Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 2:22pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taylor's Tae Kwon Do and Tumbling

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I was on Bullshido but a while ago I used to be a pretty frequent lurker and occasional poster on the website unfortunately along with falling off of the Bullshido bandwagon and thanks to my last teacher's time being taken up with his new job as a cop his class had unfortunately shut down.

Well, that would be the preface to this today however, I found out a martial arts class is picking up literally within walking distance from my house. The school purports to teach, among other things, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Cardio Kickboxing as well as a few other random things.

So, I guess what I'm inquiring is what the general reputation on Hapkido is and impressions you may have of the teacher based on his website http://taylorstnt.com/

The school is conveniently located but I'd like to make sure I'm getting something for my money.

A few bullet points on Mr. James Taylor
    -2000, went to Korea to train with master Sun Seo, whom he describes as 'The highest ranked martial artist in Korea'
    -2001, inducted into the World Head of Family Sokeship Hall of Fame in Orlando, Florida.
    -2007, went to Las Vegas to participate in the martial arts super show
    -currently training at the Philippine Martial Arts Institute in Arnis/Kali under the instruction of Pungong Guro Tony Marcial in Cleveland, OH; and also in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido with Sr. Master Randy J. Lundberg in Lansing, MI.

Thanks for the help/opinions/advice.

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like great acrobatics. You'll probably get really good at demonstrations, flexibility, kicking air, and maybe compliant wristy-twisty stuff. The sparring rules are probably next to useless.

Doesn't look like it'll teach you how to fight.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I will admit what little I know about Hapkido doesn't really impress me...but I still keep in contact with one of my friends from the old school, I'm basically banking on the idea that frequently sparring with him should help me trim away the pointless stuff and turn it into something decent.

Still, the Sokeship Hall of fame makes me nervous, and he claims to have been teaching since sometime in the late seventies (I believe '78 or '79) as a red belt. Well...helping his instructor teach at least.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 3:24pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This smells strongly of BS.

However, I will say that there were some decent schools in existence back in the 70's and 80's, even late 90's. My dad's first two TKD schools did hard continuous sparring as well as point sparring. Homeslice Taylor *might* be a product of that type of school and run his likewise, or more than likely he may not.

Read the Bullshido FAQ, then go visit to see for yourself, and ask the right questions. You'll definitely know if you hear or see something that sets off your BS detector.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is the plan, Whacker. Like I said, it's been a while since I was on Bullshido and I just wanted to get some initial opinions to make sure my Bull-dar still functions. I'll probably check out the school Monday or Wednesday and give a write up.

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 4:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going to a school that trains compliantly and teaches a lot of extraneous stuff, then sparring with a buddy occasionally, will make you only marginally skilled.

Trust me.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well damn. Then here's hoping it's a pretty good school, eh?

Though I guess we've probably exhausted the information we can get from their website...

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't see BS with that school. looks like typical strip mall tkd/krotty school. probably better off training somewhere else, but if you like this stuff.....
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 8:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well gentlemen, I had my first session at Taylor's location in my town.

I'll start with the simple stuff: Pricing.
    $90.00 a session, each session is approximately 7-8 weeks long, with a week break between them. Considering the classes I'd be taking are only an hour long and twice a week (so two hours a week 14 hours of training for $90)

Although he does offer DVDs at various belt levels for students to study from between classes (If this is a plus or minus, I'm not certain which) I am also uncertain if these are provided free of charge (I don't think so though)

Before I go into the training, there were about eight other students four black belts ranging from probably a little younger than me up to a few guys in about their 40's (Mr. Taylor himself looking to be about his 40's as well, maybe a bit older) with one student each at white, yellow, blue, green, and red belts.

The lesson itself went well though, we worked on some basic kicks (A couple variations of front kicks and a roundhouse) before transitioning to the students practicing amongst themselves with the higher belts. Two were towards the back practicing escrima/kali. Given my own experience with the stuff is minimal at best, I couldn't offer any kind of critique.

Mr. Taylor himself ran over more of the basic with me, explaining concepts and some of the basics, block, double punch, etc. Basic Tae Kwon Do. His attention to detail gave the impression that he was a good teacher, friendly, and seemed to be in good shape. Given the short and rushed nature of the class there wasn't any sparring tonight...though the curriculum did mention 'Free Sparring'.

I inquired about what organizations he may be associated with and it appears he's set up his own group The 'Traditional Tae Kwon Do Federation' of which he is president, and apparently there is an affiliation with his Hapkido teacher's 'Defensive Hapkido Association'.

If there are actual questions from any of you, I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

I will say this: While it was fun, I don't think I want to spend $90+ for the amount of training involved. There IS a place in a nearby city with much harder training and only an incrementally higher price.

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 9:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should look for something else. But that really depends on what you're looking for.

Like WK said, if you want strip mall karate, go for it. Be wary of hidden fees (DVDs, belts, testings, black belt clubs, long-term contracts, etc).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast