Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 5:45pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if you find a school that goes out and competes often enough, you shouldn't be led astray.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 5:48pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    that competition should be in full contact and not point fighting tag. this issue gets overlooked often so i thought i should point it out.

the place might compete every month but if it's not full contact than i wouldn't put a lot of weight in their training.

it's fine if they *also* compete in point fighting (kids or beginners) but the seniors should be fighting full contact sanda or lei tai.
    True.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 6:04pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Also, dont mistake aliveness for roughness, aliveness doesnt have to be rough, but a lot of clubs train very rough, but still compliantly.

You seem to be leaning towards striking arts primarily, so muay thai or similar might be a good idea to check into.
    That's very true. When I was doing Chun the training was 100% compliant yet you could strike relatively hard. This sounds quite brutal and looked and felt pretty badass at the time... but it's not, no way, it's pointless and was a waste of time. It makes the senior feel tough and the junior like a chump so it does favours to no one except the guy that takes the tution fees.

Muay Thai is a great suggestion (or boxing, off the bat), striking wise, cuts the bullshit for all involved.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 6:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whereabouts are you? Might well be able to recommend some gyms for you to try out. If you're anywhere near Leicester then Leicester Shootfighters are generally very highly regarded: http://leicestermma.wordpress.com/ , for example.

MMA properly means competition under a rule-set that allows both grappling and striking and schools that put fighters into such competitions. It's hijacking to mean any old crap people care to cobble together is an unfortunate and recent marketing phenomenon.

Your notion that 'un-watered down' traditional styles are necessarily the most effective is false, I'm afraid. The most effective systems are generally those which have evolved and continue to evolve, just as in other areas of human endeavour like medicine.

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 3:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Herefordshire - 2 hour drive to Leicester, although if it's a good school i'd be willing, assuming I could fit a good amount of training into my schedule with the large travelling time. I'll check them out, thanks.

I wasn't necessarily saying learning a traditional style is the most effective (unless I did say that, in which case please don't embarress me and quote that! :P) - I partly want to because of the way my mind works. I can learn things very quickly and efficiently when I have one thing to focus on, and also tend to enjoy a single focus, but when several are thrown in, I get easily confused. It's mainly making up for my own failing. I use 'watered down' as a broad term, not meaning simplified to make more effective, but simplified to be easier to learn, sacrificing quality.

I also want to learn a traditional art because I was fed a lot of crap by the Bushido academy of martial arts that went against traditional arts.. and saying its all bollocks etc. etc. and I want to get an opposite view of their bastardised Karate.

Thanks for the clarification on what MMA means. I've definately never done MMA!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 4:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by opeterson View Post
    I'm in Herefordshire - 2 hour drive to Leicester, although if it's a good school i'd be willing, assuming I could fit a good amount of training into my schedule with the large travelling time. I'll check them out, thanks.
    In that case I'd give these guys a try: http://www.thecombatacademy.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 4:27am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by opeterson View Post
    I wasn't necessarily saying learning a traditional style is the most effective (unless I did say that, in which case please don't embarress me and quote that! :P) - I partly want to because of the way my mind works. I can learn things very quickly and efficiently when I have one thing to focus on, and also tend to enjoy a single focus, but when several are thrown in, I get easily confused. It's mainly making up for my own failing. I use 'watered down' as a broad term, not meaning simplified to make more effective, but simplified to be easier to learn, sacrificing quality.

I also want to learn a traditional art because I was fed a lot of crap by the Bushido academy of martial arts that went against traditional arts.. and saying its all bollocks etc. etc. and I want to get an opposite view of their bastardised Karate.
    Judo would work well with your way of learning, also depending on the instructor of course. It's traditional AND alive (and great fun), meaning that it works, but it also carries values and principles which are good food for tought, without them being a brainwashing exercise (as I've seen in some silly Karate schools). No striking in judo though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 1:44pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite impressive, that one link

Dave Taylor Qualifications.

Wing Chun Street fighting Black Belt Level

Wing Chun Kung Fu Black Belt 3rd Degree

Wing Chun Tong Black Belt

Ba Gua Kung Fu Black Belt

Hsing-I Kung Fu Black Belt

Wing Chun Dynamics Founder & Master Level

Chen Jin Iron Shirt Only UK Instructor (Master)

Silver Medal Gau Sau Fighting
    Midlands open 1993

British Forms Champion 2001

European Forms Champion 2002

International Bodyguard Union Instructor

Evasive Driving Qualified

SAS C&R Hereford Instructor

World Board of Black belts Member

Hall Of Fame Dedication to Martial Arts

World United Martial Arts Examiner

International Bodyguard Union
    Control & Restraint Qualified

Chauffeur & Bodyguard Active

British Chinese Council
    Of Martial Arts Member

Therapeutic Massage Qualified

First Aid
    Contact Sports, Security &
    Client Safety Qualified

International Occupational Health Grade A Instructor & Examiner

The UK School of Self Defence Director

World Record Holder Breaking Chopsticks on Throat

British Heavyweight Full Contact
    Contender Trainer

CRB Teacher Checked

CRB Security Checked

NVQ Level 3 teaching Qualified

Level 2 in Door Supervision Qualified
    Not that I could argue with anything, but isn't black belt more of a japanese martial art thing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 2:04pm

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alot of this is just fodder for the website to attract students. Much of it is the same thing repeated differently. Associations, federations, Hall of Fame's etc are organizations that provide an image of credibility. These are used by alot of commercial (meaning open to the public and proffessional as opposed to a club or basementgym) schools to boost credibility to outsiders checking the place out. It does not mean the guy isn't legit or good, it's just another marketing tool. It's the nature of the business. Doesn't mean he's a McKwoon. There are plenty of public commercial schools that are very good, just as there are many basement non-profit schools that suck. Go check it out and decide for yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123