Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 5:51pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Soke Cary Nemeroff & Fukasa Ryu

I was just given a book entitled "Mastering the Samurai Sword", written by Soke Cary Nemeroff and published by Tuttle. I looked through the book and watched the attached DVD and started questioning who this author is and what his history is. From what I can find thus far on his website is that he claims to be a 10th Dan in kenjutsu and in Aiki Jujutsu. He teaches in Manhatten at the Jewish Community Center. I looked at several YouTube videos of one of his demonstrations and came away asking WTF? Thus far, I haven't found anything concerning his lineage or credentials and I've used the search function here. Who is this guy who will give you nine classes for $ 160.00? Anyone know him?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 9:43pm

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a 10th dan in kenjutsu is roughly equivalent to saying you're a 10th dan in unarmed fighting, kenjutsu is a catch-all term that is meaningless with out a specific style mentioned.

I've not heard anything specific about this particular individual, but I briefly checked amazon regarding the book you mentioned. The fact that several aspects of the cover photos are incorrect when viewed from traditional styles, and also showing iaido rather than kenjutsu, this does not bode well. Feel free to link any pics or screencaps and I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than I will be able to help you out further

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 10:36pm

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got bored so I went to see what I could find of this guy on youtube. This horrible travesty is the first thing I found:

YouTube - Cary Nemeroff Samurai Demostration at Kinokuniya Part 01

The man can't even correctly pronounce the arts he's pretending to practice, let alone perform techniques from them. Given the above video, there's no evidence there that he's ever even attended an iaido/kenjutsu lesson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 12:19am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was the same crap I saw on YouTube. He also claims a 10th Dan in aiki jujutsu. Of the tachi waza on the video, I would rate him about 5th kyu in a traditional aikido dojo. The DVD attached to his book is horrid as well. When he cleans his sword on the sword cleaning segment, he runs what appears to be a soiled rice paper up and down the blade, rather than cleaning towards the kissaki with a clean paper. The only weapons work that I'm experienced in is aiki ken and aiki jo, so I'm no expert on kenjutsu of any lineage, but his movement and strikes appear terrible to me. His yokomenuchi strike on the DVD is literally a horizontal cut, parallel with the ground and his shomenuchi drops to the left side from chudan no gamae, swings up his left side and then the downward strike. Maybe someone who knows the sword can comment, but I've never seen strikes like that - at least with those names.

Reading between the lines at his website, I think his rank is self-awarded in kenjutsu, aiki jujutsu and karate. I've never heard of a legitimate triple tenth dan and certainly not one of his apparent age. Maybe I'm full of crap - that's why I turn to Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 8:13am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I am by far no expert in Kenjutsu(not even a noob), this guy is completely nuts to think himself anything but a fraud. I have seen many solid Kenjutsu demonstrations and this looks like a day 1 beginner who has been watching Highlander and decided to be a sword master. His control over his weapon and his body are horrible at best.

So, now that we have seen some evidence of this idiot, I will contact him for you all.

Mr. Nemeroff,

I am contacting you in regards to your style and your training. I have been on your website and I saw one of your videos on youtube, but I could not find anything on who your teachers are/were in the various arts you train in/teach. Can you help me out with who you have trained with and who awarded your rank? I would also be intersted in which styles you have trained in prior to your forming your own style. I am very interested in this information.

Thank you,
    (name removed)
    Above is also my message to him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 12:04pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soke! Why do these wanna-be samurai always choose “Soke”?

As bad as it was – the reality is Nemeroff’s performance is on par with many you would observe in your typical “Weapons Competitions” at the local American Kurrottee Tournament – except there would be more screaming and it would be set to blaring cheerleading-type music.

Where flashy motions and sword twirling outrank any pretext of what the hell you are supposed to be demonstrating… Japanese Swordsmanship.

As an antidote to that visual indigestion try watching this nicely edited video.

Oh wait - these swordsmen only have mere 8th dan ranking within Muso Shinden Ryu - so Soke N. must better with his 10th dan!
    :eusa_thin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Soke! Why do these wanna-be samurai always choose “Soke”?
    Because they want to sound cool when they show up at D&D LARPs andto all of their friends.

As bad as it was – the reality is Nemeroff’s performance is on par with many you would observe in your typical “Weapons Competitions” at the local American Kurrottee Tournament – except there would be more screaming and it would be set to blaring cheerleading-type music.

Where flashy motions and sword twirling outrank any pretext of what the hell you are supposed to be demonstrating… Japanese Swordsmanship.

As someone who USED to compete in those types of competitions, let me tell you a little something. You are being way to nice to the ones who compete. The louder and more stupid the techniques look , the higher the score. How retarded is that?

Mods please feel free to delete this post as it really has nothing to do with the discussion of the liar and LARPer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 2:26pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Mods please feel free to delete this post as it really has nothing to do with the discussion of the liar and LARPer.
    It isn’t?

I mean you want me to provide more technical opinions?

As in - the last technique Nemeroff performs during this demo, ~09:00, appears to be “his interpretation” of the Muso Shinden Ryu technique “Batto” and that is the only one I could voice an opinion as to what classical form he was trying to mimic.

What purpose (an opponent?) is that downward stab at ~5:30 meant for?

Or just critique his overall drawing and cutting basics which I find to be unique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 5:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It isn’t?

I mean you want me to provide more technical opinions?

I was not in reference to you, I was referring to MY post.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 6:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju-Ryu/Bjj (White Belt)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is just hilarious that no one in the audience shuts up to even listen to this douche!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast