Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 8:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Herschell Walker????

He's 47 and just signed with Strikeforce. Can he get a license to fight with a diagnosis of multiple personality disorder? Something about this bothers me. I know it shouldn't but it does. He made a statement that he would play college ball on Saturdays and then go to fight in TKD tournaments AFTER CHURCH on Sundays. Anyone besides me see the problems with this statement?
    He's probably spent all his money and can't get a Burger King commercial.
    It's really not Herschell, per se, it's the idea of steroid junkies from WWE and washed up basketball and football players thinking that MMA can be their retirement job. In the same article Shaq is reported to be training for MMA.
    I respect the hell out of anyone who steps into the ring or cage in any kind of fight game but I know that these former stars will get special treatment that they have been getting all their lives. I think their initial fights should be with opponents of substantial caliber and not with cannon fodder opponents. Another issue I have with them is that whenever a Herschell Walker type is in a match making money there is a guy whose first love is MMA who isn't in the cage making money.
    I know there are a lot of holes in my position and I can argue against what I've said on an intellectual level, but my gut feeling about it is where I'm coming from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 9:07am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHenry View Post
    I know that these former stars will get special treatment that they have been getting all their lives. I think their initial fights should be with opponents of substantial caliber and not with cannon fodder opponents.
    Erm..

If your first opponent is someone of substantial caliber then I'm pretty sure that would constitute getting 'special treatment'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 12:33am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHenry View Post
    Another issue I have with them is that whenever a Herschell Walker type is in a match making money there is a guy whose first love is MMA who isn't in the cage making money.
    You mean a top level athlete with an established fan base versus an avid MMA "Practitioner" with dreams of guts and glory?.......:5football

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I look forward to him appearing on Season 14 of TUF along with Gene Lebell, Butterbean, and The Undertaker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 12:53am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "it's the idea of steroid junkies from WWE and washed up basketball and football players thinking that MMA can be their retirement job"

- Im confused......what do you mean steroid junkies?..............

Erm.............