Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Switching to Wing Chun - what should I be looking for?

Hello,

I'm new here, so a quick hello to you all.

I've been learning mixed martial arts (may not be the entirely correct term) at a school in the West Midlands that does a bit of Karate and other things.

I've basically ceased to enjoy this for various reasons. Without needlessly pointing out negatives I want to go into the positives i'm looking for in a martial art:

I'm after a traditional style, that can be applicable (I took interest in the article about full-speed training for Wing Chun in this forum). I also don't want anything modified by someone (unless they have the "credentials" to do so, or spliced with another martial art, or watered down for whatever reason. Hopefully I don't sound too snotty here.

I'm very tired of reading about martial arts clubs that claim "This is the most realistic style.." as well as McDojos and fitness clubs packaged as martial arts, if that makes sense.

I've been searching far and wide for the best option that suits what i'm after. I originally thought of looking into the Shaolin Temple UK in London, but it's quite far to travel and i'd only manage at most 2 lessons a month.

I've settled for Wing Chun, being fascinated by the approach to center line, balance and the seemingly applicable nature of it. I also settled for this as it seems to be more widely available near my area in the UK (West Midlands).

To come to this decision i've read many, many web pages, watched many videos and e-mailed several people regarding prices and locations etc. I've taken into account travel, lesson fee, total cost including travel, and most of all, whether i'll enjoy it. Now that i've made my own mind up, and got a few options, i'm seeking the opinion(s) of an impartial 3rd party (that's you!).

Anyway, i've decided to go with private tuition, one lesson a week and have found a few options:

http://www.wingchundynamics.co.uk/ - 20 per hour lesson.

http://www.midlandswingchun.com/index.html - 30 per hour lesson

http://www.wingchun.uk.net/ - 15 per hour lesson

I know its possibly a long shot but is anyone familiar with the above?

I've only been doing martial arts (and questionably legitimate MA) for about a year and although in my head I have a clear idea of what i'm after, its hard to know if any or all of the above are offering value for money, a non-watered down traditional martial art that is genuinely applicable.

If not, can anyone think of some good questions to ask them to establish whether they're a decent school? Or is there anything on the websites there that gets alarm bells ringing.

I've been left overly cautious as I was a member of Bushido Academy of Martial Arts, which i'm sure many of you are familiar with (as I know from a few topics on here), and them being my first experience of martial arts has left me wondering how much they told me was utter nonsense, such as "Who cares about lineage..", and the constant down playing of other clubs.

I appreciate the best way would be to go for a lesson at each, but this is obviously costly. Although less costly than picking the wrong one I guess..

Thanks in advance. Hopefully it isn't too cheeky piping in with a question for my first post.
    Last edited by opeterson; 9/24/2009 2:48pm at .

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 2:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You haven't been doing mixed martial arts if it's "a bit of karate and other things." I suggest you take a few trial lessons at a well-reputed MMA school before delving into WC, as chun has an ugly habit of being cultish and overly theoretical. MMA and the styles influencing it are very hands-on, which chun rarely is.

There are a few million threads on this forum about ex-chunners who left for those reasons.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of the above. I saw no indication of sparring or alive training. The assistant instructor at the midlands trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (widely known for it's alive training) so who knows. I'd stay away from Wing Chun, if you're looking for "traditional" martial art look for kyokushin karate, judo, or a kung fu school that participates in Sanda or San Shou full contact competitions. Oh and welcome.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 2:51pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by opeterson View Post

How much????? I pay 4 for 2 hours.

I guess chunners feel they get what they pay for.

Seriously, you can't settle for any art before you've been on for a play, go visit a few different styles before you commit to anything, especially the mighty chun.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:09pm

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont do it!!!

As an ex Chunner (six years) i strongly recommend that you avoid all of the above schools.

This video has been posted MANY times on these forums so pay attention.
    YouTube - MATT THORNTON ALIVENESS - martial arts most important thing Straight blast

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David - thanks for the info. I've e-mailed all requesting info on sparring and alive training.

Yoj - those costs are for private tuition, 1-2-1. I thought 30 an hour was a bit high, but 15 and 20 seem about right for one hour of a skilled person's dedicated time. I think club lessons are all around the price you stated, but I assume you're not doing 1-2-1 (If you are you're getting a very good price!). Although maybe 1-2-1 isn't all its cracked out to be, I just prefer that sort of focused tuition.

Shawarma - thanks for the info, I thought MMA might be the wrong term. I certainly don't want anything cultish, and over-theoretical so i'll bare that in mind and will browse the forum to look for more info. I'll take some time looking up what MMA means because i'm a bit confused about the definition! Thanks for the food for thought.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kambei, a good point well made. Back to the drawing board.. d'oh.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you guys make of this Kung Fu school? http://www.kungfu-kickboxer.co.uk/bkfa_training.php

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:16pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Dont do it!!!

As an ex Chunner (six years) i strongly recommend that you avoid all of the above schools.

This video has been posted MANY times on these forums so pay attention.
    YouTube - MATT THORNTON ALIVENESS - martial arts most important thing Straight blast

Let me one up you and refer the OP to the following link of Matt Thornton "aliveness" video compilations:Matt Thornton: Words of Wisdom. A.K.A How to Train Martial Arts - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Question: How do make link show up as a word, such as, "here"?
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:22pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, don't bother with 1-1 training, you need different bodies, different sizes, different reactions in order to learn any martial art, and to be honest, the best way for an instructor to teach is often to be the person being 'beat up' if you will.

We typically have half a dozen on the mat, 2 of us are if you like instructors, so the ratio is good for learning in.

You may find the better schools are the less popular ones, people are drawn to middle of the road cardio point sparring crap, and the will have dozens in a class. We hurt each other, so we only have about 6 usually, often less. Food for thought.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast