Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 3:10pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo Chris View Post
    Kempo and Kajukenbo are supposed to be evolving arts that uses what works best. The schools that get stuck in the whole my instructors instructor taught this technique BS are doomed to fail. A good kempo/kaj school should go, you know what those Brazilians have a good ground game let me study and add it in. Those muay thai guys have good clinch work let me add it in.
    A good kempo/kaj school will keep adding new things and removing those that do not work. There are many good kempo/kaj schools and conversely there are many bad ones.
    I totally agree. The school I attended started incorporating ground work in the late 90's with Semiars by Gokor Chivichyan.

Kenpo schools do vary quite a bit, and within a school from student to student. While there was a core of us that did full contact kick-boxing and it was understood that black and browns hit each other during technique practice, there were those who just slapped and patted there way through techniques and only engaged in light sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2010 11:19am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I take SKK (based loosely around Villari's stuff, please don't flame me yet) hopefully I can provide some incite since it's not that different from AK...

Yes, there are lots of combinations, kempos and SDT's taught but an IMPORTANT part of all of them is the application that comes during contact sparring each week (or during the dedicated grappling classes). If you can't USE what you are practicing then it's useless to you.

If you go into a school and are seeing sparring that looks like a bunch of half-hearted side kicks and slaps for points from the higher ranking guys/girls then you might need to be suspect. I know that last night I spent a solid hour trying to get the distance and speed correct on multiple partners for just TWO combinations/kempos I have had for a while now...it teaches you to look for opportunities to actually apply all the theory that you hear about from most of these types of schools.

I suggest you take a training class and at least observe a sparring/grappling class or two before making a decision.

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 6:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    "Ed Parker had to leave Hawaii because here he was just another idiot."
    He was a native of Honolulu, Hawaii and a graduate of Kamehameha High School. In 1956 Grand Master Parker graduated from Brigham Young University (BYU) with a B.S. in Psychology. As grand Master Parker learned Karate in Hawaii, he realized the need for new innovations to combat modern day methods of fighting. To fulfill this need, he developed revolutionary concepts, theories, and principles that are practical - not classical. Because of this, his innovative concepts and ideas have greatly enhanced the Martial Arts in the United States and throughout the world. After graduation from BYU, Grand Master Parker moved to California and opened his second school in Pasadena

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 6:55pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ed Parker's Kenpo wasn't really his invention; Chow developed it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 7:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoKnight View Post
    He was a native of Honolulu, Hawaii and a graduate of Kamehameha High School. In 1956 Grand Master Parker graduated from Brigham Young University (BYU) with a B.S. in Psychology. As grand Master Parker learned Karate in Hawaii, he realized the need for new innovations to combat modern day methods of fighting. To fulfill this need, he developed revolutionary concepts, theories, and principles that are practical - not classical. Because of this, his innovative concepts and ideas have greatly enhanced the Martial Arts in the United States and throughout the world. After graduation from BYU, Grand Master Parker moved to California and opened his second school in Pasadena
    Do us all a favor and don't bump threads with plagiarism unless, you are the original author and can provide verifiable proof.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 12:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am "Old School" kaju and we still spar/fight with no equip, no foot hand or head pads, including with 2 or 3 on one, including take downs to learn to get up again... if you look you will still find kaju schools that do this... we also fight With equip when we are working "Sport Combat" arts...kaju is diverse....
    On another note, some one mentioned about defense techiques against someone just standing there... A drill we do is... EVERY defense we do, we try and complete at least the concept of the technique while sparring/fighting against a thinking, moving target, that wants to hit you back... we found in a hurry which were just "curriculum" that had to be learned, and what we could depend on to work in a stressed situation...

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the heck is going on in here!?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No clue, but where have you been?!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    No clue, but where have you been?!
    Busy busy. Lost interest with the internet outside of facebook for a while, but figured I'd check in and see if all is still well in the romper room known as Bullshido.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You missed the gong sau I hosted, I am hurt.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast