ended up mounting him after tani otoshi, however the match was already over since the judges awarded him an ippon when I rolled on my back.

My first opponent then faced my training partner, neither could finish any throw and they ended up on the ground, once they were in the ground my first opponent pinned him for 25 seconds, so the match was over.

For my 2nd fight I had to face my training partner, since his legs are longer than mine he attempted ouchi/kouchi combo on me couple of times, however I already saw it coming since I faced him in randori multiple times, as he clinched tried to attempt an osoto gari I pulled guard for God knows why, I tried an arm bar, he pulled his arm out, reffere stood us up.
    As we clinch again I pulled him down and threw him with sumi gaeshi (MY THANKS TO MARK TRIPP WHO TAUGHT ME THIS THROW DURING HIS SEMINAR) and got an ippon.

The funny thing is I only managed to throw him one time with that throw during randori and he saw it coming after that, I guess competition can do weird things to you.

For my 3rd fight I have to face my first opponent, this time I made sure not to roll off my back everytime I tried my tani otoshi counter but to the side (the problem was this gave him a wazari which I didn't know about) I managed to got him to the ground but he ended up on top passing my guard, I then shrimped to the side and took his back, I only had one hook on and tried to work for a choke, the reffere stood us up after about 5 seconds of me working, which I was annoyed with but expected anyway. After that he threw me with an osoto gari again, I landed on my site trying to take his arm, the judges awarded him a 2nd wazari which won him the match. i ended up on the 2nd place (out of 3 people which is not saying much).

Overall it was fun, and I felt like I had good experience from the competition, I will definitely go to more competition now if I am given the chance to do so.

Couple of things that I learnt:

1. I need to be faster and more explosive when working in the ground
    2. Improve my tachi waza and actually apply things that I practiced (I spent a week practicing a kouchi-seio nage combo, which I did not attempt even once during shiai)
    3. Wear a gi with longer sleeve since one of the judges was annoyed because my sleeves did not go to my wrist (my coach also mentioned that they didn't like that I was wearing mouth piece, however I will continue doing this since I do not wish to lose any tooth)
    4. I need to be more familiar with Judo competition ruleset.

Highlight of the day:
    One of my senior won with one of his matches with a beautiful armbar, we recorded it on video too.

One thing that I found annoying while watching other people's matches was that people (especially advanced rank) kept falling on their face and stomach in order to avoid ippon, I think that they should implement a rule to discourage that since that it doesn't look like a good habit to have.

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 11:14am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by justheretolearn View Post
    One thing that I found annoying while watching other people's matches was that people (especially advanced rank) kept falling on their face and stomach in order to avoid ippon, I think that they should implement a rule to discourage that since that it doesn't look like a good habit to have.
    It's way better than having the match end right there. The problem isn't turning to avoid ippon, it's the goddamn stalling turtle.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to try and counter Tani Otoshi a number of times in a row, because your opponent could possibly catch on to your timing and utterly destroy you. It's kind of an easy counter to counter-counter, especially if you do it like most people and just plant your foot behind the guy and drag him backwards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 3:36pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why i only ever went to one tournament as a white belt in bjj.

If everyone at my gym can kick my ass, why do i need to get my ass kicked by people outside my gym?

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats to the OP. Tournaments are hard but great. Try to leverage the lessons from it, and good luck with your next one.

FYI: Post-1st-Judo-Tournament (Loss) Deconstruction - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe should've waited a bit before competing.. unless of course its not going down on your record

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't wait to compete, do it early and often. It's not like the record matters, the point is to get the experience in.

I also had a tourney this weekend, and while it wasn't my first, it was definitely the first in a long time (and like, third overall?). Getting your butt kicked in competition is good for you.

1.2, awesome post. I wish there was a way to favorite stuff like that.

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 9:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Maybe should've waited a bit before competing.. unless of course its not going down on your record
    Conde Koma is right, and not just about my awesome post:

Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Don't wait to compete, do it early and often. It's not like the record matters, the point is to get the experience in.

I also had a tourney this weekend, and while it wasn't my first, it was definitely the first in a long time (and like, third overall?). Getting your butt kicked in competition is good for you.
    Judo competition isn't recorded in win-loss numbers almost ever. It's counted by points (towards national rosters) and placing 1st/2nd/3rd. Other than that it's just good to win. Worst that happens is you lose twice and hopefully get a bite to eat with the team. Even then, you learn good lessons that help you progress.

The prevalent traditional thought about judo competition is that everyone should compete at least once. For people who like it, it's good to do it early. For people who want to be recreational players, it's important to see just what a tournament is like--the level of competition, the intensity, etc. Who knows, maybe they'll be surprised and like it.

CK: thanks for the praise. Kudos for getting back in there. For me, it's hard to compete, but after I do it I'm glad.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 10:34pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to hear you've had your first competition. I should probably start up Judo competitions as well.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds fun! i'm gonna start judo comps when i get my yellow or orange belt in a few months.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 11:37pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The plural of tooth is teeth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast