Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:24pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger View Post
    Let me one up you and refer the OP to the following link of Matt Thornton "aliveness" video compilations:Matt Thornton: Words of Wisdom. A.K.A How to Train Martial Arts - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Question: How do make link show up as a word, such as, "here"?

Like this?

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All these comments on "alive training" have really switched my view point. The following are floating in my mind now, that I need to find an MA school, to suit all my (current) thoughts:

- A traditional MA, not watered down or turned into a fitness regime
    - Group training to ensure a mix of body types to fight with
    - Possibly still 1-2-1 training on the side to focus on technique with more dedication (maybe?)
    - Definately 100% must include alive training, and therefore be proven to be applicable

Damn, that rules out everywhere i've looked at so far. I'm not sure whether to settle on Wing Chun or not now. I'll keep it in mind as I like it theoretically, but it must qualify in practicality as mentioned.

Phew, hard work finding somewhere suitable. Not going to give up though!

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:36pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Like this?

Yes! I forget how that works exactly. Pm me how, or just let me know here, thanks.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [-url="http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80596"]this?[/url-]

Don't type the - they are just there to force it to be visible.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just type the word, highlight it, then click the link icon (Globe with a chain link image on top), then in the popup that appears enter the web address you want the word to link to. Unless i'm misunderstanding what you're asking..

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or that. I'm a geek though.

Opeterson, your list of requirements looks very good.

Also, dont mistake aliveness for roughness, aliveness doesnt have to be rough, but a lot of clubs train very rough, but still compliantly.

You seem to be leaning towards striking arts primarily, so muay thai or similar might be a good idea to check into.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do judo until you have your shodan (black belt) then look for a striking art if you still want to.

since you don't live in a tropical paradise, people generally wear clothes and quite often jackets, so judo is a very practical self defense art as well as being traditional and not watered down.

and this is coming from an instructor of chinese martial arts, so that should say something to you about the nature of my motives.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:51pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    [-url="http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80596"]this?[/url-]

Don't type the - they are just there to force it to be visible.

Thanks.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 4:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo. Yes, it is a TMA. Boxing. Yes, it should be the definition of TMA.

If you really are stuck on Chinese Martial Arts look for Sui Jiao or Sanda or Sanshou based schools. They need to have a very good competition record. I'm not saying they have to always win, I'm talking competing on a consistent basis.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    If you really are stuck on Chinese Martial Arts look for Sui Jiao or Sanda or Sanshou based schools. They need to have a very good competition record. I'm not saying they have to always win, I'm talking competing on a consistent basis.
    that competition should be in full contact and not point fighting tag. this issue gets overlooked often so i thought i should point it out.

the place might compete every month but if it's not full contact than i wouldn't put a lot of weight in their training.

it's fine if they *also* compete in point fighting (kids or beginners) but the seniors should be fighting full contact sanda or lei tai.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast