222420 Bullies, 4547 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What Exercise Has Meant to Me

I truly believe that every human being has defining moments in their lives that change the way they grow, act, and feel about the world. If it possible that a single choice can change your life forever? Yes it is, I had an experience like that when I was 15 years old.

My birthday of November 26 was a bit of a surprise to my parents, considering I was expected in February. Due to complications I was born 3 months premature and clocking in at around 2 Ibs. Iím not sure how long I spend in an incubator, but I was so small that the only beanie they could find to fit my head came from my sister's doll. When my family eventually got to take me home I was hooked up to heart monitor at all times for about the first year.

Because of these early moments I never really had or developed any athletic prowess as a kid. I was always the uncoordinated, skinny kid who was picked last during PE. I remember during races I would get winded and cramp up only after a few moments and felt like a loser every time I came in last. I couldn't even run a lap or do a single pull up. It really had a negative effect on my self confidence.

Fast forward to age 15, my mother had just passed away and I just moved to a new city. In my younger years I had always been a bit socially awkward, but at least I had a good group of close friends and felt a kinship with most of my classmates. In this new city I felt alone and very much like an outsider trying to wiggle his way into any social group or clique that would have me. It didnít take long for football team to notice my nervous mannerisms and begin to hound me at every opportune time. I was teased, bullied, mocked, laughed at, became the butt of every cruel joke, and sank further into my already developed depression and became even less confidence. I felt very alone and powerless to do anything to better my situation.

Then one day while getting some lunch at the supermarket I came across the magazine section and something grabbed my attention. It was a fitness magazine showing the Body for Life Challenge showing featured pictures of people who had made amazing transformations to their bodies. Here was a skinny kid who now looks like a pro athlete. Another picture had a 65 year old granddad has lost over 30 Ibs of fat and changed his life. I was hypnotized by what these people had managed to do with their bodies and the improvement it had on their lives.

While I was reading the article the football team just happened to be passing by. One of the guys noticed me looking at a bodybuilding magazine, chuckled and yelled out ďfaggot!Ē before walking away. It was at that point that something clicked inside of me, something I hadn't felt in a while. For the longest time the only constant emotions I had were fear, anxiety, sadness, and self pity. Now there was anger and desire.

What right did these people have to torment me? What makes them think they knew anything about me or could judge me? I had had enough of it. I was determined then and there to never again feel weak, to let others trample all over me, or to allow myself to wallow in self hatred! I bought that magazine, opened it to page 1, and started to learn about exercise and bodybuilding.

My goal was simple at first: Since bullies only pick on those smaller and weaker then themselves, I would get bigger and stronger then all of them. I had a very humble beginning, I could only bench press about 95 Ibs for a few reps but I also had a burning desire to work till I changed my body. I kept lifting weights, 1 hour a day, 5 days a week.

My strength levels increased very quickly, I was up to benching 135 Ibs in a few weeks and added more then 100 Ibs on the leg press. My shallow chest was getting bigger, my narrow shoulders got broader, and my puny arms actually had some mass on them. People started to treat me different as well; I was no longer was the butt of every joke, and the jocks started to keep their mouths shut. During that summer break I was a man obsessed, I trained twice a day six days a week going to failure on every set. Every time I wanted to quite I thought back on all the wrongs people had done to me and knew that if I just got a little bit stronger I could put an end to it.

When I came back to school no one recognized me. I had gone from being the 150 Ibs out of shape, skinny kid to a strong and muscular 180 Ibs. People stopped picking on me after that and I felt great. I was confident in myself for the first time and anytime I felt blue I knew a few sets or a good run would help clear it up.

Most importantly I had learned that if I didn't like something about myself, I had the power to change it as long as I worked hard, smart, and consistently. I realized that you can always better your situation and that self improvement begins with a desire to change and the will to achieve your goal.

Exercise has given me an insight into what is possible with the right mindset and that your potential is determined by what you choose to do today and tomorrow, rather than your past failures. I hope you remember that you're the only one who can decide how you live your life and no matter what is stacked against you, you always have a choice on how you live.

I leave you with a question to ponder "Am I living the life you want to live?"

All the best to you, train hard, train smart

Jonathan Siegel - CPT

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ******!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can sympathise. really didn't fit in where i grew up and had a hard time as well.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn, good read. props and congratulations. never to late to start being who you wanna be, right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 12:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article. I remember deciding about a year ago to stop eating like ****, lose weight, and get physically active. Definitely one of the best decisions in my life and I haven't nearly reached my goals yet.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 10:05am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    ******!
    Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

COFFEEFAN SMASH!

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article. I had a similar experience, but much less dramatic, on a slow grade through high school. This, however:

"Most importantly I had learned that if I didn't like something about myself, I had the power to change it as long as I worked hard, smart, and consistently."

was the same, and was similarly powerful.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 10:55am

Style: Adult Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really liked this one. It is very inspirational and hits close to home. I was always picked on in school, even though I was a typical 6' 180 pounds. This still did not detour the bullies. It was not until I got out of high school did I then realize that size really has nothing to do with it. It comes down to confidence.

An example of this is when I went to a BucketHead concert in San Fransisco. My wife and I and her friends were getting ready for the band to take stage when a group of three jocks made there way through the crowd and planted themselves right in front of us. They were all 6'3" or bigger. They were tall and we could not really see over them. I was a bit pissed at this point as we had shown up early and made a point to get to a good viewing spot. Then here come these jerks late thinking they can just muscle there way in and get a closer spot then us. As the concert began they started to back into myself and my wife. I pushed them forward a few times to keep some space between us and them. This went on for about five minutes until I snapped. I took my right hand and made a fist, I then stuck my middle nuckle out and jabbed it into one of the guys shoulder blade and ribs. This got his attention real quick. He spun around and asked me what my problem was. His two other friends also turned around at this point to see what the problem was. I got up in his face and told him that I was going to kick his ass if he continued to back into us. I even offered to step outside with the three of them if they so chose. Well they all got real apologetic and said they had no desire to fight.

What I got from this encounter was that if you are the aggressor and show no weakness you will usually stop the fight before it even begins. I was just really amazed that all three backed down even though they were bigger and stronger and there were three of them. Needless to say that it was the ego boost I needed to stop taking peoples **** and just call em on it.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 12:06pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You completely missed the point of the article Dethlok.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 1:13pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Food for thought...!

(I'm such a ******...)
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast