Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 2:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My 1911 from Vickers 1911 Pistolsmithing Class

Well, I completed this class almost a year ago and have been waiting to get set up to finish handguns prior to finishing this one off. I really wanted to do absolutely everything to this pistol myself.
    So a couple of nights ago I got my blast cabinet up and running. After blasting the pistol I parkerized it with manganese parkerizing solution. Now for everything leading up to that point.
    As I said I built this pistol during the class, since the class I have put a couple thousand rounds through it and it has run like a sewing machine. I had little doubt as most of Larry’s class focuses on making a 1911 that will run and keep on running
    Again because I wanted to do everything that I could to this pistol, I hand checkered the frontstrap myself. I also wanted to use this as a learning experience.
    It was definitely a learning experience. I learned that I will be sending all of the frames that I work on from here on out to Pete Single. It was about six months ago when I checkered it and I think my arm is still hurting!
    Besides the frontstrap and Larry’s reliability modifications, this pistol sports a USGI National Math Barrel and bushing that I hard fit after the class. The Kart barrel that I fit during the class was fine and worked a 100% however, when the opportunity came up for the GI barrel, I really wanted to fit that one.
    Vickers Tactical Hammer, Sear and Disconnector
    Ed Brown Grip Safety
    Ed Brown Tactical Thumb Safety
    Smith and Alexander Mag Guide
    10-8 Trigger
    10-8 Rear Sight
    10-8 Pin Set
    10-8 Plunger Tube
    10-8 Slide Stop
    10-8 Magazine Release
    Novak Front Sight
    Strider Gunner Grips
    Rear of slide hand serrated 40 LPI

All in all it was a fantastic class and I was very happy with the results.

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 2:15pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice. Glad you enjoyed the course! I wouldn't mind taking one myself someday.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imagine what you could've learned had you taken a pistol class that centered on a relevant, modern handgun, instead of some re-invented, 100 year old relic? Building your own Sig or HK...wow, man what a rush! Well...you're more than welcome to come over anytime, wipe off gobs of cosmoline and work on my relics anyday! :new_usa:

Just kidding, man....hope that gun works out for you and congrats on working on it yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Imagine what you could've learned had you taken a pistol class that centered on a relevant, modern handgun, instead of some re-invented, 100 year old relic? Building your own Sig or HK...wow, man what a rush! Well...you're more than welcome to come over anytime, wipe off gobs of cosmoline and work on my relics anyday! :new_usa:

Just kidding, man....hope that gun works out for you and congrats on working on it yourself.
    Spoken like someone who has had to defend the 1911 to someone that said, "my HK can do anything that 1911 can do. only cheaper" (in some cases.)

I will be the first to admit the 1911 is not for everyone. You really have to be an enthusiast to get the most out of this pistol.

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 2:59pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post

Not everybody is willing to settle for second rate trigger quality and ergonomics for the sake of hi-cap like you, buddy. :pottytrai

I'm not picky. I love 1911s, I love SIGS, and I love Glocks. Those are my top 3. H&Ks I don't like quite as much. My USP CT was problematic out of the box. I only really like their rifles and the P7, which they don't make anymore... Bastards...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 9:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Not everybody is willing to settle for second rate trigger quality and ergonomics for the sake of hi-cap like you, buddy. :pottytrai

I'm not picky. I love 1911s, I love SIGS, and I love Glocks. Those are my top 3. H&Ks I don't like quite as much. My USP CT was problematic out of the box. I only really like their rifles and the P7, which they don't make anymore... Bastards...

LOL C'mon...no need to re-hash the ages old debate on that old relic. =)
    People like the thing (the 1911)...well, most people do because of the single action trigger pull. But, in all fairness...if you were to walk around with a cocked, double-action pistol or revolver, you'd find that their trigger pulls are nearly equally awesome in single-action mode. Hell, the aforementioned HK USP Tactical that I have has the option to carry it around "Cocked and Locked" with sort of the same "sweep down" safety removal [adding a decocker] as you'd have if you developed the muscle-memory to shoot the 1911 under stress. And you can't deny the awesomeness of the USP Tactical's trigger job.

1911's (IMHO) are great little plinkers, but I have yet to see one (from a Caspian to a Springfield) that operates with the reliability of a modern, SA/DA pistol....so much that I'd want to risk my life on it. Much like a hot-rod car or your house...or your paintball gun, 1911 pistols are gigantic black holes for money. There's always 3-4 more accessories that you can get for it and you're always fiddle-fucking around with the thing...whether it's "tuning" your extractor or messing around with it's internals/changing springs and buffers. Some people enjoy spending their time working on their own stuff, reloading their own custom ammo to match their guns, and get a great sense of pride for doing so. Good for them.

Because in the end....it's what you like and what you like spending your time doing...not what some anonymous asshole on the Internet (like me) tells you. :icon_smur

Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    . I only really like their rifles and the P7, which they don't make anymore... Bastards...
    Being the proud papa of a number of P7's I can echo this sentiment. The P7 is literally the fastest shooting, fastest reloading gun on the planet. I can't count the number of shooting matches (IPSC, IDPA, and tactical shoots) that I've won with those things. I still carry a P7M13 as my primary when I work for the feds or anything when I'm not in uniform. I too like their rifles...I've got a 91/G3, 93/33, G36/SL8 conversion, and an MP5-N. I'm a big fan of their long guns...sadly, HK is just realizing the huge amount of money that they have lost by not catering to the US market...and I think very soon will be offering their version of the M4 to the American market at about 3-4 times the cost of their nearest competitor (in true HK fashion, of course!).
    Last edited by Lord Skeletor; 9/27/2009 10:03am at .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I thought that 1911s were famous for reliability.

My 1911 seems to be a bit less reliable than my Ruger P97DC, but I attribute that to the fact I got it used. (I got the Ruger used as well and it had reliability issues until I replaced the extractor. Since then I haven't seen a single malfunction on the Ruger.)
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 6:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Hey, I thought that 1911s were famous for reliability.

My 1911 seems to be a bit less reliable than my Ruger P97DC, but I attribute that to the fact I got it used. (I got the Ruger used as well and it had reliability issues until I replaced the extractor. Since then I haven't seen a single malfunction on the Ruger.)

Famous for their reliability? LOL C'mon man....don't start that ball rolling. It'll never stop! I mean NEVER! :5censored

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I am a huge fan of the 1911, however, I know it's limitations. I carry one everyday and I stake my life on it, however, I know what I have to do in order to make it run and to keep it running. Like Ken Hackathorn said, if you maintain your gun like you do your lawnmower, the 1911 is not for you.

The 1911 is an enthusiast pistol, you have to want to carry it and do what it takes to maintain it in order to make it run reliabily enough to stake your life on.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I just read that whereas the original military 1911 was built to loose tolerances and was very reliable, that modern ones are built to be "match grade" and therefore are more finnickey. True?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast