Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 6:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During sparring I switch stances a bit more tactically, but I do catch myself switching without thinking. In the fight I don't know whats going on, but I think I was switching in reaction to his stances as he either just squared up or blindly chasing after me. This weekend sparring I noticed that I switch a lot, often without reason. Do you have any tips? Its something I never thought through, but I do on instinct and most of the time it helps. Other times it doesn't..

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 8:17pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay southpaw. It rocks. You can get away with a lot in sparring, especially against people not on your level. I can spar most people at my gym with my hands down, my chin in the air and in a long karate stance without getting caught.. doesn't make it the right thing to do. Treat every sparring match with fight intensity.

When someone switches to southpaw to deal with you being southpaw, that is an advantage for you. Its basically a big telepraph'd neon message saying 'i'm going to throw right lead kicks and right hand punches' and a big bullseye target right on their lead leg.

It's definitely a better idea for you to stick with one stance for now, good switch-hitters are rare at the top fight level let alone pre-10 fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    I'm just trying to help.
    I'm saying he was anxious, and that affected his performance. I did not not say he was backing up running away.
    Telling someone not to be anxious in their first few fights is massive arm-chair generalship. May as well tell him to use the force.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 9:06pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah.

But seriously, new and veteran fighters will be anxious. It's the veterans that have learned how to deal with it (along with habituation). Do you really believe that a new fighter that needs to relax would fight the same if he knew relaxing was important compared to not knowing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2009 8:41pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only thing I can really add that hasn't been said is that you tended to turtle up, let the guy get too many hits in before responding with your own, and you tended to turn slightly away when doing so too. Don't let him get more than four or so swings in before firing back with your own. He also tended to lead his punches with his chin, but you weren't able to take advantage of it.

Also, total sidenote, but why not fight Muay Thai? Fights always look a bit more retarded without the clinch, but maybe thats just cuz I like to clinch.

Anyway, you really didn't look bad at all overall, I was a little surprised they stopped the fight on that kick, and good luck on the next one.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 8:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmz...if it's your first fight it's acceptable.
    it's like first time sex, you frollick around for a bit trying to get the feel for it.
    if you've been training for over a year i seriously suggest you change to another school.
    technical wise it was crap from both sides but im under the assumption this was a first fight for the both of you.
    i still shiver when i think of my first fight, it was mirrorfighting all rounds through.

oh well, like i always say: at least you were in that ring!
    props dude!

Yours truly

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 9:22am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bummer is that there aren't that may KB options available here. Outside this town, there are quite a bit. Armory @ daytona (richard crunkilton) the various ATT schools.

But in this town, I basically have my boxing coach (good boxing coach), the university club (where there are only a few guys more skilled than me), and the local goju USA and kung fu facility. But very good karate and kung fu.

But yeah, no serious kickboxing schools. I make do the best I can sparring guys better than me and sessions with my boxing coach.

Thanks for the props though. I hope I fight like I can spar sometime soon.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 9:45am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to tell due to first fight syndrome but I can think of two things that may help you.

1) Improve your leg kicks. You didn't seem to target his legs much at all. That's probably because you have been preparing for FC rules but shiny pants kickboxing is almost dead. You need to be ready for K-1 rules and Muay Thai if you want to get fights. Wear big ass nerf shin pads in sparring and light your partners legs up. Be kicking to disturb their base not just slap their legs. People won't be able to rush you if you learn to step off the line and throw power leg kicks.

2) Ask your training partner to hit you harder. This may be first fight sysndrome but you looked physically surprised everytime you took a good headshot. That split second lets your opponent know you got hit and opens you to combinations. When you get hit harder in the ehad in practive you can learn to immediately counter or maintain your defense. Either way you will be better off than that OMFG I just got hit reaction.

Both of these are very common problems in early career kickboxers so don't feel bad about it.

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 4:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Be kicking to disturb their base not just slap their legs. People won't be able to rush you if you learn to step off the line and throw power leg kicks.

2) Ask your training partner to hit you harder. This may be first fight sysndrome but you looked physically surprised everytime you took a good headshot.
    yup!
    read this again and again, thats it.

frustrate his game, by for example inside leg kick, aim for the (in)side part of the knee so you lift up the opponents leg, then follow up or reposition.
    Your coach will know, ask him about it.
    ;-)

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 5:44am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can vouch for the effectiveness of a good leg kick when they are coming in. I got dumped on my arse 5 times in the first round to a lighter opponent doing this every time i came in, incredibly frustrating.

WhiteShark and Lebell, is it common when doing this to target the shin/calf instead of the thigh? I don't remember it happening but i had 5-6 big bruises well below the knee after the fight.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 8:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post

WhiteShark and Lebell, is it common when doing this to target the shin/calf instead of the thigh? I don't remember it happening but i had 5-6 big bruises well below the knee after the fight.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Personally i never target the shin/calf unless its sanda/sanshou and im going for a sweep.
    Maybe Whiteshark knows more.

A personal fav of mine is targeting the inside of the knee, so i make a inside legkick, and swing in my hip, not overcommiting though, so i hook my foot into his knee cavity lifting the leg up, its a lose upwards kick.
    When he's up you can do a follow up, depends on how his position is towards you.
    I did a routine at the belgian TD with Moenstah but you cant see it properly on video, its basically an inside legkick immidiately followed by jab and/or overhook.
    if you go to the Belgian Td vids (vid2) you can see me do it but it happens real quick so look carefully.

another great way to frustrate the opponents gameplan is simply jab.
    Don't know what to do?
    JAB!

edit: the exact spot where you want to lift the leg is some 10 centimeters above his kneecavity, so sorta on the thigh side.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast