Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 1:55am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I need to work on my mental state, I kept turning away. My punches weren't there. I wasn't really there. I was missing the single most crucial element in a fight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 1:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai and no Clinch and knees? Other than that, His technique did not look better than yours IMHO,

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    International. Basically Leg kicks, waist up, no clinch and no knees. Its like watered down K1 with no knees and clinchwork.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah you actually didnt look too bad but the difference in size was a pretty telling factor, and you didnt quite have enough in the tank. i wouldnt feel bad about losing that fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 5:32pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking about specific things to suggest for improvement, but I think a lot of it really stems from you not being there mentally. If I was pointing out specific things that you could improve, I think I'd come off more critical and jerky than helpful.

I agree with pretty much what everyone else has already said, but I'd like to add that I commend you for getting in there when the odds are against you, AND posting the loss. Takes balls. Just relax, keep your focus, and I'm sure you'll kick some ass next time!

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its okay, I would appreciate any and every advice that would help me make sure that I DESTROY my next opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Its okay, I would appreciate any and every advice that would help me make sure that I DESTROY my next opponent.
    You gotta be there mentally. Think CroCop OWGP compared to now. Or GSP now compared to his first fight with Hughes.

Everything else seems to stem from that:
    -He's crowding you: throw lots of straights on his way in...either it'll back him up or he'll have to deal with them on the way in.
    -Your kicks in the 1st round were almost all stuffed because you didn't guage your range (and he was crowding you). Tiip more.
    -His dirty boxing (grabbing your head) was illegal, but the ref didn't do anything about it. If he grabs you with a single collartie, fish your arm inside his and take a single collartie on him. If his elbow is in, bump it out if you can without eating his other punches.
    -He liked to get close then throw lefthook-righthook-lefthook-righthook. Either start throwing uppercuts (if you can time them right) or duck under the right hook and counter with a left hook (body or head) or duck under the left hook and counter with a right cross.
    -keep your hands up!
    -Head movement might be more difficult with the headgear on, but move your head!

You had some problems with this guy's style. Describe the style to one of your sparring partners and have them use it on you.

Paramount to all these things is your mentality. You seemed to have problems pulling the trigger, like you were too anxious (you would often "fake" what you would do before you would do it...but it looked more like hesitation than purposeful).

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 12:00pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** off permahudef, his "mentality" was perfectly fine for a first fight. He didn't back up too much or run away, was aggressive and came back strong after each 8 count.
    dwfym, do you switch stances often during training? For a lot of that fight you were standing orthodox and firing only lefts/left kicks, being a switch-fighter might be a bit too soon for you.

I'm sure you're also aware that when you were throwing punches your other hand was often at nipple height, you need to keep it glued to your face. I didn't see you doing this in your sparring video so i'm assuming it was the stress and adrenalin doing it.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 1:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    **** off permahudef, his "mentality" was perfectly fine for a first fight. He didn't back up too much or run away, was aggressive and came back strong after each 8 count.
    I'm just trying to help.
    I'm saying he was anxious, and that affected his performance. I did not not say he was backing up running away.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Sang.

And Sang ->
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef
    I think I'd come off more critical and jerky than helpful.
    In response..
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym
    I actually have experience in pankration/mma. No head strikes though (way different game, much lower pressure), and its been years. But I was vicious enough to beat people to oblivion with leg kicks on those matches (all my lossees were subs, and most of my wins were points with striking) So I have no excuse not to be there mentally.

If I had been there, I would have fought smarter. But from what I hear from you that leap isn't as simple, and requires experience. Maybe even 5 fights like you said.

So I will train harder and spar smarter.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast