Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 11:43am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe what? While your mileage may vary school to school, overall Kaju has a well-deserved reputation of hitting hard and being pretty practical.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 10:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The amount of the "too deadly for sparring" bullshit being advocated by some posters here is intolerable by Bullshido standards.

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah gotcha. I concur; 95% of what a martial arts teaches should be able to be utilized in sparring, and about 99% of it can be with small tweaks (a throat punch or eye gouge is just a jab to a different target).

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 10:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Yeah, techniques like "punch a guy", "Kick a guy" and "move out of the way".
    Pushups, just so you know they're dive bombers.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Pushups, just so you know they're dive bombers.
    Those are my favorite push up type

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained Kajukenbo & Kali for a number of years. Made it to purple belt after 4 years or so. I have total respect for good Kaju practitioners and it was a very important part of my life. Here's my two-cents based solely on my experience:

I feel like the Kaju training has been watered down. It's not as tough as it used to be. It was originally developed for real-world-take-dude-out type situations and the founders used to train this way, "Practice wasn't over until there was blood on the floor." Emperado was a scary man back in the day.

This is no longer the case, at least in my experience. While we learned great technique, using angles of attack and some good solid street skills, it was always sort of "pussyfied" for lack of a better term. No real hard shots, blah, blah. This goes against Kaju's original idea that if you didn't know what it was like to get hit hard then you would be screwed on the street...and guess what, you will. I dunno, sometimes we went pretty hard but most of the time...meh.

The other thing is if you are a Kaju guy and you get taken down you are screwed. Period. Kaju had great throws (taken from Judo) but virtually no ground game and no take down defense. We were always told "don't go to the ground". Well, yeah but eventually you WILL go to the ground then what? You AT LEAST need to know how to get back up or stuff the shot.

Kajukenbo has great aspects to it but it needs to start looking back to its roots and become a living art again.

After tiring of the B.S. politics of my school/kwoon or whatever you want to call it, I left. I've since been training in BJJ Gi/No-Gi and Muay Thai. I now have a ground game. I still use skills I learned in Kaju but have added new tools. Use the stuff that actually works and toss out the crap. This was the original foundation of Kaju.

So to you I say Kaju is worthwhile, just find a school that works for you. Use the good stuff and toss out the watered down knife-hand to throat monkey fist garbage. The good Kaju players are tough as nails. There are different branches of Kaju that emphasize different aspects; Kenpo (original hard style), Chuan Fa, Tum Pai and Won Hop Kuen Do.

Like anything, quality of instruction depends on quality of instructor. Real Kaju is no joke.

Keep in mind this is solely based on my experience and my particular school. I was a part of the Chuan Fa branch.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to re-iterate that Kaju schools can be quite different. I run a Wun Hop Kuen Do skill, and while I was training in the art under GM Dacascos, we definitely learned takedown defense (sprawls) as early as white belts, and their was definitely hard contact being dished out all over the place.

At my school, we also teach submission wrestling, and my students have a competent ground game.

Go to a school and check it out, as each instructor is different. The art is a big one, but you can at least be confident going in that most Kaju schools have a mix of striking and grappling. Their training methodology and skills may vary in the particulars, but generally speaking, it is one of the few arts that has a blend from the ground up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    I have to re-iterate that Kaju schools can be quite different.
    Absolutely. That's why I wanted to be very clear about that just being my experience at my school. I have total respect for Kajukenbo, it's a well rounded no B.S. art. Even my school was very good, it just had its limitations like anything else.

It's also been over 12 years since I've trained in Kaju so...keep that in mind as well.

I'm glad to hear the ground game is being taught. When I trained it was a huge hole.

Like I said, Kajukenbo folks are tough. You earn your belts and are put through the grinder.

My pops trained Tum Pai under Jon Loren in the 70s and would tell me stories about training with Dacascos.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2010 10:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: white dragon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in a real fight though you are not going to use a whole technique y7ou will use one part of a certain technique then when he falls or you miss or he back peddles etc.. you need to change your attack to fit the scenario like a mechanic will use different tools to finish a job and not just a wrench. i have never heard a guy say hey! i just used flying zebra to take a guy out. he might use a parry from onre technique then a kick from another, and a finishingtechnique that ight not even be in your system a fight is fluid and you need to change with the reactions

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 6:57pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kempo and Kajukenbo are supposed to be evolving arts that uses what works best. The schools that get stuck in the whole my instructors instructor taught this technique BS are doomed to fail. A good kempo/kaj school should go, you know what those Brazilians have a good ground game let me study and add it in. Those muay thai guys have good clinch work let me add it in.
    A good kempo/kaj school will keep adding new things and removing those that do not work. There are many good kempo/kaj schools and conversely there are many bad ones.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast