Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 3:44am

Style: Greco Roman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's possible the growing popularity in MMA can lead to alot more people training in things like Muay Thai and grappling and MMA gyms. It's also most likely that we will see wanna bes who don't train at all and wear MMA shirts often. MMA wanna bes are out there now, and the numbers are rising! people doing sloppy arm bars in the cafeteria, people doing superman punches in middle of class! :O

These people must be invited to a gym or a pandemic will happen

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 4:04am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bdang's right you know...

I remember when me and my mates needed to get across town after we were accused of shooting some guy for pointing out that we couldn't count. It was baseball season and a bunch of motherfuckers who looked like this kept chasing us:

Assholes. Thankfully I'd learned my forearm batsmash backfist. Thanks Stephen Keating.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 11:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my observations over the last 25 in Orange County, CA are...

1. Drunk driving used to be really cool and fun. Then MADD pointed out how many innocent people were getting killed, the police cracked down, and there is less violence in this area than 25 years ago. Along with it drunken brawls, as people are no longer drinking themselves stupid at backyard keggers and roaring from one party to another in hopped up 69 GTO's, etc.
    So here, today = less violence.

2. The punk rock scene brought with it knife play, burning ones self with cigarettes, and even a dance called "the worm" where a bunch of doped up punkers would break beer bottles on the ground, strip down a little, and roll around in the cesspool of stale beer, bacteria, and Hep C. (yek) This era being gone, there is less violence. Once again today = less.

3. Technology on the rise, the police are much better at tracking thugs and hooligans. The rise of the machines has brought Big Brother, an ever present watchdog. Today = less violence.

4. Rap music brought out all the white suburban wanna be's, talking tough and running to mama at the first sign of real violence. Most of these were talking about what they would do if they were Dr. Dre or Ice Cube or whatever, and most of them I encountered had chins made out of fine china, one good sock to the chops and it was lights out. (Getting Less violent)

I am not an MMA guy, but the MMA guys I know are actually a less violent crowd. First of all, most Instructors do not promote violence on the street. It's illegal to walk around beating the crap out of people, and as mentioned in number 3, unless you want to be like David Carradine in Kung Fu, (rest his soul) aimlessly wandering from town to town, a troublemaker will quickly get profiled. Second, most MMA guys don't want cuts and scrapes on their faces. They get several thousand bucks per fight, why get disqualified over a street scuffle (that could go sour quickly with a weapon, etc.)

Overall, I think we have a decrease in street violence, due to good policework, stiffer penalties, and perhaps the evolution of society.

I don't think an interest in MMA will increase violence, unless somewhere some students have a sociopath for a teacher. But that will be the exception, which only proves the rule.

What will bring an increase in violence is crappy parenting, but a good Martial Arts instructor can even help compensate for some of that!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 7:57pm

Style: TKD, Tang Soo, HDGD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did an increase in the popularity of pro wrestling lead to a world where your average 13 year old backyard wrestler could properly deliver a pile driver without hurting his stupid friend?
    No.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 11:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon do, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword View Post
    Are you implying that boxing is non-violent and MMA is violent? What does that attendance count of the events have to do with anything?
    I guess he thinks boxers are just playing patty cake.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567