Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 6:45pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a little bit of research on the warrior defense people and they all trace their lineage back to this guy http://www.fearlessdefense.com/20749_4744.asp

He seems a bit on the shady side to me, but I do not feel compelled at this point to say we need a MABS investigation. But if anyone feels the need, go after them.

As for a BB in MMA, the only "mixed" martial art I would claim a BB in would be Kajukenbo. And I don't have one in that style. JMO.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously. you all are putting to much fucking value in the term "Black Belt". It's marketing, let it go at that.

The real issue would be if they falsely claimed to recieve that BB from someone important. Have they falsely claimed rank from anyone? They haven't (I think). So unless anyone here has trained with them, with students of theirs, or has fought them/students of theirs, no one here has anything relevant to add to this discussion.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 7:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who says you can be a black belt in one thing and not in another?
    Thats not what i meant, of course you can obviously ahieve a black belt in more than one particular art. What i was getting at is the fact there is no set organisation or governing body for 'MMA', its a broad spectrum of fighting styles that is grouped together under the umberlla of MMA. As opposed to say Kodokan Judo or Shotokan Karate

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 8:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And you missed my point too. Governing bodies and organizations are arbitrary and useless. They are just another marketing scam used to give some kind of credibility to someone, even though the orgs themselves are meaningless.

What if I created some dumb MMA governing body to issue these kinds of black belts? That would be stupid wouldn't it. But what makes organizations like the Kodokan any better then some organization we just make up? The answer is what matters.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 8:55pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    And you missed my point too. Governing bodies and organizations are arbitrary and useless. They are just another marketing scam used to give some kind of credibility to someone, even though the orgs themselves are meaningless.

What if I created some dumb MMA governing body to issue these kinds of black belts? That would be stupid wouldn't it. But what makes organizations like the Kodokan any better then some organization we just make up? The answer is what matters.

Are you serious? Am I missing sarcasm?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 9:24pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure BJ Penn gives out MMA black belts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 9:39pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dethklok View Post
    Have you called them or gone down there and asked them what qualifies them having a BB in MMA? I would be very interested in there response to that question.
    No. A couple of years ago when I was a blue belt and I heard they were there, I called and asked if I could stop in and train with them. I told them I was a Blue Belt at the time and I had some MMA experience. They told me not to bother coming in and they are not interested in having me train with them.

My problem with the whole thing is that I don't believe they are qualified to teach MMA. I don't think they even really know what MMA is.
    When you claim to be a black belt in MMA but have no MMA experience, that is, well, fraudulent to a degree.

I think they have a decent program when it comes to karate, family, kids and that but the whole MMA thing is definitely questionable.

And how do you get all those fancy tags next to your name?
    Last edited by SORT14; 9/22/2009 9:47pm at .

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 9:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you serious? Am I missing sarcasm?
    Care to elaborate on that?

No. A couple of years ago when I was a blue belt and I heard they were there, I called and asked if I could stop in and train with them. I told them I was a Blue Belt at the time and I had some MMA experience. They told me not to bother coming in and they are not interested in having me train with them.

My problem with the whole thing is that I don't believe they are qualified to teach MMA. I don't think they even really know what MMA is.
    When you claim to be a black belt in MMA but have no MMA experience, that is, well, fraudulent to a degree.

I think they have a decent program when it comes to karate, family, kids and that but the whole MMA thing is definitely questionable.
    THIS, is much more important than asking "well who the **** gave them a black belt!?"

I'm a little curious how they have mixed some kind of karate into an mma program.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 9:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SORT14 View Post
    This, above all else, stuck out at me as the single greatest indictment against these people.

Have you ever known of a legitimate instructor to say this to someone? I sure as hell haven't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 9:59pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    I'm pretty sure BJ Penn gives out MMA black belts.
    BJ Penn can give out a godamn red sash in MMA Kung Fu if he wants. The man is one of the best ever.

These guys don't quite have his qualification, however. (who does?)
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast