Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know bdang. Just because something's popular as a spectator sport doesn't mean it's going to be widely practiced. Boxing and wrestling have a history of more than two millenia in the west and most people still do schoolyard push-and-shove and throw shitty haymakers in your average bar brawl. Maybe we'll see an increase in the number of people trying half-arsed armlocks and getting themselves punched in the balls.

On the subject of "bar brawls" I have anecdotal evidence that society (at least as far as the pub "culture") is becoming less violent rather than more. It makes the news because it is exceptional rather than commonplace.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:32am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdang View Post
    Who is saying that its popular but doesn't mean its practiced? - the boxing guy? He said I'm implying MMA is violent and boxing isn't... sure boxing is violent, but please read my last sentence of my original post.

The attendance at an MMA event is just a SIGN of the GROWING POPULARITY, the merchandising, new films being produced based on MMA with MMA stars etc etc - they all SUGGEST the growing popularity in MMA. Now with the amount of MMA gyms popping up, it would also suggest there are alot more interests from the common people.

The main point is, would the next generation be more capable of dealing out punishment than the generation now because it is much easier to find out how to perform a kimura/armbar/choke etc etc than in the previous generation. So instead of punching someone, people will be more incline to not only punch and kick but to also grapple and break body parts.
    ah, i see what you mean. its just that to me personally i wouldnt put grappling with someone in a more violent category than hitting someone. you might break someones arm in a playground fight with a kimura, or you might kill someone by punching their lights and their head hitting the pavement. its all much of a muchness.

Now, the real question would be are more people learning how to fight? really you would have to find some statistics for this but at a guess, no. the reason i say that is because people who have a REAL interest in learning how to fight will do so whether its through an MMA gym, wrestling gym, karate dojo, boxing gym etc. i dont think there are neccessarily more people doing it, more a jump from certain arts to others. id argue that people training in arts that are more realistic (like boxing, mma etc) are less likely to get into fights because they are aware of what can happen, so the more people involved in these arts and less people doing magic cow kung fu the better. of course you always have the asshole factor, but really, how many of those douchebags wearing affliction hats who did 2 mma lessons before they realised they didnt pack the nuts for the training are learning anything anyway? the turnover rates at schools that produce actual fighters are generally pretty fuckin high.

edit:
    How do you know theres more soccer players than rugby players? (out of curiosity) I would have thought rugby league or union would be the most... maybe soccer is gaining in popularity just like how it is here in Aus.
    2/3rds of a sport and exercise science degree. And I gave an A+ presentation on the history of rugby.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:32am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The world is no more or no less violent than it always has been.

Before MMA there was Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, Karate, Kung Fu movies, Judo, Pankration, Sword fighting tournmanets, and much much more. It didn't change the way pple are.

MMA isn't going to make the world more violent just like Kung Fu movie didn't make the world more violent when they were all the craze. The violence is always there will always be there and pretty much stays the same with a few spikes here and there.

Bottom line its a silly thread.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:33am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The result of been on the loosing end of a kumra or armbar" means a broken arm instead of a black eye or nose.
    No as pointed out before if you are on the loosing end you can get loose.

The words you mean are Kimura and losing. Loose¬Lose. Loose is not the same word as lose.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    On the subject of "bar brawls" I have anecdotal evidence that society (at least as far as the pub "culture") is becoming less violent rather than more. It makes the news because it is exceptional rather than commonplace.
    this isnt just anecdotal. crime rates have been on the whole in steady decline for a long ass time, what has gone up is the coverage. all i hear is "oh back in my day, the world was so much safer"

when actually it wasnt, its just that not every asshole had a phonecam to record some kid getting a beatdown at school. there was a case a little while ago where some schoolkids were organising fights and filming it- cue shock and horror from local community and country at large. i was watching it with my dad, he just shrugged and said it was like when he was a kid, except he grew up in dublin where schoolkids actually knew how to throw a punch. they just couldnt afford cameras to film it or they would have.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:41am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is saying that its popular but doesn't mean its practiced? - the boxing guy? He said I'm implying MMA is violent and boxing isn't... sure boxing is violent, but please read my last sentence of my original post.

The attendance at an MMA event is just a SIGN of the GROWING POPULARITY, the merchandising, new films being produced based on MMA with MMA stars etc etc - they all SUGGEST the growing popularity in MMA. Now with the amount of MMA gyms popping up, it would also suggest there are alot more interests from the common people.

The main point is, would the next generation be more capable of dealing out punishment than the generation now because it is much easier to find out how to perform a kimura/armbar/choke etc etc than in the previous generation. So instead of punching someone, people will be more incline to not only punch and kick but to also grapple and break body parts.

edit:
    How do you know theres more soccer players than rugby players? (out of curiosity) I would have thought rugby league or union would be the most... maybe soccer is gaining in popularity just like how it is here in Aus.
    What kind of violence are you referring to?

Street fights and muggings over here tend to work on uneven odds, like bigger numbers or weapons.

Furthermore, boxing, a great equalizer, has been popular for fucking ever. Doesn't mean that people are running down the street throwing bolo punches and check hooks. ::EDIT:: See alex's bit

People just use a fucking plank/knife/gun as they always have.

First you have to establish a correlation, such as "The growth in popularity of MMA corresponds to the growth in muggings, as evidenced by Fuckyourmother et al's study." but then you need to realise Correlation doe not equal causation.

Meaning that just because those two things have both occurred, one has not necessarily caused the other.

You could blame the economic downturn, the lack of religion in today's society, global warming causing less land mass to be available. You could make as many stupid fucking suggestions as you want. Doesn't mean any of it's true.

Waste of bandwidth. This is highschool stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:44am

Style: Yang Mian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood - one more question:
    Are people becoming more efficient fighters?

Before the big MMA push, we had karate/boxing/kungfu/judo etc etc all separated. Now that MMA is becoming more popular, people can see that karate/boxing/kungfu/judo on its own is not good enough when it comes down to 'real' combat sport.

Now people can see that to become better and more deadlier fighters they need to train in all sorts of fighting arts - which, thanks to the popularity of MMA, has become easier than ever.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    id probably say theres less bullshit in martial arts than there was 10 years ago. but less is a relative term, theres still a fucking ASSBAG of it out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:49am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You still don't get it. You mean something else: that practitioners of MA are becoming more efficient/effective, not 'people in general'. Because the majority of people lacks the interest and the will for full contact sports, there won't be a 'people are becoming more effective fighters'.

There might be a shift towards the more trendy MA, such as BJJ or MMA competition format, away from the more 'traditional' ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:56am

Style: Yang Mian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    You still don't get it. You mean something else: that practitioners of MA are becoming more efficient/effective, not 'people in general'. Because the majority of people lacks the interest and the will for full contact sports, there won't be a 'people are becoming more effective fighters'.

There might be a shift towards the more trendy MA, such as BJJ or MMA competition format, away from the more 'traditional' ones.
    Thats correct. I meant practioners of MA.
    But at the same time, I still think with the popularity of MMA there will be more people who learn how to fight than previously. Theres just too much exposure of MMA to ignore its influential effects on young men. Monkey see monkey do.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast