Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 3:06am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    I would like to make a point that no one seems to understand. You don't teach or train MMA. You teach or train in respective disciplines, BJJ, boxing, fumanchu and whatever, and then apply them to an MMA rule set.

I consider myself an MMA coach but I really don't teach MMA. We teach Judo, BJJ, boxing, Muay Thai and sub grappling. While I say I am an MMA trainer I only help the guys integrate all the techniques that we teach them in the respective classes along with cage specific tactics. Our MMA class consist of putting on the pads and sparring with helpful advice during, between and after rounds. Specific technique training is taught in the classes.

Being an MMA trainer doesn't mean your an expert in all areas but that you have an understanding of each area.

The silly colored rash guard thing is what we are considering since we have 4 Gladiators Academy in the state now. Instead of Kano and Oyama we have Creduer and Clementi, LOL.
    What he said:

I've been saying this about Kickboxing for years.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 3:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Shoulda stuck with NHB, it has the more.....EXTREME feel to it.......IMO
    That's not entirely accurate either, as there are some holds that are barred. Fish-hooking and putting the finger in the doody-hole for example.

They should just call it Competitive Ass Beating.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 2:55am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my mma intructure does the same thing. i know there's not a governing body in mma like karate or taekwondo, but the only thing your belt represents is your skill level.

My instructure is 5th dan in tkd and he has also trained in greco-roman wresting, bjj and boxing. So he as formulated his own tests in a way that in order to (for example) become a yellow belt you have to do everything it takes to be a yellow belt in tkd (minus the katas), and we also have to do hard sparring in kickboxing (boxing + tkd) and hard sparring in grappling (bjj + greko roman wrestling). So its not like its BS. Just as long as the training is good, the belts should not bother you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 6:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we all are agreeing but in diffrent ways, the point I was trying to make has been said over and over, maybe I am not saying it right...... would not be the first time that happened.

If someone has a solid foundation in Martial Arts (say TKD like said above) and also has some training in BJJ, wrestling and boxing then combines them into MMA type skill sets and levels and wants to but a belt to it, is that really wrong?

Some on here seem to think if it is not a pure Martial Art you cannot put belts to it. And yes I agree MMA is not a Matial Art, it is more a fighting style per say, like self defense, or just a solid way to work out and also have self defense from it.

I think since there is no governing body, but to say that no one can train MMA with belts because its not a real Martial Art or a true Martial Art is kind of unfair. If the person is teaching a bunch of horse ****, then it is up to the student to recognize that and get the hell away from that school. Agreed?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again, I think Sambo got it right with the belt colors, and everyone else got it wrong.

Belt holds on the Gi jacket. If no jacket, no belt needed. Rash guard keeps the chest hair out of the mouth of everyone else. Colors...whatever.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 9:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please explain how Sambo does thier belts? I am guessing everyone wears the same, just to keep the Gi closed?

Thanks

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are two colors, red and blue. You wear what ever color you want when you train. When you are competing one person wears a red belt and the other wears a blue belt. Preferably you wear the appropriate color kurtka as well. So one person has red kurtka with red belt...

Basically it is there just to tell the difference between competitors in the match. Kinda like how in BJJ tournaments you wear either a red r blue band around your ankle. Otherwise the belt is to hold on the kurtka.

My kickboxing teacher always said, you are either student or teacher. No belt needed there.

In LEO combatives, the lower ranked students have black eyes and are tired after rolling for 3 minutes. The higher ranks roll for 8-30 minutes and get broken sweats not bones.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567