Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 1:11am

Style: Yang Mian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are we setting ourselves up for a more violent world?

Ok,
    Heres a thought.
    Now that MMA is becoming much more popular and and still growing at incredible rates (no I don't have any stats), I'm basing this on world events - for example the mayweather vs marquez fight had 4 thousand less attendees than the UFC event. Its also obvious that MMA events are becoming more mainstream by people wearing TapOut T-shirts and other merchandising.

Anyways, as MMA becomes more and more mainstream, does this mean the next generation would become more and more skilled in 'self defense' and would this make society a better or worst place to live in? Would it make society more violent or would it make it less?

Would school yard fights be different? instead of going home with a black eye and broken nose you go home with the result of been on the loosing end of an armbar or kimura.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 1:24am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One can only hope.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 1:46am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if you were on the "loosing" end of a kimura or armbar it should be pretty easy to get out of it.

bdang, every post you make sets me up to get more violent, lol.

There is a few ways to look at it and I just wanted to get that last sentence off before I finish work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 1:47am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you implying that boxing is non-violent and MMA is violent? What does that attendance count of the events have to do with anything?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 1:50am

Style: Nihon Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering the amount of people involved in MA: I don't think so Tim

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:15am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moenstah View Post
    considering the amount of people involved in ma:i don't think so tim

oh no you didn't!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Well if you were on the "loosing" end of a kimura or armbar it should be pretty easy to get out of it.

bdang, every post you make sets me up to get more violent, lol.

There is a few ways to look at it and I just wanted to get that last sentence off before I finish work.
    "The result of been on the loosing end of a kumra or armbar" means a broken arm instead of a black eye or nose.
    It sets you up to get more violent? - I didn't know I had such an impact on your life.

Are you implying that boxing is non-violent and MMA is violent? What does that attendance count of the events have to do with anything?
    Jesus... are you reading whole paragraphs or just sentences? If you read the part before that sentence - it saids I think MMA is growing in popularity, no I do not have any stats on it (because it seems like anything you assume will need stats), I was basing that assumption on the fact that there were less people who attended the boxing even than a UFC event, to me this shows that MMA is growing popularity. 10 years ago a major boxing event would have had a much larger presence compared to an MMA event - does this make it clearer? Besides this post is not about that, now is it?

considering the amount of people involved in MA: I don't think so Tim
    I don't get it. I mean I get the reference to t.v show but what do you mean by the amount of people involved in MA?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:56am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he is saying that just because something is popular doesnt mean that its practiced. more kids in NZ play soccer than play rugby, but most NZers wouldnt even know the name of our national soccer team (do we have one?)

your point is, well, nonsensical. im not sure what connection you're trying to make here between attendance at an mma event and the world getting more violent (which it isnt, btw)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    he is saying that just because something is popular doesnt mean that its practiced. more kids in NZ play soccer than play rugby, but most NZers wouldnt even know the name of our national soccer team (do we have one?)

your point is, well, nonsensical. im not sure what connection you're trying to make here between attendance at an mma event and the world getting more violent (which it isnt, btw)
    Who is saying that its popular but doesn't mean its practiced? - the boxing guy? He said I'm implying MMA is violent and boxing isn't... sure boxing is violent, but please read my last sentence of my original post.

The attendance at an MMA event is just a SIGN of the GROWING POPULARITY, the merchandising, new films being produced based on MMA with MMA stars etc etc - they all SUGGEST the growing popularity in MMA. Now with the amount of MMA gyms popping up, it would also suggest there are alot more interests from the common people.

The main point is, would the next generation be more capable of dealing out punishment than the generation now because it is much easier to find out how to perform a kimura/armbar/choke etc etc than in the previous generation. So instead of punching someone, people will be more incline to not only punch and kick but to also grapple and break body parts.

edit:
    How do you know theres more soccer players than rugby players? (out of curiosity) I would have thought rugby league or union would be the most... maybe soccer is gaining in popularity just like how it is here in Aus.
    Last edited by bdang; 9/21/2009 3:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 3:20am

Style: Nihon Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Alex.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast